iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How do you guys handle backlog on wood orders?

Started by Nate379, November 30, 2014, 06:21:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nate379

I always get more orders than I can get out.  I've been about a month + out on orders for the last few months.

I've hired help, work darn near 20hrs a day, even working most Sunday too.

Most of the customers are fine with it, they understand, but I get a few that feel they need to run my company for me since I'm doing it wrong, along with the foul mouths and death threats.

I've had a few folks also order 5.5 cords (truck load) and then get upset when I can't bring it by in a few hours.

I've had a few people cancel orders, either called or emailed and just let me know they couldn't wait any longer.  No big deal.  I hate loosing the customer, but what can I do?

I'm about 100 cords out, seems like as soon as I get an order or two out I have another to fill it's place on the list.

thecfarm

Some can not wait,they wait too long to order. But as I always say,If a company is busy and I have to wait,most times that is fine. There is a reason that you are so busy. You put out a good product.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

clww

I just checked out your great website and saw your waiting list. Wish I had that problem. ;)
How long does it take for the birch to season once split?
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Corley5

I spread it out.  If someone orders 15 face cord and I'm behind I'll get them five to hold them over until I can get them the rest.  I also ask how fast they need it and if they're out or almost out.  Most clients are understanding.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Firewoodjoe

I know about what I can handle in a week. So I tell them how long they have to wait. 3,4,5,6 weeks or they can go elswhere. A person wants all the business you can get but you can only do so much. And being honest with them is a lot better then getting them mad by not bringing it in the time agreed on. Never just take the order unless you can fill it. I already took two orders for next year! What the heck am I thinking😁

Nate379

NWP

I'm back logged on orders now too. I don't feel too sorry for people that wait until late in the year to order wood then wonder why I'm sold out of seasoned wood. I tell them it will be approx. a month since I'm behind. If they find it somewhere else, so be it.
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

Corley5

I've only lost one order in my time in the business because I didn't get there fast enough.  It was this fall and actually I lost it because the womans son moved back home before I got the wood delivered and he and his step dad cut the wood themselves  8) 8) 8)  Didn't bother me a bit  ;D :)  I'll begin my 10th season shortly.  My Block Buster was delivered Dec 19th 2005.  I'm shutting the firewood down for the winter.  It's been my plan the last two winters and I didn't make it.  I'll be done and the machines will be in the barn no later than 1-1-15.  About 60 face cords to go that have been on the rolls.  25 of those are for me  ;D ;D  I've turned down close to 30 face cords the last couple weeks.  I'm not fighting the winter weather to do firewood anymore. 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Firewoodjoe

xalexjx

having a good size processor deff helps, with help and someone delivering and me processing, cutting and del 6-8 face cord and hour makes it so i can pump out some wood, on down time i process into a pile for high demand times, and have a rock bucket that goes on the quick attach for the skid steer, i have to re handle the wood but it makes good use out of the down time. Over 1200 face cords now with order's still ahead of me.
Logging and Processed Firewood

Small Slick

NWP

Quote from: Small Slick on November 30, 2014, 10:18:00 PM
Nate,

Raise your prices.

John

I second that. I raised mine considerably this year with no slowdown in orders
1999 Blockbuster 2222, 1997 Duratech HD10, 2021 Kubota SVL97-2, 2011 Case SV250, 2000 Case 1845C, 2004 Case 621D, John Deere 540A, 2011 Freightliner with Prentice 120C, 2012 Chevrolet, 1997 GMC bucket truck, several trailers, and Stihl saws.

Stray one

hi everyone
one more vote for raising your price.  I  like to live by the adage "under promise and over deliver.  I find most people are tickled to death when you call them up a couple days early. Have you tried pre season special's?  If you send out emails early you might be able to get a bunch delivered mid summer which helps come winter, helps the cash flow to.

bandmiller2

Nate, you figure how much wood you can/want to handle, keep the best customers and let someone else service the rest. Have you considered buying cut and split wood wholesale and just reselling it to handle the overflow.?? Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Nate379

Have 2 processors, blockbuster 15-20'and 18-20.

I am busy year round, don't need to do any sales.  Around June to December is crazy busy.

Between firewood, equipment repairs/maintenance, shop chores, etc I've been working 100+ hrs a week for the last 6 months.

r.man

Anyone who works 100+ hrs a week for 6 months should take the next 6 off. Life is too short.
Life is too short or my list is too long, not sure which. Dec 2014

Nate379

I take ~2-3 weeks every couple years and go visit family in Maine.

Once in a while I decide to just stay at home and veg out.  Been "working" long hrs for really as long as I can remember.  If it wasn't at work work it was at home working.

Relax to me is working on something.  Like I spent the evening making a wear bar for a tractor snowblower and working on fabbing mounts for a plow for the skid steer.

Small Slick

Nate,

I wasn't being crass or flippant about raising your prices. Your response tells me that you have an opportunity to work a little less and make a little more. If you are working that much and I am the same way work is fun and I work on my personal stuff all the time, then taking a look at your pricing should be considered.

I own a contracting business in a very competitive area and we raised our rates by 12% in 2014. We did that for a number of reasons including:

The market would bear it. It's important to know that.

We were back logged with work and turning down work all the time. By the time we would be caught up it would be 2015. So we were missing good opportunities because we were too busy to react.

We wanted to increase wages for our guys. In order to pay more the money has to come from somewhere.

We wanted to hire new talented employees. You can't get talent without paying for it. Also guys talk and you can't pay new help more than your veteran guys.

Ownership needs a raise sometimes too. My house and possessions are on the line every day and I work hard to have a good business. That has to be worth something to take that kind of stress and effort.

Justifying the risk. We have had bad years when the financial losses were significant. Now my partner and I each keep a large sum of money in safe investments to get us through the bad times.

Don't kill yourself with hard work and lower margins than you deserve. Life's too short.

John

Thank You Sponsors!