iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Deutz Air Cooled Diesels

Started by Corley5, September 05, 2006, 12:10:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Corley5

I've never had any experience with these engines.  How are they for performance and longevity ???  We're kinda interested in a C4 Tree Farmer forwarder that has one.  So much for the skid steer.  Gonna go big ;) ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

UNCLEBUCK

I owned one of those manlifts made by JLG ,it had 4 wheel drive and a 45 foot boom and it had one of these motors and it ran flawless . One of the highlighted selling points many people asked me when I sold it was everyone that looked at it was very pleased it had the duetz diesel air cooled .  It would start anytime and ran perfect .

Thats all I know about them as I never had one problem with it .
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

ScottAR

One of my favorite customers runs a diesel shop. 
They mostly do irrigation/generator engines and the Duetz
is one of his favorites.  He tells me with regular oil changes
and cleaning of the oil coolers/grills they'll run nearly forever. 

Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

amberwood

same news here..every report I have is that with good oil they will run forever.  Just a little noisy.

DTR
MS460 Magnum
MS250
DAF CF85-430
ASV RC-85 track loader

TW

One of my previous employers has a Deutz D25 or D30 tractor. He says that it is almost impossible to start in the winter. Otherwise it is good.

mometal77

I have heard from people in the trade i am in they are some of the best motor in the market.  If put on a welder even better.  Very easy too work on.  A neat vehicle i once say with a six in them was a samil 20 look it up.  I would love too have one.
Too many Assholes... not enough bullets..."I might have become a millionaire, but I chose to become a tramp!

gary

I have one on my mill and it runs great. It is almost 10 years old.

Max sawdust

My father has had a 80HP Deutz farm tractor for 20+ years.  Virtually no problems.
Max
So personal experience says they are good.
True Timbers
Cedar Products-Log & Timber Frame Building-Milling-Positive Impact Forestscaping-Cut to Order Lumber

sawguy21

I remember them in Pacific trucks, they were good engines but noisy on startup on a cold morning.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

isawlogs

We have one on the farm , my brother  Norm bought it , has a 100 hp and it never ever had anything done to the motor , oil changed and filter change is all it ever needs . If it is plugged in (oil pan heater ) it will start easy in the coldest of winter .
I have a few pics of it in my galery , I used it to help around the mill while sawing some logs for the house .

I sure would not hesitate to get one .  smiley_thumbsup
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Coon

I have got a Deutz D50 here.  Use it all of the time.  Plenty of power and generally will not burn more than a gallon of fuel per hour.  I have to pull start the tractor all of the time because of wiring problems.  With one little tug it is going no matter how long it has sat for.  This summer while haying I averaged 1/2 gallon of fuel per hour while making square bales with an old JD 24T.

;D Brad  :o
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Aroostooksawyer

Have one in a Rayco dozer.Lots of power, 1200 hours and no problems. A dream to drive.

Reddog

The only thing I see to add is just like a Detroit, Do Not Lug it. They need lots of air to keep them cool. Like others have said a little hard to start in the winter with out plugging in.

VA-Sawyer

Interesting that you should ask... one of my tree guys just blew up his Deutz 40 HP engine on his chipper. I have been doing most of the maintenance on his equipment for a little over 6 months. I did some work on his chipper about a week before it did itself in. You can look on one side of the engine and see daylight out the other.  I spent a few hours looking everything over, trying to figure what went wrong.  Best I can figure... the V-belt that drives the fan and altenator started slipping to the point that the engine overheated and ended up throwing a rod. I have no idea why the low oil pressure/ high oil temp shutdown system failed to shut it down before  the engine blew up.  I had told the owner twice twice before when I worked on it, that it needed a new belt and he needed to order one for it.  Guess I should have just pressed my case harder.
I was very shocked when he told me it had trashed itself because it impressed me as being in very good shape. Good oil pressure, and very little metal in the oil filter. ( one of the cleaner filters I have opened for inspection )  The one quirk I noted was the need to clean the debris from the oil cooler on a very regular basis.
VA-Saywer

Quartlow

Barring doing something to it they are bullet proof, When i was working in the rental business we had a Genie boom that had 13,000, yes thirteen thousand hours on it and it was still going.

Also had a customer run gasoline in one for 3 days before calling in and complaing about it running rough. Flushed the system and filled it with fuel and it went right back to purring right along.
Since it was a new machine I called the Deutz Factory Service department, the told me not to sweat it.
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

moosehunter

I used to go to truck/tractor pulls quite often. One time at the Syracuse Nationals the Super Stock tractors were on fire and the sled that was supposed to stop (at least slow) them could not stop them.
If you have never seen Super Stock Tractors pull, it goes something like this;
The owner takes off the injection pump and opens up all the passages, does the same with the injectors, then they put 3,4, or 5 turbo chargers on the engine :o
Awsome sight! 50 foot black smoke pillar when they rev them up, then they inject water into the intake and the smoke turns white, then when the smoke starts to clear up they start pulling.
But back to the Deutz.
Usually these tractors pull 2-3 times in a show. These guys went 5 rounds. 2 droped out because of over-heating problems. One GREEN tractor made alot of bad noises and then lost all of its oil on the ground. In the end an AIR COOLED Deutz won the show.
That was impresive.
mh
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

Coon

I just talked to the previous owner of the Deutz D50 tractor that I own.  His father bought it brand new from the dealership.  The tractor has in the general neighbourhood of 15-16,000 hours on it and still going strong.  Leaks some oil but still doesn't seem to burn any.

Brad.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Corley5

Thanks for all the replys 8)  I assume these engines use glow plugs ???

Reddog

Alot of the older ones had nothing. That was why they start hard in the cold.

Corley5

This one is in an 80s model Tree Farmer C4D forwarder located in Da U.P. so I would imagine it's got them ;D :)  Dad is going to check it Saturday 8)

Reddog

Well if it doesn't have plugs.  It will most likly have some sort of preheater. Some used a propane fired heater under the engine. Others a oil fired. Everyonce and a while they would turn into Skidder fires, if you had nice oil leak. :D

Frickman

I got a Deutz five cylinder in my Tree Farmer forwarder. It is a very, very good engine, better than I expected it to be. I bought it in southern Alabama, and it has no glow plugs or preheater. That doesn't stop it from starting in the winter. I've started it down to 15 degrees with just a shot of ether.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Faron

I like what I am hearing.   8)We have a Duetz three cylinder engine on a generator that was given to us.  We haven't had time to get it running yet.  Sounds like we better get it up and running.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

limbrat

Ran 3 of the 65 hp. on Magnum X riding pavement saws and groovers. They saw a lot of abuse before we were able to match up operators. very strong lite weight and dependable and these were self priming. In 3 yrs we never killed one. In the same time period we wore out 2 milwauke 65 hp gas engines on 3 walk behind saws.
ben

Thank You Sponsors!