iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mirrors on sawmills

Started by Wlmedley, January 26, 2022, 06:44:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wlmedley

Ruined another blade today.Out of 11 blades that I've used since buying my mill I've ruined 2 by hitting log stops.Was wondering if anyone has mounted mirrors somewhere on mill to see log stops.Maybe I need to make me some wooden log stops :D .Also my mill is a woodland mills 126.For some reason equipment list doesn't show up on my posts.I filled out information on my application. Really enjoying getting to communicate with everyone.
Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,Yamaha Grizzly 450,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter

btulloh

Mirrors could help. I've heard of doing that. 

Another thing is lines 1" apart on the log stops starting at the top. Just use a sharpie and and refresh occasionally. Putting the lines on helps a lot because you don't have to estimate by eyeball. In conjunction with that, add a scale to the rt hand post that shows the distance between the blade and the deck.  That's useful for many things. Could be done with a sharpie, but a good scale in 16ths inch is better.

Lines, mirror, or whatever, you still have to look.  Get a routine for starting a cut and do it every time. Becomes muscle memory pretty quick. That is a good practice in general and helps cut down on the frequency of sawing log stops.

You'll still hit one occasionally anyway, but it'll be more like once a year.
HM126

Southside

There are two types of sawyers.  Those who try to cut pieces off their mill using the mill, and those who lie about it never happening.  Welcome to the club.  It will get better, I still do it - usually when someone is standing there for the first time. Difference now is I look to see just how much carnage I created and with pride loudly proclaim "Look at that!"  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Nebraska

There is a thread that I  will not name as it has been a day or two since  (by Grace alone)  that I have needed to post there, but that theme is a very common one.  ;) :) :D :D  

SawyerTed

The only thing I've found that 100% prevents hitting some part of the mill occasionally is going fishing.  

The odds of hitting the mill increase in direct proportion to the number of chew scratch and spit spectators who are present. 
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

fluidpowerpro

This is a guard I added to my saw. It has saved me more than once.
Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

Wlmedley

1st time l did it my brother in law was with me so naturally I blamed it on him.Today I was by myself.It was pretty cold out today.Is that a good excuse?
Bill Medley WM 126-14hp , Husky372xp ,MF1020 ,Homemade log arch,Yamaha Grizzly 450,GMC2500,Oregon log splitter

fluidpowerpro

If you run your blade into your backstop, and nobody else is there to hear it, did it really happen?
Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

btulloh

Quote from: Wlmedley on January 26, 2022, 07:29:49 PM
1st time l did it my brother in law was with me so naturally I blamed it on him.Today I was by myself.It was pretty cold out today.Is that a good excuse?
It's still your BIL's fault. 
HM126

Larry

I saw by myself most of the time.  High production with the least amount of work (I'm lazy) is my goal.  My console is on the loader side of the mill and I normally can't see the back stops.  Too much time and steps to hop to the other side of the mill to check the height of the stops.  A mirror, sometimes two have been in place for the last 10 years.

Yes, I still have hit a backstop, because I didn't look in the mirror or called it to close.  Sometimes sawdust will stick to the mirror but usually wipe it off once a day is enough.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

frazman

As previously mentioned by btullon, marking lines on the log stop make a big difference as long as you pay attention and keep a mental note. That was game changer for me.

I'm also waiting for my son to make me some log stops out of hard plastic from his 3d printer. I sketched out a design and now just waiting for something in the mail.

Gere Flewelling

Here is one way to make it happen. Works great on my mill.

Old 🚒 Fireman and Snow Cat Repairman (retired)
Matthew 6:3-4

moodnacreek

Common practice. I have 1 behind the log to see the crack if there is one and 2 behind the edger to watch the board and sticks come out so I don't hit the sweep while they are still being sawed.

thecfarm

I have the log stops that go straight up and down.
I put marks on mine as was mentioned. But mine are marked a inch lower. So 4 inch is really 3 inches, but marked as 4, 6 inch mark is really 5 inches. 
Does help, but still no guarantees. You.  I. Have to look each and every time. First time you don't........... :o   :(  

Ever notice, it's just about a new blade when things happen?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Wlmedley

Thanks for the ideas.Think I'll try them all.My mill has the blade guard that Fluid Power has pictured but Allen screw that holds it keeps getting loose usually at the worst possible time.Blade hitting log stops makes a terrible sound.Usually with a brand new blade.

DesertHobo

Quote from: Wlmedley on January 27, 2022, 10:23:12 AM
My mill has the blade guard that Fluid Power has pictured but Allen screw that holds it keeps getting loose usually at the worst possible time.
Loctite?

Cruiser_79

I have a used mill. The previous owner tried to cut his backstops in half many times, and almost succeeded  :D 
I hit it myself only once, but I have an operator seat 1' next to the backstops. Only when you're busy with other things you will miss them . I more often hit the clamps. Especially when I lower only the clamps where I'm sawing and I get of the seat and let the sawhead travel to the end of the sawbed to the stop switch...   Can't you make a switch that will turn of the feed when you hit the backstops? If you mount a normally closed switch at the same height of the blade it could  work. 

firefighter ontheside

I've sawed my log stops.  I've sawed my clamps.  I try to set the height of my stops at the minimum height needed and then when not absolutely needed, I put them all the way down and just use the little stops on the bunks.  The saw will not go low enough to hit those.  I don't think a mirror would help with my LT15.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

DanMc

A mirror won't help with stupid.   I've hit the log stops 4 times now since I've owned my HM 126.  Two of the times were right after changing the blade.  I painted the stops and clamps hot pink so they're easier to see.   But that's not the problem.  I get distracted and forget to look because I'm occupied with pushing.  Need to just slow down.  One time I made it all the way through the log, and then pushed the head further down the track and hit a stop further down that was just hanging out too high.  I'd like to get an LT35, maybe if the head is moving on its own, it will be easier to get a look at both sides of the log.  I think a mechanical tab in front of the blade is the best thing to do.  The mill comes with one, but mine is gone.  
LT35HDG25
JD 4600, JD2210, JD332 tractors.
28 acres of trees, Still have all 10 fingers.
Jesus is Lord.

bhumph

Quote from: Southside on January 26, 2022, 07:06:26 PM
There are two types of sawyers.  Those who try to cut pieces off their mill using the mill, and those who lie about it never happening.  Welcome to the club.  It will get better, I still do it - usually when someone is standing there for the first time. Difference now is I look to see just how much carnage I created and with pride loudly proclaim "Look at that!"  :D
Well, guess I got that out of the way with the first log I put on mine this week. Even with the drop guard on the EZ, I managed to fiddle with it and forgot to lower it back when I got down to the last cut.  At least I don't have to pretend I'm something I'm not!  :laugh:   
Bryan

Jim_Rogers

Use your blade height ruler. Put a mark on it the height of the log rest/stop with fully extended. If the blade is lower than that mark, look at the stop and make sure it's lower than the blade.
After, a while it comes naturally to check your blade heigh vs your log rest/stop.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

SawyerTed

The scale on my LT 35 has the inch scale shaded yellow from the the height of the stops in the full up position down to the red 1" above the bed area.  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Wlmedley

Quote from: SawyerTed on February 01, 2022, 02:35:13 PM
The scale on my LT 35 has the inch scale shaded yellow from the the height of the stops in the full up position down to the red 1" above the bed area.  

Quote from: Jim_Rogers on February 01, 2022, 01:50:13 PM
Use your blade height ruler. Put a mark on it the height of the log rest/stop with fully extended. If the blade is lower than that mark, look at the stop and make sure it's lower than the blade.
After, a while it comes naturally to check your blade heigh vs your log rest/stop.

Jim Rogers

Good idea Maybe paint it red and write danger zone 

Thank You Sponsors!