iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

drying Niagara falls

Started by r.man, January 25, 2016, 09:22:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

r.man

Not soon, but possibly in the next ten years, engineers might divert the American water to the Canadian side to do work on bridges. Interesting idea and potentially a once in a lifetime event.
http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/2016/01/25/us-officials-may-temporarily-turn-part-of-niagara-falls-into-trickle.html
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Just Me

Al_Smith

Wow ,that's a lot water over the dam in a manner of speaking .

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

r.man

Al when they diverted all the American falls to the Canadian falls it was only an increase of 2 percent on our side. Another source I just checked rates them at 90 and 10 percent for total volume.

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

r.man

The only other time it has happened recently was in 1848 when an ice dam cut off the flow at the entrance to the river upstream. Attendance at churches spiked up and people walked on the dry riverbed picking up souvenirs for two days. I imagine there was a lot of blame going around for whose behaviour had caused the water to be stopped.

Al_Smith

Quote from: r.man on January 26, 2016, 09:09:05 AM
Al when they diverted all the American falls to the Canadian falls it was only an increase of 2 percent on our side. Another source I just checked rates them at 90 and 10 percent for total volume.
How in the world then did Canada get 98% of Lake Erie water and the US only 2% according to those figures ?

Now that water had to go some place .Did it back up and raise the water levels  in Toledo, Cleveland and parts of Detroit?

Now what a minute here .If I recall there were  aquaducts diverting some of that water to hydo plants .Maybe some of that over flow went through them and not over the falls ?It's still a lot of water even at that .

Magicman

Some predictions were that it would raise the lake level as much as 5 feet.  Didn't happen.  The water just went over Horseshoe like it was supposed to.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!