Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' 2024 ??

Started by Magicman, December 31, 2023, 05:14:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mudfarmer

Love some cherry (old pics) :thumbsup:

Oops started a new page. This is related to the stuff back there

caveman

Quote from: doc henderson on May 07, 2024, 11:33:23 AMsome may take offense to the CEO comment.  not always a complement in some circles!  :thumbsup: :snowball: ffcheesy ffcheesy ffcheesy
We may elect him CFO.
Caveman

Magicman

This is a LINK to probably the largest total Cherry job that I have sawn, 2609bf. 

DSCN0722
I believe that this 31" butt Cherry is the largest that I have sawn.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Magicman

I reduced my blade inventory again today by 2.  A nail and yup an eye screw.  5 blades lost so far on this job.  This is some of the 9200+bf that I have sawn on this job.  Only two logs left that we will finish sawing Thursday morning.  Mostly 2X6 & 2X8 framing lumber for a new home for the customer.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Magicman

Dug it out, put a new blade on, and kept on keeping on.  ffcool

jpassardi

Quite a cherry log there...

That looks all too familiar Lynn: -Customer's hickory below
LT15 W/Trailer, Log Turner, Power Feed & up/down
CAT 416 Backhoe W/ Self Built Hydraulic Thumb and Forks
Husky 372XP, 550XPG, 60, 50,   WM CBN Sharpener & Setter
40K # Excavator, Bobcat 763, Kubota RTV 900
Orlan Wood Gasification Boiler -Slab Disposer

TimW

Wow Lynn, that makes you the Cherry King!
Does Cherry saw like ERC or more like SYP?
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

Magicman

Never thought much about comparing Tim, but there is not much different between sawing anything unless there is blade buildup.  Sawing is sawing.

Pitchy Pine and Longleaf are my worst blade buildup species that I regularly saw.  Ash and Live Oak are bad, but I seldom saw either.

TimW

I guess  I should ask.............is Cherry a hard hardwood or a soft hardwood?
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

Magicman

I would consider it hard like Sycamore and Beech.

doc henderson

Quote from: Magicman on May 07, 2024, 07:13:24 PMThis is a LINK to probably the largest total Cherry job that I have sawn, 2609bf. 

I believe that this 31" butt Cherry is the largest that I have sawn.
I think the past tense for see is seen!   ffsmiley   Or maybe down south it is seeed!   ffcheesy ffcheesy ffcheesy  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Magicman

Got nothing to do with see nor seeing.

Sawn as in sawed....verb, past participle of saw.  LINK

TimW

TimW

Quote from: Magicman on May 07, 2024, 08:59:30 PMI would consider it hard like Sycamore and Beech.
DanG it all Lynn,  I have never sawn Sycamore or Beech either.
On your list of favorite woods to saw, where is Cherry on your list?

Magicman

I don't have such a list, I just saws um and leaves um.  Actually never thought about a "favorite".  I saw very little Cherry.

Well OK, Walnut would have to be a favorite simply because it is.....Walnut.  ffsmiley

doc henderson

come on Lynn, don't dangle your participle.  ffcheesy ffcheesy ffcheesy ffcool
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Magicman

doc, Just stick with your "other" language.......Latin.  ffcheesy

TimW

Doc,
   I guess Magicman needs a prescription.  He's asking for you to Latin speak. smiley_smug01

Larry

My biggest cherry job is what I call the golf course job. In 2019 a tornado and high winds hit a local golf course taking down a huge amount of trees including a lot of cherry.

The downed trees were on the golf course and the only way to get them off the golf course was over the course. Lots of 36" logs but to reduce impact on the grounds the big ones would be cut a little over 6' long.

Of course there was some poor logs but not without value. We have a Bikes, Blues, BBQ festival. Cherry smoking wood is in high demand.

The golf course grounds crew would bring out a trailer load of good logs about every two or three weeks for the 6 months it took to clean up the course. I sawed all the cherry on a share basics as I wanted the wood. The golf course is on the LPGA tour and iffen you want a little cherry table made from cherry wood that came from the course just give me a hollar......and bring lots of $$$$$'s.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

jpassardi

36" cherry is a honker, the only thing I touch that big is EWP
LT15 W/Trailer, Log Turner, Power Feed & up/down
CAT 416 Backhoe W/ Self Built Hydraulic Thumb and Forks
Husky 372XP, 550XPG, 60, 50,   WM CBN Sharpener & Setter
40K # Excavator, Bobcat 763, Kubota RTV 900
Orlan Wood Gasification Boiler -Slab Disposer

Magicman

I laid this one by as finished this morning, but I had previously overestimated what I thought the bf count would be.

We had two logs to saw this morning in about 2 hours:
IMG_5661.JPG
This morning's logs which yielded 810 bf.

IMG_5671~0.JPG
13- 2X8's, 30- 2X6's, and 5- 2X4's.

IMG_5672~0.JPG
Another whack of mostly 2X6's and 2X8's sawed this week. 

The total tally for the job was 7643 bf. 

I hope that I am looking out my front window when they light that slab teepee off.  :shocked2:

Peter Drouin

Quote from: Magicman on May 09, 2024, 04:52:54 PMI laid this one by as finished this morning, but I had previously overestimated what I thought the bf count would be.

We had two logs to saw this morning in about 2 hours:
IMG_5661.JPG
This morning's logs which yielded 810 bf.

IMG_5671~0.JPG
13- 2X8's, 30- 2X6's, and 5- 2X4's.

IMG_5672~0.JPG
Another whack of mostly 2X6's and 2X8's sawed this week. 

The total tally for the job was 7643 bf. 

I hope that I am looking out my front window when they light that slab teepee off.  :shocked2:
With your 810bf I came up with 560bf. ffsmiley
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Magicman

Get a grip Peter.  

That was sawed dimensional thickness and full width as per the customer's cut list.  :thumbsup:

Peter Drouin

My bad, 608 :thumbsup: whatever. Your math won't work in the North East, most people are too sharp up here for that. ffcheesy
Do what you want, I won't bring it up again. :thumbsup:
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Magicman

Good, this is a tired subject that is well worn and has been addressed several times in the past.  There is nothing wrong with my math and people in the South are not stupid as you inferred.

I do not sell lumber, I only sell a sawing service.  My price for sawing is the same for everyone and all dimensions are rounded up to the next even number.  i.e. The rate for sawing a 2X4 is the same regardless of the actual thickness or width up to 2" and 4".

There is nothing sneaky nor underhanded.  Everything is spelled out in my sawing contract that is read word for word by me to the customer before both of us signs.  He gets a copy and I retain a copy for my records.

Thank You Sponsors!