iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Black Walnut Planting

Started by cheyenne, October 16, 2010, 11:50:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandhills

HiTech, they're the best eating as far as I'm concerned but you could starve to death trying to get the meat out of them  :D.  I planted a short row of nuts last fall so we'll have to see what comes up, took the advice from the squirrels and just put them in the ground.  :)

HiTech

The squirrels don't seem to have a problem getting the meat out. lol They will eat one side and flip it over and do the other. They look like they might be a pain getting the meat out. Perhaps a hammer will help. lol I will have to try some this fall.

SwampDonkey

One of our sponsors sells a walnut sheller. (Lawn and Gardening Tools). Lower left on this page.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

beenthere

Recently I learned a trick from this video to remove black walnut nut meats from the cracked shells (after I use the vise to crack the shell) is to use side nips (dikes or wire cutters) to nip at the shell and easily release the meat.
This video at around 7.30 minutes shows the wire cutters used. The whole video is a good one to show the entire process with black walnuts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=fvwp&v=w5wjt10Rmvw&NR=1
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

sandhills

Thanks beenthere, I'd never heard of that before.  Do you think a guy could build a cracker from one of the older, small roller mills used to crack corn?  I like to see what the rolls look like inside one of the powered machines I don't think they'd be too hard to duplicate if the rollers would work.

WDH

BT,

That was informative.  I know all about the hammer, just never used the wire cutters. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!