iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

need advice about getting logs home

Started by outofmire, August 19, 2009, 03:03:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

outofmire

I have to ask some stupid newby questions.  We are about to buy a portable sawmill.  In the meantime, I have access to as many pine logs as I could use for our house, already down.  It is a private owner who has evidentally paid someone to clear some land, and the trees are all piled up in the middle of the clearing. He said there's more up the road I can have.  How is something like this usually handled.  He doesn't want me to make a mess.  All I have is a 3/4 ton pickup and small home depot trailer.  I know I'm overambitious as usual, but is this possible?  Should I cut up the logs into 8-12'logs and tote them home, bit by bit.  any ideas about how many I can haul at once?  Or should I set up the mill right there and mill on site?  That might produce more mess; don't know. 

outofmire

lso, if it would be better to rent a truck, what sort should I get? 

beenthere

Find out what he means by a "mess". That could be that he doesn't want his ground torn up, but it may mean more or may mean less.

Not sure how many "log" trucks might be available. But for starters, I'd look for someone local running a mill or logging operation that will either help you, or who you can watch to get a better feel for what is involved. Nice to learn from someone with the knowledge to avoid a few newby mistakes.  ;D

Hope we can help, and with all the talent on the forum, surely someone can do just that for you. Keep the questions coming, and give a feel for what you think you can do, and what your limitations are.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

DanG

Welcome to the Forum!

You already have the truck, so the pricey part is done.  Look around for a bigger trailer to put behind it, and invest in a winch.  You should be able to find a good strong 16' trailer for well under a grand.  When you get your mill, you will very quickly find this to be an "essential" item anyway.  Check out Magicman's thread "Empty Load" for an idea on using it. ;)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

metalspinner

A local tree service might hire out to move logs with their knucklboom.  Just make sure they don't detour to a log yard on the way. :)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

outofmire

what type of trailer should I get.  I checked the paper for some ideas.  There's a flat bed, dual axle; guy thinks it can haul 7000-10,000lbs.  There's one made of angle iron with mesh, with a side that lowers and raises by crank.  maybe haul 5000lbs.  I did a google search that pine weighs about 14000-18000lbs per 1000 bf.  And another site gave me a table with bf for a particular dimension of log.  A 12" diam at small end, 16' long has 86bf.  So I'm thinking that with a 7000lb trailer, I can haul 5-6 logs.  Does that sound right?  That's not much. 

Using a winch....there's no trees around.  So not sure that will be of help.  I guess that leaves me with rolling them up a ramp onto the trailer. 

So you think I definitely shouldn't take the sawmill to the site and just cut there?  might be less ruts.

ladylake

Red and white oak wiegh about 10400# per 1000", I think pine is less.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

LeeB

Taking the mill on sight would be a fine option if the owner agrees. Leave the place in better condition than when you came and everbody will be happy.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

stumpy

If the timing works, I'd get the mill and set it up on his land and cut the logs there.  You'd still have to haul the wood and the slabs, but that would be easier than logs.  Only thing left is sawdust which could be tilled into the soil.  You could drag the logs around with your pickup, or you could invest in an small skidding arch.
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

beenthere

Quote from: outofmire on August 19, 2009, 05:03:05 PM

So you think I definitely shouldn't take the sawmill to the site and just cut there?  might be less ruts.

Don't think anyone is suggesting that.  :)

Tell us more about what your limitations are, otherwise we are at a loss for doing more for you than just tossing out a lot of possibilities.

Where are you located? Maybe a forum member is nearby.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

outofmire

limitations?  besides I'm totally clueless  ;)  Well, it's just me and my teenage daughter with a stack of logs, a 3/4 ton pickup, and a sorry utility trailer.  I don't know what more there is to say. 

The trees are in a small lot next to the house lot.   A paved road runs in front of both, and a gravel road runs perpendicular to the paved road, adjacent to the lot where the trees are.  The gravel road is maybe 75' from the pile of trees.  There is also a gravel drive off the gravel road, which is even closer to the pile, but the pile runs perpendicular to the gravel drive.  Does any of this make sense? The trees are tall, straight, not too big diameter.   They are piled up with the trees all alligned the same direction.

The other limitations are money and I can't "leave a mess" 

beenthere

That helps.  :)

And you are mainly looking to get the lumber from these logs ?

What is the plan after you buy a sawmill and get these logs sawn? Getting more logs, and if so, how and where?

Sounds to me like there is a place at this location to get the mill close enough to the logs (and seems you will likely cut them to a shorter length before sawing them).  The logs then can be rolled to the mill to saw them by one person (two is easier) with a cant hook or peavey. Not to worry that they are perpendicular, as they can easily be turned 90° by hand.

I'm thinking not making a mess means picking up the sawn lumber, and the slabs and edgings. Such that it is good enough for running a lawn mower over it without hitting chunks of wood laying around.

Post a pic of the site (we like pics) and it will help too.
south central Wisconsin

outofmire

Afterwards, there's more lumber at my 6 acres tract, but it's 50 miles away, and this is 15 miles.  I don't know what afterwards.  I have hopes of cutting some of my mom's trees, finding other deals like this one, going halves with people for lumber, or working out a deal with a tree service.  We need about 5000 bf for our immediate building needs, then there's always something I'm wanting to build...such as my woodworking projects.

I'll try to post a pic soon.  Also, I hate to mention this, but about 1/3 of the length is charred from where the owner tried to burn green wood.  It looks like just superficial charring to me, mostly bark.  The rest of the 2/3 is completely uncharred.  Plus he has another pile further up the road that I haven't seen. 

I'll try to post a pic soon.  Thanks for the help!

pasbuild

I would hire out a self loading log truck to bring them to my place so I could saw them at my leisure, cost would be about $200-$300 in these parts.
If it can't be nailed or glued then screw it

isawlogs

I am reading that the trees are piled in one place. Am I understanding this correctly ? , If so , it is a bit more work to get the logs out of the pile , been there done that . Not to saye it is impossible , far from that , its just a little more hard work .  ;)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

metalspinner

Quotewhat type of trailer should I get.  I checked the paper for some ideas.  There's a flat bed, dual axle; guy thinks it can haul 7000-10,000lbs.

Of the two you mention, the first one sounds better suited for the job.  Lots of stresses will be put on your trailer handling logs and it needs to be able to take it.  Don't take the seller's word on what he thinks it will handle.  Hopefully, there are weight ratings somewhere on the axels or trailer.  In the future, you will come across lots bigger logs than you described in these posts.

QuoteUsing a winch....there's no trees around.  So not sure that will be of help.

The winch will be mounted on the trailer.  There are several pics in my gallery with a good set up.  Many other members have nice winch and trailer set ups, too. On "regular" size logs, I just pull them up the back like reeling in a fish.  For big logs, they are parbuckled up the side using ramps.

You need to be careful about milling somebody elses "garbage" on their sight.  When they see "valuable" lumber coming out of their burn pile, the "deal" might just change. ::)

dnalley

I am reading that the trees are piled in one place. Am I understanding this correctly ? , If so , it is a bit more work to get the logs out of the pile , been there done that . Not to saye it is impossible , far from that , its just a little more hard work .

Not sure what your experience is but there's a lot of stress in piled up wood...can get very dangerous in a hurry!  Does the wood have stumps, limbs and all?

(first paragraph was supposed to be Marcel's quotebut didn't show up that way)

outofmire

Quote from: metalspinner on August 19, 2009, 09:59:56 PM
The winch will be mounted on the trailer.  There are several pics in my gallery with a good set up.  Many other members have nice winch and trailer set ups, too. On "regular" size logs, I just pull them up the back like reeling in a fish.  For big logs, they are parbuckled up the side using ramps.

Thanks, the pics helped me visualize this setup better.  Are those chains with come alongs used to strap it down?  How heavy is that chain?   And how much do I need.  Also, that trailer looks more like a low boy.  I don't like the way most flat beds wheel wells are above the level of the trailer, so I think I need a low boy or something.   Also, did you get your winch from Bailey's?

I hear ya about milling on site.  I'm starting to think I may be less pressured for time if I just bring them home.  And I'm not sure I want to be getting acquainted with my saw in his yard.  It will probably take me longer to mill on site, and I think he'd be happier if they were just gone asap.

outofmire

Quote from: dnalley on August 19, 2009, 11:21:17 PM
  Not sure what your experience is but there's a lot of stress in piled up wood...can get very dangerous in a hurry!  Does the wood have stumps, limbs and all?

(first paragraph was supposed to be Marcel's quotebut didn't show up that way)

There are limbs, but not much really, mostly just trunk.  Some root, but not much.  I was thinking I'd start at the top and work my way down.

isawlogs

Good plan to start with the top , but I would sugest to mark the butt and mesure from there for your logs , as the best wood will be there. I have made some an eight foot mesuring stick with a small pole about an inch or so with two foot ingrement marcked on it , you can easily lay it on the trunk and see where you will be cutting the log , take an axe with you and add 4" or so to the log ( this only helps o have extra to square off later , as it is for you leave what ever you like , Me 4 inches is what I leave . The mesuring stick is a nice tool , you just lay it down and add what ever you what till you get the lenght of log you want to cut .
   Trunks piled in such a manor are sometimes binded together , take care to be dam carefull when cutting into those trees .  ;)

HAve fun and hey ... Welcome to da forum  ;D 8)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

jander3

I hook up this winch to a marine battery.  It works well for pulling logs through the woods in tight spots that you can't access with a vehicle.   I also use it to load up the truck or trailer if needed.   And, when I set up a shear for lifting logs so I can cut them with a chain saw mill, this winch works well as a power source.

The winch and base is very heavy, one guy can move it, but you have to be careful.  It works better to have two people to move this beast around.

A winch would probably work ok for powering a small skyline, if you the logs were not too big and you didn't have to move them too far.

metalspinner

QuoteAre those chains with come alongs used to strap it down?  How heavy is that chain?   And how much do I need.  Also, that trailer looks more like a low boy.  I don't like the way most flat beds wheel wells are above the level of the trailer, so I think I need a low boy or something.   Also, did you get your winch from Bailey's

For chain, I try to never be on my last one. ;)  I carry five chain with me when I go to grab logs.  5/16" is plenty, but 3/8" makes me feel better sometimes.  A shorter one about 6' long is handier to use sometimes.  The others are 12'-14', maybe?   I also carry a couple of heavy ratcheting straps.  Always secure the load with at least two chain and sometimes I add a ratcheting strap or two for peace of mind.

My winch is a Harbor Freight 9000lb 12volt.  It's on my list of things that need to be upgraded.  It's done a good job, but I will not be surprised when it stops working one day. Always have a come-a-long with you as well. A heavy snatch block or two for change of direction pulling and helping your winch with heavier than expected loads.  Those are ratcheting binders that are holding the logs to the trailer for transport.

outofmire

Quote from: DanG on August 19, 2009, 03:55:37 PM
Welcome to the Forum!

Check out Magicman's thread "Empty Load" for an idea on using it. ;)

Thanks for the welcome.  I tried to find this thread with the search engine, but no luck.

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

thecfarm

I can see the pile or mess now of logs.Probaly just pushed up to be burned.Which is too bad to waste wood and too bad for you.Just take your time getting the logs out of the pile.Keep helpers away and use long chains or straps to get them out of the pile and on to the ground so you can load them on to a trailer.Remember logs can roll far and fast.Maybe keep one log between you and the pile to keep it from getting away on you.Sounds like a lot of work and time,but the logs are free so that makes a good deal for you.Watch yourself walking around on the pile too.I would think there are lots of small holes for a foot-leg to slip into.Don't need a broken bone on a free deal.You will have learned a lot when all this is done.I too would suggest getting the logs at your place too.This way there would be no "mess" left there. And once someone sees what you are getting for "free" than the deal can change. And about the trailer,whatever you spend on it,you will still have it when this deal is done.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!