iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Post a pic of your biggest log sawn!

Started by busenitzcww, August 12, 2020, 08:08:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

busenitzcww

What the biggest log you've sawn? Just busted down a 54"x 15' long bur oak today into 12/4 slabs. Don't wanna do that again for a long time!

scsmith42

Biggest log was 72" black oak, 14' long.

The longest that I've milled so far is 12" x 16" x 43'.  I've milled some 44' 4/4 too.

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

barbender

I know better than to play, "who's sawn the biggest log?" with this group- things get serious pretty quick!😊
Too many irons in the fire

Ianab

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

busenitzcww

Scsmith that is an impressive beam! It seems like I read about that somewhere else? They went into a restaurant/bar I think? The weight on some of those has got to be insane!

scsmith42

Quote from: busenitzcww on August 13, 2020, 08:34:33 AM
Scsmith that is an impressive beam! It seems like I read about that somewhere else? They went into a restaurant/bar I think? The weight on some of those has got to be insane!
Here is the FF thread about milling the big beams:
https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=61982.0
There was also a similar thread on the Sawmill Creek website around the same time.

offrink

My personal largest is a burr oak. The slabs were 12/4 or 14/4 and 60-62" at the narrow end and 80" at the wide end 14' long. 

teakwood

Mine looks pretty small beside the logs above, but it wouldn't fit on my sawmill
It's a tropical cedar

National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

JRWoodchuck

Home built bandsaw mill still trying find the owners manual!

barbender

Is that some Kansas red cedar, Doc?😁

NZJake

Here is a big hardwood log we sawed in after Cyclone Pam in Vanuatu.

Wife says I woke up one morning half asleep uttering thin kerf and high production, I think I need a hobby other than milling?

doc henderson

I wish.  I think it is photo shopped.  I had nothing to compare so put that in. all in fun! 8) :) :D
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Dangerous_Dan

First you make it work, then you trick it out!

JJ

30 years ago DD?
did it cut up with that saw?

what became of that monster?

Dangerous_Dan

Don't get ahead of me, I think it's only 14 years.
It had to be split with a chainsaw to get it to fit on the mill.
We milled it into 4x4s and 2 wide slabs.
Not sure where it ended up.

First you make it work, then you trick it out!

barbender

Skip

Looks like a big ole poplar , got some behind the house that should have been cut years ago .

JoshNZ

I've not milled it but for interests sake while on topic... Google search New Zealands Tane Mahuta. I don't know who gets to mill it when it falls over but as it's nearly as wide as my mill is long, I won't have my name in the hat =[].

Supposedly a 14ft 5" diameter base. Trunk volume of 108275 bdft xD.

ShapingGrain

Wood-Mizer LT40HD38

DR Buck

This one was a group effort.      

Mark Strictland  aka Ga_Boy

Dr_Buck aka Me.

Dan _Shade  aka that guy.  ;D

This is the largest I've done on my own.

Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

scsmith42

That was the George Washington log, wasn't it?

kelLOGg

It's time for others to join in on this thread. Title says "your biggest log" not 'the biggest log" ;) So here's half of my biggest:

The max for the mill is 32" and it was 34" dia so I had to halve it with a chainsaw which I hope I don't have to do again.
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

JV

Back several years ago I slabbed a 46" dry WO log.  Took 15" and a tank of gas per cut.  I don't know if I could pick that rig up today.    

John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

bwstout

After looking at all of the monster log I don't have in bragging rights but just my biggest log 

31"x 10' RO

home built mill

DR Buck

Quote from: scsmith42 on August 19, 2020, 11:40:44 PM
That was the George Washington log, wasn't it?
It was the "Kennedy" log from the Kennedy estate in McLean Va.   The tree came down in 2005 from root rot and Bobby Kennedy's widow Ethel wanted the mess cleaned up.   We go paid to take it  and made bundle off the lumber.    I'm actually getting ready to plane and clean up some 12/4 pieces I still have for a fireplace mantel in my house remodel.    
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Andries

Soon to be log cabin parts.
Roof decking, faux beams, cladding and spiral stair components.
Western Red cedar, most of these logs were 35 to 45 feet long.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Andries

Spiral stair 'spring boards' are ripped out of logs that go beyond mill capacity.

That's a 36" bar on the MS660. 
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Andries

There's a few truckloads in each build.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Andries

Long 5/4 boards have a bit of flex to'em!
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Andries

When this work first showed up, I hafta admit, it was DanG intimadating!
A visit to @customsawyer set me straight, with a: "c'mon Scooter, just get at'er!" 
Thanks Jake.  ;D 
<br
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Ljohnsaw

I don't have any before pictures but I did get some 32" slabs out of a big cedar.

Which became:

Then I have these to attack next week - the biggest is 34".

John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

terrifictimbersllc

Here's another one, 6' x 12' beech, 275 yrs old.  Getting ready to roll it.

Here it is rolled.....

This was a nice day.  

Two months later I shaved down the sides to 5' and slabbed it with my Peterson.  

150 miles from home, in the rain.  

Can't tell you why, other than that I told a nice customer that I would do it so I did. 
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

customsawyer

Quote from: Andries on August 21, 2020, 02:35:59 PM
When this work first showed up, I hafta admit, it was DanG intimadating!
A visit to @customsawyer set me straight, with a: "c'mon Scooter, just get at'er!"
Thanks Jake.  ;D
<br

You have done just that my friend, and done it well.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Magicman

This has to be my largest and was sawn just a few weeks ago.  37½" butt and 20½' long.  I have sawn 42" & 45" butt logs but they required Bibbying.  They were also not but 10'-12' length.

The Log Weight Calculator said that it would have been a "too" heavy log if it had been fresh felled.

As it was the loaded handled it but I used the Magic Hook and log clamp to keep the log close to the loader hinge.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

scsmith42

We opened up a nice white oak log yesterday. It was 48" on the small end and produced some nice RRQS (Thanks Robert!!!!).  We also netted a couple of 2-3/4" full width slabs from it.

Don P

I can't remember what was the biggest diameter, we barely got the 6' bar through a butternut on an old family homeplace so I'm guessing that was it, but it was pretty short. This was the longest at 60'. We needed 2 for 12x12 barn top plates. It took 3 trees around 3' diameter at the butt to get a 12x12 at the small end. The second tree, we had felled, parbuckled uphill, and on the third face opened up a rotten spot I could lay my arm in, so back to the woods we went.

We hauled them out as 3 sided ~12x16's then finished in the work yard on the job.

The 60's are on top of the log cribs, we dropped back to scarfed 40+20 on the sheds, the 60' candidates we were finding were too far up the mountain and would have taken some serious work to get out at that length.

customsawyer

I'm sure there's a picture in my gallery but I'll be dang if I can find it. My biggest was 63" on the butt end and at 55 ft. it was still 49" in diameter. That one broke my heart to make crane mat timbers out of.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

teakwood

Quote from: Don P on August 23, 2020, 07:28:42 AM
I can't remember what was the biggest diameter, we barely got the 6' bar through a butternut on an old family homeplace so I'm guessing that was it, but it was pretty short. This was the longest at 60'. We needed 2 for 12x12 barn top plates. It took 3 trees around 3' diameter at the butt to get a 12x12 at the small end. The second tree, we had felled, parbuckled uphill, and on the third face opened up a rotten spot I could lay my arm in, so back to the woods we went.

We hauled them out as 3 sided ~12x16's then finished in the work yard on the job.

The 60's are on top of the log cribs, we dropped back to scarfed 40+20 on the sheds, the 60' candidates we were finding were too far up the mountain and would have taken some serious work to get out at that length.

that is some nice work you done there! e real effort 
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

DPatton

This one took a little chainsaw work and a handful of grease on both sides to get it to fit between the 36" wide uprights on my mill.

This one took quite a bit more chainsaw work ;D ;D ;D, and a 944 Lull forklift to get it on my mill.

TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Thank You Sponsors!