iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hedgelaying in the UK

Started by Dorset, March 17, 2020, 04:03:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dorset

4am departure 316 mile round trip and surprised and very pleased to get a 1st place in class at the South of England Competition today. Had a great day as always there, great company, brilliant contest and good food to finish. Cheers to all brilliant job well done.

r>

Russell
Dorset Hedgelayer ? Hedge Laying,
Echo 501XS, Echo 390ESX, Echo 2511WES. Elwell3807#2, & Gilpin Yorkshire billhooks, L200, 1 Cocker Spaniel & 1 Cairn Terrier,

WV Sawmiller

@Dorset ,

Congratulations on your big win. Sounds like everybody had a great time.

Now I can add one more sport in this world I don't understand to my previous list which included things like curling and cricket and such. :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Nebraska

Congratulations as well on a good day. I think your craft is fascinating, I like fences and different grazing and livestock husbandry  practices in general.  Even though it probably isn't practical for application out in this neck of the woods, it's interesting to  see it practiced  in places that it can be done.

thecfarm

Good for you.
I like the bottom line on the award.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

petefrom bearswamp

Congrats on your win.
So Do they sprout back?
I assume hedges have more than an aesthetic function?
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Dorset

@peterfrom bearswamp Where as before it had been flailed , if you just carried on doing that hedges become gappy at the bottom, and if not fenced your stock will work its way through..

heres some "regrowth" pictures at 6 months

by laying them you make them stock proof and close up any gaps, the stems (pleachers) will shoot and grown up between the other cut pleachers, 

as well as where you make the cuts at the base it will send up shoots from there as well.

All good for rejuvenation of old hedges, brilliant for nature and of course practical as well
Russell
Echo 501XS, Echo 390ESX, Echo 2511WES. Elwell3807#2, & Gilpin Yorkshire billhooks, L200, 1 Cocker Spaniel & 1 Cairn Terrier,

petefrom bearswamp

Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

farmfromkansas

Interesting way to build a fence. Suppose if a tree limb falls on it, is a lot like barb wire. Except maybe it fixes itself.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Dorset

Hi there, ye its a living fence, and depending on what you have to start with its live stock proof as well and brilliant for nature 
you can see more on my website in the address below
cheers
Russell

Thank You Sponsors!