iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The Mill Shed, A - ?....

Started by tcsmpsi, February 25, 2012, 11:28:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tcsmpsi

From the more recent posting of some of my millshed pictures, I have had some inquiries regarding different aspects of its nature.  Rather than try to reply to each, I thought it might be more advantageous to post on the board and attempt to answer. 

The original footprint of the millshed was 20'W X 40'L, with 2' of roof overhang.

The side of the shed to be used for feeding logs onto the mill, has a 20' opening for that purpose.  The wider area where the mill is to set, is 12' wide and 10' minimum of overhead clearance.  All of the lumber, excepting the 4x4 treated posts came from the milling of trees taken to clear the spot for the millshed.

As can be seen, the 20' opening from feeding the mill, continues through to the permanent drying rack that the shed was built around, that is also 20' long.
Kinda looks all lonely-like, now.   :D

Alas, it was only a short matter of time before realizing that with all the work in building a suitable millshed for the process, how much I 'needed' a solid floor/footing.  Not really liking to work on concrete, for various reasons, I decided on treated 2X6 for the wet it was surely to encounter, over time.

The ramp for taking the mill in/out is landscape timbers, and the little closed in area (4'X8') is a tool room, with the electricity panel, air compressor, tools to work on the mill, blades, etc.  The fans were added to keep the sawdust more out than in when the wind played against me.
They also help keep air moving for drying and keeping humidity somewhat controlled...not to mention a welcome summer addition.  ;D

\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

bedway

Excellent design and build on your shed tcsmpsi. Im thinking about adding on to mine similar to yours.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Yep, your gonna like your shed. I like the pine trees around it to help cut down on the wind on windy days. My mill shed is in an open field and my face gets POUNDED with saw dust when it's windy.

Very nice job you did and I really like the tool building/ office.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

123maxbars

Nice Shed, Im building myself a new shed soon, I like your idea about a wood floor.
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

tcsmpsi

Indeed, it was not long before it started filling up.  For, that is what we went to all the trouble to begin with, eh?   :D

A little more flooring to set the old Delta table saw on, and stacking stuff, and....   ;D

And, yet more flooring for a new addition to the works.   ;)

Since I seemed to have acquired a bit of extra lumber, and needed a place for some of it to go, and to make room for more....I added another 10' wide  the full 40' length.

The posts on this addition are close together in order to build lumber racks on them.
As so...

Of course, this ain't near enough, neither.   :D
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

jueston

bedway

Now im starting to get a man crush on your shed ;D

tcsmpsi

Now, for any who may have concerns in this regard, this millshed has survived both hurricanes Rita and Ike who both bombarded it with 100+ mph sustained winds, a couple smaller trees slung upon it, and one 30' pine top blown about 80' from its trunk onto it.

Oh yes, and not to minimize,

one of Southeast Texas greatest snow storms.    :D

Cutting Edge

Quote from: bedway on February 25, 2012, 12:26:53 PM
Now im starting to get a man crush on your shed ;D

Same here,  ;D  tcsmpsi excellent looking shed.  Add a fridge to the tool room, and ya got a cozy mancave!   ;)  Thanks for the pic and explanation of the build   smiley_thumbsup
"Winning an argument isn't everything, as long as you are heard and understood" - W.S.

Cutting Edge Saw Service, LLC -
- Sharpening Services
- Portable/Custom Milling and Slabbing
- On-Site Sawmill Maintenance/Repair Services

Factory Direct Kasco WoodMaxx Blades
Ph- (304) 878-3343

customdave

Very nice setup, I like it alot  8)....

Dave
Love the smell of sawdust

Ralph

like the 20' spaned opening. dont see any metal. how did you make the span? can not make it out in the pics. new to the site and milling. first post-questions. Ralph
LT35HD BobCat 30hp compact tractor bucket and forks

tcsmpsi

Hey, Ralph!  Welcome to the forum!   

It is a 2X10, with 2X6 reinforcement and properly applied bracing.  Not that much for it to hold really.  I am most likely to be its heaviest contribution.  Big enough tree on it, and it would likely crater.  But then, what wouldn't?  I have shown our 'heavy' snowload for this part of the world...as heavy as I've seen in the last 40 yrs, anyhow.   :D  Even so, it would hold considerably more than that.  These last few years have shown, certainly, that the weather has given way to abnormal at an abnormal rate. 

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, Ralph and I see that you have been silent for a few months.  How about an intro thread and sharing some of your sawing interest.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

LOGDOG

Great pictures tcsmpsi. Love the picture of the trees bending over in the wind and the snow. I remember both events well. We got 19" of rain here in 24 hours when Rita came through. Looks like your engineering held up just fine.  ;) Good job.

slider

nice setup tcsmpsi.you will be out of room in no time. al
al glenn

tcsmpsi

Yeah, al, I know....I am.   :D  In fact, I started thinking yesterday I might just make another add-on to the millshed before I build the classroom and add-on to the house....or finish finishing the house, or......   ;D

tcsmpsi

Most recent pics of why I need more room.    ;D

This is from the back side of the millshed. 

Thank You Sponsors!