iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

It can be done!

Started by paul case, February 28, 2012, 07:19:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

paul case

As many of you know, I recently upgraded from an ez boardwalk model 40 all manual mill to a 94 LT40hd. I have been sawing with the new mill for about 2 months and I am getting along with it real well. Yesterday I sold my ez boardwalk for the asking price. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) This means I traded up to a hydraulic mill for about $5000.
I about hurt my leg jumping for joy. Well I would have if I wasnt so tired from the loading exercise.  When I put the boardwalk mill in the barn, I loaded it on a gooseneck trailer and unloaded it inside(doors are 10'6''w  x 9'9'' tall) and it worked real well. I thought coming out would be the same but I added the pineywoods clamp/turner while it was inside and that adds about 18'' to the height of the mill. So we had to find out the hard way it wouldn't come out on the new owners trailer, well not all of it. We put one end on the trailer and carried the head end much lower with the forklift to get out the door. The fella who bought it walked with a cane and didn't get around well and my dad who usually helps was gone to town. It only took us 2 hours to do what otherwise would have took 30 minutes. No harm done and the new owner seemed happy as can be, kinda like I was to get the mill to begin with!
I was kinda sad to see it go, but it isn't often that you sell an item after using it 3½ years for 75% of its original value! PC
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

Magicman

Good job.  Now the next item is getting that LT40hd out when you buy a SuperHydraulic with a big Diesel engine.   :D :D 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

paul case

It would take me at least 10 minutes to get it out since it still and as far as I care will always have its own wheels! ;D  PC
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
pc

WDH

Paul,

You and Don K and Fishpharmer are setting a good example for us poor manual millers  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

:D  Yup, I assume that you are not planning on doing any portable jobs.  I was just wondering how much portable work is available in your area, or if it is already covered by other sawyers?

I was just curious, I am not going to move in on your territory.  I'm too busy trying to cover my own.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

paul case

It sounded like to me that fishpharmer needs some sawmill rehab! He has got IT bad.  If I had known that DonK was a maual miller previously I would have jawed with him some more about it at the chikn crispn last September at Magicmans.I don't know about example for you but I think I made the best move for me right now.
POOR?  How am I supposed to react to that? I found the cheapest priced manual mill that would cut 16' x at least 28'' when I bought this mill and I haven't been POOR since. ;D
I Really Enjoy Sawmilling! If I didn't do something to make it a little easier on the body I would have to quit.

I know of a few guys who have been set up portable but mostly they sawed at home. We primarily have oak timber around here and the biggest single use for it must be pallets and shipping crates. If we had soft woods I am sure there would be more folks use their own trees to make wood for projects like houses barns and cabins, and that would be better for portable sawmilling. Most of my custom sawing of other peoples logs are less than 10 logs. Many times it is 1 log. However sawing my own logs or buying logs and selling a specialty cut timber or lumber pays ok and I get quite a bit of that from time to time. The only thing that has my WM hooked down is the $89 HF sawdust blower set up that I fixed to it with some duct tape. That may be the first time I have ever used duct tape for its intended purpose! PC
pc

PC-Urban-Sawyer

PC,

I thought that was DUCK TAPE and was wondering where you attached the DUCK to the mill!  ???

Herb

paul case

Where the sawdust chute is. My flex hose is just DUCT TAPED on. I didn't put the tape on a duck.PC
pc

customsawyer

Congrats on the sell of your mill. It is tough to let the one the one that you learned on go.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Brucer

So, Paul, does this mean we're going to see an updated photo/icon soon?  :D
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

fishpharmer

Paul, congrats on helping a fella get into sawmilling with your experienced manual mill.  A few more years and you will be buying out bibbyman. :D

My wife wants to know where the sawmill rehab place is at? 8)
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

WDH

Paul,

You would have to pluck it first, or I am afraid that the tape might not stick  ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Bill Gaiche

Congrats on the sale PC. Did the mill stay close to your area? bg

Peter Drouin

Congratulations Paul , you sold a manual mill to a man that walks with a cane   :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D ;D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

paul case

Meta MO is where it went. It much be about 2½ hours away. I am not planning to visit it unless he calls and says she's lonely. He did confess he probably wouldn't need a sharpening service for a while. I gave him 8 new bands and 17 used ones for the mill. PC
pc

WDH

Quote from: Peter Drouin on February 28, 2012, 09:30:31 PM
Congratulations Paul , you sold a manual mill to a man that walks with a cane   :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D ;D

:D :D :D :D

Paul,

You might be able to sell water to a drowning man  ;D

Okrafarmer

Must have the gift of the Blarney about him, and no mistakin! If he lived in Alaska he'd sell ice to the natives!

Or maybe it's more indicative of how desperate some people are to get their first sawmill....
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

eastberkshirecustoms

So how much duct tape does it take to pluck a duck, if you could pluck a duck with duct?

paul case

I aint no kind of salesman.
I find myself telling the prospective buyer ALL the things that have ever went wrong with the item I am trying to sell. There was a very short list of things with the ez boardwalk mill.
The buyer said he had wanted an EZ and had talked with Edward many times and had almost bought a new jr. model, but for some reason he held off. I didn't have to ''sell'' him the mill, he was already sold on them.
I have an idea his son wanted the mill as bad as he did. The son must have called 2 times just while his dad was there loading it.
PC
pc

Handy Andy

This thread is just too good!  Selling a sawmill to a man who walks with a cane!  Did you guys ever consider having a pig roast down here in the middle of the country?  Be fun to meet you guys.  Jim
My name's Jim, I like wood.

Chuck White

Congratulations on the sale Paul!

~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!