Previous topic - Next topic

GaTrapper

Bar Oil
-Itasca
-Stihl Orange Bottle
-Stihl Premium (Silver Bottle)
-Husqvarna Premium
-Other big box store brands

Are they all the same? Marketing (paying for the name)? Is one really better than the other? How? Will I ever notice the difference?

Nebraska

btulloh

I just use the store brand at Tractor Supply.  My theory is that any of it is good enough for me.  No doubt there'll be some strong opinions about various brands show up below.

Next you should ask about 2 stroke oil brands and ratios. :D
HM126

Bandmill Bandit

As long as i was farming i never used the "Bar Oil" stuff.

I used put the #30 oil dropped out of the tractors in a 45 gal drum and that was my chain oil for most of my life. Now I just grab the cheap Canadian Tire brand and it works just fine. Not as messy as used #30 motor oil which is nice.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Stephen1

popcorn_smiley 
I usually buy chain oil at what ever store I am in when I need it. I only go through 1-2 gallons a year.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

thecfarm

I use TS for years and I mean years. I have no way to turn back the clock and start all over. ;) 
I can go through a gallon in a couple weeks. Sometimes a gallon will only last me a week. 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Southside

Look at the SDS sheets, any I have seen show a range of what the oil itself is and then they add a tacifier.  Basically it's clean out oil that is used to flush out a line before a different grade of a primary product is bottled.  

I just buy the TSC stuff when it's on sale.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

donbj

Oil is always a good topic for a lively thread. I'm sure there are major oil manufacturers that label for numerous brands but a layman trying to figure that out would take time for sure.

I've always used Husky or Stihl bar oil but I'm sure others are just as good and some not.
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

rusticretreater

I have used Husqvarna, Stihl and TS County Line.  I like Husq the best, CountyLine(TS) the least. Stihl is pretty sticky stuff.  CountyLine tends to start smoking on my saw at the end of a big cut if I am trying to power on through.  But I am horrible at logging, so that is a factor too.  I will grab any of them if time/convenience is needed.  Pretty good hike for me to get Husq or TS.  
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

Ianab

I don't think there is enough difference between brands to warrant paying a premium. It's got to be oil, about the right consistency, with some "stickyness" added to keep it on the chain better.  If your bar is getting hot or wearing out too fast, you usually have problems other than the brand of oil. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

barbender

For my use, there's no difference between them. No one running a 16" bar on a firewood saw will ever see any difference,  either 
Too many irons in the fire

Twowithone

Always bought Sthil oil from my Sthil dealer then last yr I put a bottle up on the counter and he pointed me to this oil its called Kinetix and he said its the same as   Sthil oil maybe $1.50 cheaper he swears its all the same so I walked out the store with it.

farmfromkansas

I buy whatever chain oil is the cheapest.  Do find that some has less sticky oil than others.  The latest I bought was "mystic", which is pretty sticky.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

DaleK

Bought 8 cases of Poulan at an online auction for $3/jug, seems to work so far
Hud-Son Oscar 330
Wallenstein FX110
Echo chainsaws and a whole bunch of tractors

trapper

anyone use anything to thin the summer bar oil when the tempertature is below freezing?  I have some stihl winter oil but the summer oil I bought on sale is one third the price of stihl oil.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

barbender

Walnut Beast

Amsoil semi synthetic bar & chain oil 

johnsayen

lxskllr

to cut summer weight oil for winter.

thecfarm

I put a gallon on the front shelf of the OWB.
I only play in the woods in the wintertime. I might cut down 4 trees all day. I don't get started at 6am when there is snow on the ground. And most of my cutting is close to the house. 
Sometimes I don't even fill up the oil until I get back to the house. I bring the wood to where I cut it up and then bring the cut wood to the house.
I do have a big pile of wood just piled up. I cut it up as I need it.
Then when it dips down to around 12-13 I head for the house. warmer days are coming.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sawguy21

I use Stihl oil because it is proven and locally available. I don't use enough to get torqued over a buck difference in price and want the best protection for my tools, I take great pride in them. They are not disposable.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

barbender

Yes, I just take a shot of #1 diesel out of my off road tank. I've never measured precisely, I just keep adding and shaking until I have the viscosity I'm looking for. If I have 3/4 gallon of summer weight oil, I'm probably adding a cup of diesel to it.

hotshot

Quote from: GaTrapper on January 20, 2022, 07:23:17 PM
Bar Oil
-Itasca
-Stihl Orange Bottle
-Stihl Premium (Silver Bottle)
-Husqvarna Premium
-Other big box store brands

Are they all the same? Marketing (paying for the name)? Is one really better than the other? How? Will I ever notice the difference?
Good info, from a college kid's class paper.

Thank You Sponsors!