iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

sawing walnut stumps, and crotchs

Started by panman, June 04, 2010, 01:12:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

panman

I have a chance to saw about 40 walnut stumps, and a bunch of crotchs.
To get the most desirable figure what is the best way to saw them?
What about for gunstock wood?
Thanks
Jim

Left Coast Chris

I pressure wash them, trim the roots off then find the least inclusions on the bottom side of the stump and orient the cut based on that while still getting as much quarter sawn as possible out of the trunk part.

Normally the density also decreases as you go deeper into the lower part of the stump towards the roots.  I often cut off the bottom one foot or so to avoid the actual root wood.   Sometimes the root wood is ok to keep on the board depending on the use.

For the crotch wood, place the crotch on the mill with one branch pointing to one side and one to the other (not up and down) so the saw blade runs flat accross the "y".
The crotch wood is good for gun stocks but not the root wood.

Show us some picks when done.   It makes very beautiful drawer fronts or even instrument wood.  Also good for block wood for bowl turning.    If they were grown in rocky soil cut extra off of the root zone so you will not be sawing through encapsulated rocks........rocks are far worse to hit than nails........speaking from experience... :)
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

Lud

For turning blocks, there's the flat split in crotch which I've done a lot to get two blanks.  But with a big crotch ,  it's good to cut thirds  for an exceptional middle block. 

There's only so much figure in a crotch and it can be a shame to erase a nice flame into a pile of shavings.

I try to cut them into rounds on the bandsaw and get them waxed on all cut surfaces ASAP  for best results.
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

panman

Thanks for the replies guys.
I know I'm going to get the "flame" grain from the crotchs, do you get the eyes from the root balls?
How about drying the stump wood, I'm guessen they are going to cup, crook, etc?
Jim

tyb525

I made this table out of a walnut crotch I cut. It's not the best, but the grain is very pretty when you see it in person.

I used tung oil which really made the grain pop, and semi gloss polyurethane on top.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Magicman

Just one word of caution when sawing stumps.  Take a chainsaw and trim those sticky-outy roots fairly close to the stump.  I was turning a walnut stump when one of the roots went down through the deck and broke an elbow off of the hydraulic log clamp.  Stuff can happen.     :'(
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

WDH

Ty,

That is a great looking table!  It looks like it could walk out of the room if you don't keep your eye on it  8). 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

ohsoloco

Quote from: Left Coast Chris on June 04, 2010, 01:56:50 PM
For the crotch wood, place the crotch on the mill with one branch pointing to one side and one to the other (not up and down) so the saw blade runs flat accross the "y".
The crotch wood is good for gun stocks but not the root wood.

One other note about sawing a crotch.  Make sure that all three piths are on the same plane (the same distance from the saw bunks.  That way the pith (the part that will most definitely split when drying) will be contained in one board/flitch. 

sigidi

Good advice ohsoloco 8)

You can't avoid it, so best to try and minimise it
Always willing to help - Allan

Thank You Sponsors!