iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lucas Milling cuts are just shy of what they should be...

Started by JAG, February 26, 2015, 12:51:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JAG

so i have just recently started having this happen with my Lucas 6-18, only happens on one half of the log, anyone seen this before.

https://forestryforum.com/gallery/albums/userpics/35510/20150220_102403~0.jpg
Lucas 6-18, MS046, MS660, MS390,

beenthere

Appears to be growth stress, but without some more info (which cut first, etc.) and some broader views, I wouldn't venture trying to say more. Is that the only pic?
Maybe saw related, maybe not.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

woodyone.john

Hi Jag if that is the start  end of you cut you will need to adjust the position that you saw rests in in the locked cutting position  vertically  and possibly horizontally. I have a peterson so i am not familiar with the lucas process, but on the peterson those 2 cuts should intersect leaving a nib half the thickness of the kerf in both positions. if this is the end of the first cut then you may be sawing very tense wood or same as above or your saw may be leading to much.1st step is to check you saw is sharp and straight i would say. lucas sayers a bound to tell it better.
cheers john
Saw millers are just carpenters with bigger bits of wood

dgdrls

Good morning Jag,

Is the blade not intersecting the horizontal cut through the entire
length of the cut or only at the end(s)? 

You indicated it only happens on 1/2 of the log,  which half and when?

You'll get it

Best
DGDrls

Seaman

Yes, tell us more, we would love to help.
At first blush, I would guess the winch at one end is not lowering the exact amount as the other winch. Measure down from each end with a tape to see.
How much wear on your saw?
How many logs has it done this on?

FRank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

bandmiller2

I'am no Lucas authority but it looks like the saw is trying to climbing out on the verticle cut. Is something loose or possibly you need a tip change. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

terrifictimbersllc

JAB,
could you explain a little more about only happening on one half of the log.  Top half, bottom half, right half, left half, what?  On the face of it looks like just a vertical intersect adjustment but if sometimes it is good it could be something else.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Dakota

Don't start changing your saw adjustments yet.  I've had this happen, and it was due to stress in the log.
Dave Rinker

logboy

If its only doing it on half the log then the adjustments on the mill are fine. Stop and sharpen then go back to cutting and see what happens. The only times I've had that issue were when the log had a lot of stress in it, the saw shop put the wrong (shorter) teeth on the blade, or my rails werent parallel (one corner was high/low). You dont have something hanging up on the rails or cranks, do you? Are the rails loose against the midspan brace or did you lock it down tight so its hanging up?
I like Lucas Mills and big wood.  www.logboy.com

Grandedog

Howdy,
   People have already hit on some possible issues. It certainly looks like your blade could stand to be sharpened. The other thing is that the left rear saddle was not seated completely on original set-up.
   Making adjustments to the mill are is the last thing you want to do. There are other things that need to be verified first. If you want to give us a call at 888-995-7307, we can walk you through it. I see your in Norcal. If we can't get it figured over the phone, we could possibly make a house call.
Regards
Gregg
Gregg Grande
Left Coast Supplies LLC
1615B South Main Street  Willits, CA 95490
888-995-7307  Ph 707-602-0141                   Fax 707-602-0134  Cell 707-354-3212
E-Mail  gregg@leftcoastsupplies.com   www.leftcoastsupplies.com

sigidi

As Gregg said, hold off any adjustments. Think about it logically - the mill 'recently' is doing this...that's not adjustments to blade intersection...the adjustments don't need changing unless they have been changed!

First step is to make sure your mill is setup properly - all four corners firmly seated and rails are parallel to each other.

Second, make sure the end frame without the motor isn't binding on the upright.

Personally if this happened to me. I would be looking at the blade straight away, but that's because I know all other setup/useage variables are already accounted for. My maintenance on the mill and how I setup means that isn't an issue.

As with any advice, think about what's being said and hoe those things could happen, then determine yourself if it is feasible. Let us know how you go.
Always willing to help - Allan

woodyone.john

As with any advice, think about what's being said and hoe those things could happen, then determine yourself if it is feasible. Let us know how you go.
you are a very eloquent basket sig. i would love to meet up one day.
cheers john

sigidi

Quote from: woodyone.john on February 26, 2015, 11:55:43 PM
cheers john

If ya head South West for awhile, as ya go through the big puddle, you'll pass a little place called Hawaii, don't sneeze or ya will miss it. Keep heading through the puddle (might get a bit monotonous, but stick with it) the other side of the puddle ya should see a place called Oz. I'm here everyday of the week, would love to meet ya. Oh by the way, if ya find a joint with long white clouds, heaps of mountains and sheep...just swim away as fast as ya can :-D ;-)

NZJake

Looks like your blade needs tensioning. Any spots around the arbor?
Wife says I woke up one morning half asleep uttering thin kerf and high production, I think I need a hobby other than milling?

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: sigidi on February 27, 2015, 02:35:23 PM
cheers john

If ya head South West for awhile, as ya go through the big puddle, you'll pass a little place called Hawaii, don't sneeze or ya will miss it. Keep heading through the puddle (might get a bit monotonous, but stick with it) the other side of the puddle ya should see a place called Oz. I'm here everyday of the week, would love to meet ya. Oh by the way, if ya find a joint with long white clouds, heaps of mountains and sheep...just swim away as fast as ya can :-D ;-)

Woodyone.John,

If your profile info is correct, you can ignore most of Sigidi's navigating directions, just go north out of the harbor there in Aukland, carefully avoiding the shallow spots, until you've reached the northern tip of New Zealand's North Island, then turn west and keep going until you bump into the coast of Oz... After that I suppose if you asked, anybody could tell ya how to find Sigidi's place.

Herb

woodyone.john

Yeah,I could paddle across the ditch,to New Zealand big island and if I went meet my mums side of the family in and around Roma ,I'd probably trespass across Sigidi's back yard.I'd also like to catch up with a lot of the 'good ole boys' from the states,how ever i went a bit off the rails as a young lad and I think I'd be barred from entry cos of deeds done and regretted 40+years ago 

beenthere

What does @JAG have for additional information to add to the various thoughts posted about his problem ?? 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: beenthere on February 27, 2015, 05:24:44 PM
What does @JAG have for additional information to add to the various thoughts posted about his problem ??
x2  :) :) :)
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

JAG

Hey guys, sorry been a busy week. Yes it is only the first half of log or in other words its the side i start on with the horizontal cut. i have been trouble shooting it for a bit now, i did have to switch out the blade a little bit ago because of a tooth. so once the blade switch happened, i noticed it.

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: woodyone.john on February 27, 2015, 04:36:29 PM
Yeah,I could paddle across the ditch,to New Zealand big island and if I went meet my mums side of the family in and around Roma ,I'd probably trespass across Sigidi's back yard.I'd also like to catch up with a lot of the 'good ole boys' from the states,how ever i went a bit off the rails as a young lad and I think I'd be barred from entry cos of deeds done and regretted 40+years ago

Well, if you get to Christchurch, say hello to my sister, Catherine!

Herb

sigidi

Jag, I'd be inclined to think the new blade has tension problems.

sigidi

Quote from: PC-Urban-Sawyer on February 27, 2015, 02:47:15 PM
cheers john

Woodyone.John,

If your profile info is correct, you can ignore most of Sigidi's navigating directions, just go north out of the harbor there in Aukland, carefully avoiding the shallow spots, until you've reached the northern tip of New Zealand's North Island, then turn west and keep going until you bump into the coast of Oz... After that I suppose if you asked, anybody could tell ya how to find Sigidi's place.

Herb

Urban sawyer, you might be surprised, but not many ppl know little old me ;-)  but good save on the directions :-D

Seaman

JAG, I would put the other blade back on and see if it cuts correctly. The missing tooth won't hurt a thing.
FRank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: sigidi on February 28, 2015, 03:03:51 PM
Quote from: PC-Urban-Sawyer on February 27, 2015, 02:47:15 PM
cheers john

Woodyone.John,

Herb

Urban sawyer, you might be surprised, but not many ppl know little old me ;-)  but good save on the directions :-D

Sigidi,

I was figuring that just about everyone in Oz knew you...

Herb

JAG

I found a fix, sorry for the late reply but i was busy this past week. I looked at the blade adjustment 3 and just turned it a 3/4 clockwise, the cuts are now spot on.

Thank You Sponsors!