Sponsors:

Standing Spalted Red Oak ???

Started by TexasTimbers, December 17, 2006, 09:28:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

turningfool

very nice looking red oak kevin..nothing is ugly to a wood turner :o

JimBuis

Quote from: kevjay on January 21, 2007, 10:04:18 PM
I guess I don't know ugly wood from "ugly" wood. Jim you were right . . . . . this stuff is u-g-l-y!  8)

This block will be heading East in a day or two . . . . . . .

Kevjay, beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder.  Here's a photo of a pen I made to demonstrate pen turning to my students.  The photo does not do the spalting justice, but the wood is spalted Japanese evergreen oak.  The pen is beautiful and my students were drooling all over it.

I love pen turning, especially when I have gorgeous spalted wood to work with.

Thanks,
Jim
Jim Buis                             Peterson 10" WPF swingmill

BigTrev

Wow Jim thats one cool pen, I can sure see why your students were droolin.

How do you go about the process? and do you sell em? If so, where can a fella get one?
If at first you dont succeed, try a bigger hammer

TexasTimbers

Quote from: BigTrev on January 22, 2007, 08:06:42 PM
How do you go about the process?

Well Trev, in part, the Process works like this: The wood grows in Texas, then gets harvested and sent to Japan on a European-built Airbus, where a guy from Illinoiz turns the wood pieces into nice pens and sends one to a nice young feller in New Zealand.  :D

That's the deal Jim. Pay It Forward. Ya gotta send Trev a pen.  8)
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

farmerdoug

Way to go, Keyjay. :)  That is what I like about this site. 8) 8)

Farmerdoug
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

metalspinner

Kevjay,
You forgot the merry-go-round of the pen kit.  Designed in the U.S., manufactured in Tiawan, shipped to a distributor in the U.S., ordered by Jim in Japan, Shipped to Japan, then made by Jim in Japan for his students to drool over.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

TexasTimbers

Uh huh . a.k.a. The Vortex of Sequences. And somewhere in there someone is taking regular vacations to Hawii and the Swiss Alps. That guy who owns the Taiwanese (now replaced with ROC factory) concern.

JimBuis

Got it Kev! ;D  Okay Trev, what style of pen do you like? :D  I like a larger diameter one with a sort of ergonomic grip on it so my fingertips don't slide down the pen.  Go to www.leevalley.com, do an "Item Search" on the word "pen", look at the pictures there and let me know what you like.  I'll fix you up with something you'll like.  Would you like it made with some of Kev's spalted red oak?

Kev, you too.  What kind of pen, what kind of wood, etc., etc.?

Jim
Jim Buis                             Peterson 10" WPF swingmill

TexasTimbers

Thanks Jim but I just want you to send Trev one and then maximize the usage of the rest and I will be happy. I am honored to support your ministry even in such a small non-direct way.

But if you insist just suprise me.  ;D  :D

And Trev you might not pick your wood yet - Jim has more than oak on the way.  :)

BigTrev

Wow Jim, you just got me grinnin from ear to ear  ;D

I took a look at that site and I reckon you got about the same taste as me. I'd be really happy with one made from that red oak, it really is some beautiful wood.

Your all legends, you know that right?
If at first you dont succeed, try a bigger hammer

Thank You Sponsors!