iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Best chain saw file?

Started by TmbrWlkr, February 09, 2021, 10:23:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TmbrWlkr

Ok guys - let's weigh in - what in your opinion is the best chainsaw file - and why:
Durability
Price
Availability 
Ease of cleaning
Etc.

Oh yeah - please specify type - round flat, square cut ...

mike_belben

Nicholson is pretty much the leader of the file business on the machinist side.  I get stihl files at the co-op because thats what is there and i have no complaints.  Any new file is better than a dull old rusty one no matter what brand.  They all wear out.. Just how it is. 
Praise The Lord

BargeMonkey

For a 7/32 round file.... Save Edge... makes an Oregon file seem dull out of the box. 

barbender

For all the hubbub about the Save-edge files, I got a box and didn't notice any difference vs the Oregon I'd always used. Not that they're bad, I was just expecting more🤷🏽‍♂️
Too many irons in the fire

PoginyHill

Round files are about $1.50 at my local hardware store. Not sure of the brand. I get a new one when I put on a new chain. But I should probably get a new one more often. Every time I start using a new one, I ask myself "why didn't you do that sooner?"
Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

Tacotodd

The last time that I bought some was at a local Stihl dealer. He had an unopened box of 12 that he sold me and they worked out to be out the door price of 24ish. The # (for those interested) is 7010 871 6405 and that's for 7/32 for 3/8 chain. I recorded the # since it's not in the catalog so I'd have for future reference. The box had 4 of the 3pack in it.

BTW, shouldn't this be in the chainsaw section?
Trying harder everyday.

Corley5

CBN wheel on a grinder is the best file IMHO ;) ;D :) :)  Ya Ya Ya ground chains aren't as sharp as hand filed ::) ::)  Whatever :D :)  I haven't hand filed a saw chain since January of 2006  ;D 8) ;D 8) :)
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Bruno of NH

Bar none  PFERD
Nothing is even close
Round file
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

stavebuyer

I am partial to Stihl and my dealer has good pricing if you buy the files by box rather than singles or 3 pack.

Everybody is too proud of the raker files.

Bruno of NH

I'm pretty sure the Stihl files are Made by PFERD 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

sidehill6

have used Pferd files for years, have not found anything better.

moodnacreek

Quote from: Corley5 on February 10, 2021, 02:27:32 PM
CBN wheel on a grinder is the best file IMHO ;) ;D :) :)  Ya Ya Ya ground chains aren't as sharp as hand filed ::) ::)  Whatever :D :)  I haven't hand filed a saw chain since January of 2006  ;D 8) ;D 8) :)
The eye cannot beat a machine or jig but is is so easy to carry a file in your file pocket.

moodnacreek

Me to. Pferd is my favorite but remember , like chainsaw bars, they can make bad batches.

Firewoodjoe

Quote from: BargeMonkey on February 09, 2021, 11:11:26 PM
For a 7/32 round file.... Save Edge... makes an Oregon file seem dull out of the box.
I've used a lot of files. I'm kind of a experiment try kind of guy. Save edge beats them all. 

barbender

I think the Oregon files I buy are Pferd made too? I can't remember for sure.
Too many irons in the fire

thecfarm

I run Sthil chains on both my Huskys and file with a Oregon file. I buy them by the box. I have a big saw and a small saw, need two different size files. Just like chains and bars, bars, I keep one on hand all the time, and chains, I buy 5 at a time.
I suppose I should not say that my Makita 4 inch grinder keeps the rakers down.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Skeans1

I can't remember the last time I used or bought a file a grinder is the way to go especially when running square chains. 

Firewoodjoe

You carry chains in the woods? 

Corley5

I always had extras in the forwarder or  with the gas and oil.

Firewoodjoe

I know guys that swap chains but only fiewood cutters. Falling and bucking log trees it would drive me crazy. Sharpen a saw 6+ times a day is faster than swapping chains. I would like to buy a sharpener for when I hit junk though. 

Skeans1

Quote from: Firewoodjoe on February 11, 2021, 05:24:49 PM
Quote from: Firewoodjoe on February 11, 2021, 05:24:49 PM
Yes I do an old crown royal bag or something like that works well. If I'm cutting all the time I'll swap a chain after a few hours or around noon to finish the day out. Remember my chains start at 105 drivers so sharpening them is time consuming vs swapping a chain out in less then a few minutes on either Stihl or Husky saws. Most days I'm packing 6 chains but normally use 2 maybe 3 if I hit something well bucking.

This is a cutter straight off the grinder I like a predictable chain every time I start.

Edvantage

I recently ended up with a 7/32 oregon. It seemed to have a lot more bite and lasted longer than the stihl files I normally use. Might have been a fluke. Bought 3 stihl 7/32 files today $5.60.  A little extra filing today I nicked  a scaffold cutting a window opening in a log wall. 

Corley5

I'd rather swap out a chain than file one in the woods.  That's my preference :) :)

Ianab

I'm happy to sit on a stump and touch up a chain with a file if it's gets a bit dull. 

But if I seriously rock one, then I have a spare sharp chain handy as it's going to take some serious file work to get that one cutting again.  Much quicker to swap it out and deal with the mess later. 

So I can see the logic of carrying spare chains, especially for the folks that prefer to machine grind their chains. They get to sharpen them later in comfort back in the workshop. If you are working in the snow with limited daylight, that seems very sensible?
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Firewoodjoe

Yeah i run 84 drives. I could see some advantages but for the most part I'll carry a file. No way I'd get a couple hours on a sharpen. Maybe one hour to hour and a half. I basically touch it up quick every tank of gas. Then it only takes a swipe or two. Also I've heard after grinding it's to hard to hand file? Is that pretty true?

Thank You Sponsors!