iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

old frick

Started by Mm.kasco, April 16, 2015, 05:41:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mm.kasco

I found an old frick Left Hand two block sawmill converted to a pto .it needs all new wood does anyone have any suggestions on wether it would be worth the rebuild the guy wants 500 bucks for it.  I already have kasco mill and just cut for me but I just love the speed of  circle mill .I had a foly bellsaw but the carage was to light for me.it will need new flat belts and I have no idea how to get them.

bandmiller2

MM, to me it would pretty much depend on how good the saw is (or if theirs more than one). That's not a bad price if the mill is complete and the wood good enough to copy. Be sure the saw has bits and shanks available, some of the older brands like Diston  have none available. Ask the owner and look at the numbers/ letters on the shank or boxes on the shelf. It would be in your best interest if you have to rebuild the carriage to put it on steel. Good luck. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Possum Creek

I wish mills were that cheap around here, I think there have been about a dozen old hand set mills set up in this county lately and if they had ever sawed a log they sold for a high price.           PC

ddcuning

My experience is that you would be in for a long haul to get it back operational. Once together you may find the need for bearings, collars, etc. and the $$$$$ starts adding up quick. If you don't mind it sawing wedges, you may get by cheaper but it takes some dime to repair to the point that it will cut accurate. My issue I have found is that my Frick is all steel which was done by someone who was not to concerned about how accurate the setup was before they welded. As such I am now replacing the carriage with a new steel frame. If you just love an old Frick like I do then the $ isn't the issue but you may get into more than you thought you would once you start.

Dave C
We're debt free!!! - Dave C, Nov 2015

Ron Wenrich

A welder told me that a lot of times a weld will pull things out of line, especially if you're not a good welder.  Not necessarily a lack of concern about accuracy. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

ddcuning

Ron, when I looked closer at say my husk, the welds look like bubble gum and none of the three pieces of tube steel are level with one another. Took some shimming work to get the mandrel level on those cross members.

Dave C
We're debt free!!! - Dave C, Nov 2015

sealark37

If the head saw is repairable, it is worth $500.  Regards, Clark

Thank You Sponsors!