iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Another wavy cut question

Started by AnthonyW, June 08, 2015, 11:17:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnthonyW

This weekend I was milling some eastern white pine. I loaded up a monster (to me) 32" diameter 17' long log. I could tell this log would not have any clear wood so I decided at the beginning to cut it into 2x4s. I cut the flitches to be edged and placed on saw horses. I then cut two 4" thick planks and placed them next to the cant. The measurements work out such that when I dropped down 2", I would cut two 2x4s and a 2" plank. With the two 4" planks next to the cant, The saw head was at max width, the blade guard was all the way out and just fit. The cut was very wavy. It hadn't been on the previous pass. I then removed the two 4" planks, dropped 2" and tried again. Smooth and level a cut as I could expect. I then added the two 4" planks back and tried it again. Again a wavy cut. I removed the 4" planks and finished cutting the cant at 2" increments. Every cut came out fine. I cut the 4" planks by themselves and came out smooth. Any thoughts why at 16" it cuts fine and at 24" the cut is wavy?
'97 Wood-Mizer LT25 All Manual with 15HP Kohler

terrifictimbersllc

Cutting wider widths flat is more challenging than narrower ones.  Things that contribute to waviness (less than total sharpness, inadequate drive belt tension, inadequate HP for the feed rate, hard knots in softwood), show up first in waviness at the wider widths.

Because of bark and dirt, keeping the outer wide boards flat when opening up big dirty logs is always challenging.

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

AnthonyW

Once the cant was made, the blade was changed. The blade was a brand new woodmizer 10 degree. The feed rate was not fast from the start. I could not keep the RPM up (I find it likes to run around 3200 RPM) right from the start without slowing down the feed rate. If available and it fit, would a 1 1/2" blade help?

LeeB

More blade will want more HP to pull it. If it was bogging on you real bad you were losing blade speed and therefor getting the wavy cut. 24 " is a pretty big bite even for a higher HP engine.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

AnthonyW

Even with a 8" cut, I can bog the engine down. Especially with the 10 degree blades.

I made the 24" cuts based on engine RPM, maintain 3100-3200 RPM. Knowing the cut was wide, I knew from the start it was going to be a long slow cut. I kept the feed rate as steady as I could.

I even contemplated getting from 4 degree bands, but I don't think I will end up cutting this wide to warrant having a box of them on hand.

Den-Den

If you can bog the engine down in an 8" wide cut; you need more hp or a slower band speed to better utilize the existing hp.
You may think that you can or may think you can't; either way, you are right.

terrifictimbersllc

I didn't know your HP.  Even at 42HP I don't take wide flat cuts for granted.  When I see I'm going to be making a stack of 16-24" boards, often I'll square up a log to a clean cant a bit oversize with one blade,  then put on a freshly sharpened blade (for pine I'll use a 7 degree) to make all the final cuts.   Mine are all 045/1.25" Woodmizer blades, I've never used others.  Myself I wouldn't expect good results from a 4 degree blade in wide knotty pine unless maybe it were dried out to the point of cracking.

I like to use my Logrite aluminum scaling stick to wipe sawdust off every few cuts in wide material, sometimes every cut with very valuable wood like wide natural edge slabs,  it acts as a straightedge scraper, if you will, and I can easily see if the cut is crowned at all or if there are any waves. 

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Magicman

You were adding 50% more unsupported blade length inside of the wood.  When a blade is pushed back, the flat blade has to either stretch or ripple.  A new/sharp blade is affected less because it is pushed back less.  The flanges on the blade guides stop this rearward movement but they must have the proper horizontal tilt to keep the blade from catching on the flanges and fluttering.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

AnthonyW

I would love more HP (only have 15HP Kohler), but I would not want to crank up a heavier engine. I can run the 7 degree bands much better. IMO, because there is less bite or less tendency to take too big of a bite as compared to the 10 degree blades.

My comment on bogging down in an 8" cut was somewhat tongue-in-cheek, it is possible. But I either must really be trying to go too fast or really not paying attention. Other than 2x4 and 2x6, I try not to cut 1x narrower than 8". I just do not find the use for it.

I did some (very expensive) experiments yesterday. Both resulted in killing a blade. The more interesting of the two will get its own thread once I get some photos of the teeth or what is left of them.

AnthonyW

Quote from: Magicman on June 08, 2015, 02:07:29 PM
You were adding 50% more unsupported blade length inside of the wood.  When a blade is pushed back, the flat blade has to either stretch or ripple.  A new/sharp blade is affected less because it is pushed back less.  The flanges on the blade guides stop this rearward movement but they must have the proper horizontal tilt to keep the blade from catching on the flanges and fluttering.

To the best of my ability, it is set per the manual in every aspect.

Magicman

As terrifictimbersllc mentioned above, even with a properly tuned sawmill, sawing wide with a less than sharp blade can cause wavy lumber (when the blade is forced back).
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

AnthonyW

Quote from: Magicman on June 08, 2015, 02:34:45 PM
As terrifictimbersllc mentioned above, even with a properly tuned sawmill, sawing wide with a less than sharp blade can cause wavy lumber (when the blade is forced back).

Brand spanking new blade. I hope it was sharp when I installed it.

Would changing to a less aggressive blade and keep the RPM would be more effective than changing to a 1.5" blade?

Chuck White

Yesterday I sawed an undesirable 12-14" Spruce "Yard Tree", there were knots about every 4-6" going up the log, so I knew it would produce wavy cuts.

I made the opening cut at my usual sawing speed and man was it wavy.

I dropped 1/2" and about 1/2 to 2/3 the feed speed and it cut just as flat as the bunks on the mill.

I kept this speed and sawed out some beautiful 2x6's.

I was using a freshly sharpened to 8° Wood-Mizer Double Hard blade.

Best advice I can give is use a sharp blade and slow down.

A new, off-the-shelf blade can be dull, due to handling during shipping.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

millwright

One thing to check is engine rpm, I have a 15 hp kohler on a little tractor and it is supposed to run at 3600

sandsawmill14

the 1.5 blades made no/very little difference for me on my b20. i actually like the 1.25 blades better. from what i've heard going to .055 blades helps but have never tried them. :)
hudson 228, lucky knuckleboom,stihl 038 064 441 magnum

bkaimwood

Bunch of very good points made so far...an 1.5 inch blade will help, but ONLY if you have the HP to turn it...a .055" blade will help, but ONLY if you have the HP to turn it...you wouldn't believe how much going up in .005" blade thickness makes...in terms of power needed to spin it. Next, I wouldn't use anything more than an 8 degree rake on such a log, I run 7's. Lastly, take special note to your dust...it should be heavy not fine, with little kerf marks. Heavy kerf marks and fine powder says feed rate too slow. Many think that tough logs and wavy cuts justify slower feed rates...in many cases, this actually makes it worse...the blade gets warmer, losses tension, and multiplies the problem and confusion. Bottom line, if you have the HP and blade to do so, don't be scared to run it...the worse you'll get is another wavy cut, and eliminate one more thing. If you don't have the HP to do so, and all else fails, maybe its a firewood log. Poop happens. Disclosure statement: this information was derived from experience on both of my diesel bandmills, results may vary from other mills and operators.. I've only been sawing for over a year, but try my best.
bk

AnthonyW

Quote from: millwright on June 08, 2015, 04:12:10 PM
One thing to check is engine rpm, I have a 15 hp kohler on a little tractor and it is supposed to run at 3600

I have a Hardline Tach/Hour meter on the motor. Mostly for the hour meter, but the tach is a nice benefit. That is how I can monitor and quote what RPMs I am running.

AnthonyW

Quote from: bkaimwood on June 08, 2015, 07:15:37 PM
Lastly, take special note to your dust...it should be heavy not fine, with little kerf marks. Heavy kerf marks and fine powder says feed rate too slow.

My father noticed the consistency of the sawdust from my LT25 is very much different than my uncle's. I'm not sure which mill, manufacturer or model he has but I know it is big and diesel powered. His sawdust resembles chips from a dado blade or router table, perhaps the finer chips from a planer. My sawdust when cutting EWP, independent of blade angle, speed, or cutting width, is about the same as course beach sand both in look and feel.

I can easily understand how a thicker blade would take more HP to run. Thicker band = wider kerf = more material to remove = more HP required. Now that I realize my blades are 0.045, I wonder if there is a thinner blade I should be using. Did I see an option for a 0.042?

Thank You Sponsors!