iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Thoughts on new woodmizer lt15 start

Started by Pheonix8818, November 30, 2019, 11:32:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pheonix8818

Woodmizer has lt15 start at 5,000 for Black Friday deal what are thoughts on this for first/beginner/hobby mill. Thanks in advance for your input

ladylake

It should be a decent mill but I'd get a EZ Boardwalk 40 for around $8000, 40" log capacity vs 28 24hp vs 14  , built heavier . Live edge slabs sell good and the EZ could make some wide ones.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

RichTired

I believe you would be very happy with the Woodmizer LT15 start.  That was my plan a couple of years ago, but I decided on the Woodmizer LT15Go. 
Wood-Mizer LT15GO, Kubota L2800, Husqvarna 268 & Stihl 241 C-M chainsaws, Logrite cant hook, Ford F-150 Fx4

Richard

YellowHammer

I had an LT15.  It was a workhorse. You won't go wrong getting it.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

randy d

I have had Two lt15 Mills and they are very good mills for the money don't think you can go wrong but if you are not satisfied  they sell well. Randy

booman

I would definitely recommend the LT15.  I am on my fifth one which is the wide.  The reason I have gone through so many is that my customers would always bug me to sell my sawmill to them.  So after about 4 years of using each one I would sell the current one for a very good price and add a little to it and buy a new one.  All of these mills were still in very good shape.  I currently have the LT15WIDE with the 25 hp which I really like.   Also, the customer service is hard to beat.
2019 LT15G25WIDE, 2013 LT35HDG25, Stihl MS880 with 59" bar with Alaskan sawmill attachment.  John Deere 5045 tractor with forks, bucket and grapple.  Many chainsaws.

Pheonix8818

Thanks for all the input. Do you think the 15 horse motor on the lt15 start would be under powered?

ladylake

Unless your patience 25hp in wide hard cuts is underpowered.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

YellowHammer

Horsepower is king, the more you get, the better things are in many ways.  So get the most hp you can afford.

However, my old LT15 had a 15 hp Kohler because they didn't offer more at that time, and I cut a lot of wood with it, enough to start a business, with 7 degree double hards.  The LT15 cuts very straight with that combination.  

If you can upgrade to the trailer package you can roll it under cover out of the weather. 

As far as resell, I put it on CL and sold it within a couple days for almost what I paid for it.  These types of mills are in high demand and sell quick. 

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

egmiii

I have an LT15. Bought it earlier this year and cut about 4000 bf of hardwood over the last few months. I considered the LT15 start since I could have saved quite a bit, but in hindsight I'm so glad I skipped it. Two simple features it's missing are deal breakers: the gas strut for raising the head and the hand crank for feeding. Without those features, there is no way I could have cut nearly as much as I did each day. Manual milling puts a beating on your body. Pushing the mill through the log and cranking an unassisted lift would have broken me hours earlier every day. Overall I'm very happy with the mill. I'd. Up it again in a heartbeat, but I'd likely add power feed from the start.

Brad_bb

I have and LT15 with 19hp Kohler.  I would not want less motor.  Resale with the regular LT15 is good.  Not sure on the lower end mills.  As said, more HP is better.  One thing, you've asked for input, but have not indicated what you intend to do, and how much you intend to do, and how quickly you intend to do it. That makes a difference in how you are advised.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Woodpecker52

I run a Lt 15 start with a 14 hp K hole motor,  I have cut hickory, white oak, cedar, cypress, SYP some maxing out the mill and it has never bogged down or quit.  I did buy an extra extension from a guy in Tenn.  I paid about 400 for it.  I automated it but mostly just manually push it no big deal like pushing a buggy at Walmart!  For they money I paid and the quality I got I am extremely well pleased.  Never had a moments trouble from it that I didn't cause by my own stupidity.  For a hobby mill it is great  I think I have cut about 400 logs on it so far.  Motor always starts up on first pull.
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

Brad_bb

Oh, if the start is only push, that's not a big deal.  I have the crank on my LT15, and I used it for the first 3 years, but the last year I mostly just push.  It's less motion to just push.  You can feel what you're cutting too.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Pheonix8818

Thanks for all the input everyone I will just be using mill for a hobby and not really in much of a hurry to get boards cut

Thank You Sponsors!