iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

1973 Pioneer P20

Started by DHansen, February 25, 2024, 05:29:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DHansen

Had been looking for this one for about 4 years.  Just didn't know what ever happened to it.  Belonged to my late uncle.  I remember helping him and him using this saw.  I know it was given to me at one point back in about 1985.  I remember him refueling it at the cabin and he spilled gas on it from over filling the fuel tank.  When he pulled the starter cord it went up in flames.  He quickly put out the fires.  Well, we were cleaning out the garage next to the shop and my son in law found the wooden box, bar oil, chainsaw and gas can up in the attic.  You can feel the blistered paint on the metal saw crankcase.  So, I now have another project.

DHansen

Found this Pioneer manual in my file cabinet with my 066 Stihl and 266 Husqvarna manuals.  I'm not sure, but I think the only difference from the P20 and P25 is bar length.  The manual, all of ten pages long, is very informative and not packed full of common-sense safety warnings.  Amazing how times have changed and what information the manufacture shares with the owner of the product.   

thecfarm

Quote from: DHansen on February 28, 2024, 09:08:20 PMThe manual, all of ten pages long, is very informative and not packed full of common-sense safety warnings.  
How right you are!!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

DHansen

The saw shop is making me a new chain today.  Hope to test cut with the old saw Saturday.  Will sharpen up the old Pioneer chain and inspect the links.  I'll see if any links are binding.  Might be better to just save the old chain.  I also found a new spur sprocket for the old saw.  The original one does not look to have had much use.

Spike60

Did you fire up the old girl and give her a workout yet? ffsmiley

It's fun to break out the old iron now and them. The different sounds alone make it worthwhile.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

DHansen

Good morning, Spike, I did get it running and cutting.   Had fun with the old Pioneer last weekend.  Lot different compared to the 550 XP or the 540i XP.  50 years of technology can sure make a difference in noise and vibrations.  My uncle and the owner's manual indicate 16:1 Considering the age of the saw I used Saber at 16:1. I was surprised, very surprised at how clean and the condition of the fuel that was in that red fuel can.  I dumped the fuel into my old Suburban and used it up.  The inside of the can was spotless, and the fuel did not smell bad.  Fuel had to be over 17 years old.  But it was a nice blue color and was mixed with oil.

Al_Smith

Oh dear you might have reignited the oil wars with the mention of 16 to 1 ratio .Surely the 50 to 1 club and Amsoil 100 to 1 group will have to rebut. ffcheesy  

DHansen

Thank You Sponsors!