iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Printer problem

Started by sawguy21, September 14, 2018, 07:19:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawguy21

I installed a Canon MX450 printer yesterday and everything seemed fine. Today the printer responds to the commands, spits out paper but no image and no error message. Any ideas on where to go from here?
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Magicman

Be sure that the "FINE" cartridge on the left is locked in securely.  Remove it and reinstall.  Be sure that the ink cartridge lock lever is pushed up and secure.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sawguy21

Now I get a message saying ink is low. That will do it. The machine was purchased used so no idea how much it was used.

Magicman

That FINE cartridge will dry out if not used fairly regularly.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

sawguy21

She said the unit had seen little use so that could well be the problem. They upgraded their system including a new printer. I would have preferred a laser but for 20 bucks I really can't go wrong except new cartridges are probably that much each.

Hilltop366

If you are using a Mac there have been issues with printing some types of files from webpages (I think it was a pdf), I have had to change the file type to jpeg to get some things to print.

I have pretty much given up on inkjet printers, I seem to have less and less patience for things that don't work properly (I may fire myself some day). I don't use them enough to keep them from drying out so I end up running the clean cycle a bunch of times and run out of ink by the time I get it to work.

At work I got a black ink only laser printer it is way faster and has always worked so far. I almost got a colour laser printer for home until I looked up the price for the replacement cartridges, almost $500!!

If it ends up being a clogged nozzle there are videos on youtube on cleaning them.

lxskllr

+1 on the laser printer. They work great on everything but photos. For those, I'd just take them to a printer, or better yet, view them on a screen. Takes up less physical space.

sawguy21

I installed new cartridges today, machine works as advertised. I paid $20 for the machine on a local buy and sell, the cartridges set me back $81!!! I could have bought a machine new for less than that but it is what it is. I hope they last for a while.

lxskllr

If it makes you feel any better, a lot of printers only come with "starter" cartridges, so you aren't getting a full loadout of ink. Comparing ink cost to a new printers usually isn't a direct comparison.

sawguy21

Interesting, I didn't know that. I probably got the originals with it.