iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Made some barn windows

Started by Don P, August 30, 2019, 10:34:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Don P

The barn we're working on needs some new windows. There was an old one that was worse for wear but it let me copy the style which was pretty simple, a tablesaw blade at a 20° angle is the molding pattern. That made making and coping the parts easy.
These are the stiles and rails;

This is a bottom rail and stile test fitted

Ripping the tenon haunches on the bandsaw

Using the hollow chisel mortiser on the drill press to finish the haunches. I also used it to punch the mortises in the stiles and rails. In the end I chucked up the 1/4" hollow chisel and punched diamond shaped peg holes in each corner of the frame through the mortises and tenons.

Test fitting the sash frame

Then fitting the muntins

And the finished product

These will be center pivot windows so that's easy, just a barrel bolt on each side into the frame and they will pivot and be easily removed.

I was really trialing these, now I need to jig up my clients farm shop and show him how, there are about 15 more windows to go. Anyway, simple windows for utility buildings are not that tough to make.

Ea$y Money

Your final product picture confirms that you have forgotten about more tools than I will ever own. (tips hat)
The harder you work, the luckier you get.

Timberking 1400 w/Diesel engine and Setworks, IH 986, Kubota M5-091, Lincoln Pipeliner SA-250 Diesel Welder, Lots of Stihl, Warn 8274 Winch.

SwampDonkey

Those are dandies Don, good job. That's pretty much how they was made here on the old houses to. Packed the glass with putty. Of course them old houses was built like barns and just as cold. :D :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

caveman

Those look great.  Your easy projects would be my masterpieces.  
Caveman

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

samandothers

I am with Caveman on this one!  Great job.  Reading and reviewing your pictures make it look and sound simple.  However the skill is in the execution and your final product really shows your skill.  Bravo!

Don P

I hadn't made any in 35 years. It didn't occur to me until the last year or two that my boss back then set me up. He knew of a beautiful old solid chestnut church up in the mountains where we could get married. When I talked to the pastor he mentioned that they needed the windows replaced and it was going to be too costly. I offered and my boss gave me run of the shop so Michelle was helping paint windows the morning of our wedding. This should have been a sign to her :D. Those had a molded thumbnail profile and I ground knives to match it but the coping was all with coping saw, knife and sanding blocks whittled to shape so my memory was of it being pretty time consuming. If you watch public tv in NC you've probably seen that old church. I've come to appreciate the simple craftsman style of these, everything was done with pretty basic shop tools.

Ruffgear

Nice work 👌, you make it look easy

Bruno of NH

Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

hacknchop

You are one talented individual , it must be very satisfying to be able to make that barn retain it's appeal, in that most folks me included would replaced the windows with some modern vinyl clad window and it just would'nt be the same.
Often wrong never indoubt

scsmith42

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Thank You Sponsors!