iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Putting together a log truck

Started by mainiac, January 02, 2012, 07:13:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mainiac

Jocco- My business plan invoving this truck includes the fact that my firewood processor only takes upto 14' stems. I have a 2 cutters within 5 miles of me for the next 2-4 years. These big truck drivers want $25 or $30 per cord to move the wood those 5 miles. The only thing I do this time of year is plow snow so I figured why not fill in between storms and cut out the drivers cut. I have done 75 cord this year and want double the output and if the sales are there and the cash flow is there I would not mind tripling this years numbers. Delivering 12'-14' to people that want to process 2-3 cord on their own would be bonus.

The way I am hauling right now is a pain because I have to rig my one truck for plowing then when the I am done with the storm, I have to unrid (plow and sander) so that I can use my dump trailer. Plus that takes the loader away from the processor. There a couple of other business ideas that I am going to pursue that a road worthy loader would play into

I do not want to make trips to the mills. To many others with big trucks to do that, but taking the occasional log or 2 to the local sawyer yes.

While I do appreciate the advice on going big, I still think there is the niche market for the small truck in my area if I set up right.
Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

EricR

I use a international 4700 low pro for hauling logs.  Its got a 21,500 gvw.  Im about 11,000 empty. And  i can carry 2 cords legally.  Its got a 10 foot dump body on it.  I load it with a kubota.  I tried to haul 12 footers with it and had too much overhang and that made the rear sag a lot even with out a full load.  I went to 10 footers and that solved my problem.  I guess what im saying with a light truck is make sure you get something with a log enough wheelbase so you dont have a lot past the rear axle.  I would think an awsome rig would be a 26000 gvw truck with a rear mounted loader and pull a 5 ton trailer behind you.  Then you could have a load split between the two .  In Mass a trailer 5 ton or under is a freebie and doesnt count towards your 26000 GCWR limit.  My truck has the t444e (7.3 diesel)  and its slow  It does the job but its slow.  Im guessing the gm gassers are slow as well.  Do yourself the favor and get the biggest engine you can.  My truck also came with the dt466 and that would make a ok truck an excellent truck

bill m

Mainiac, Don't give up on the single axle truck idea. I put 3 cords on my truck and have sold over 60 cords this past fall. A lot of my customers do not want a big triaxle load of wood all at one time.
NH tc55da Metavic 4x4 trailer Stihl and Husky saws

mainiac

Bill, not giving up, just regrouping the hunt. I got a bit of an idea from someone today that has me thinking and just need to figure out what truck I need to follow through with that idea.
Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

Ironwood

FYI, A sweet NON-CDL set up would/ could be a F450 15-16k GVW with a 16' bed (bunks) crane on the back and a 10K trailer behind, that would give you approx, 2 ton capacity on the deck of the truck , and 3+ ton on the trailer (perhaps more if you had a custom light unladen weight trailer custom built, as most 10k trailers w/ decks weigh 3000-3500lbs.)  I bet you could get close to 2000-2500 lbs unladen. Remember keep it under 26K to avoid CDL, you would still need a biannual Medical Card (no biggie)

Remember over weight trucks are STEEP fines, over weight trailers MUCH less.

The Hiab 035 on my 550 only weighs 1000 lbs and lifts 5500lbs  "close", put a light grapple on it and it would be sweet. Older cranes are heavy, newer ones more engineered=lighter.

Ironwood

There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

jocco

Quote from: mainiac on January 05, 2012, 04:28:58 PM
Jocco- My business plan invoving this truck includes the fact that my firewood processor only takes upto 14' stems. I have a 2 cutters within 5 miles of me for the next 2-4 years. These big truck drivers want $25 or $30 per cord to move the wood those 5 miles. The only thing I do this time of year is plow snow so I figured why not fill in between storms and cut out the drivers cut. I have done 75 cord this year and want double the output and if the sales are there and the cash flow is there I would not mind tripling this years numbers. Delivering 12'-14' to people that want to process 2-3 cord on their own would be bonus.

The way I am hauling right now is a pain because I have to rig my one truck for plowing then when the I am done with the storm, I have to unrid (plow and sander) so that I can use my dump trailer. Plus that takes the loader away from the processor. There a couple of other business ideas that I am going to pursue that a road worthy loader would play into

I do not want to make trips to the mills. To many others with big trucks to do that, but taking the occasional log or 2 to the local sawyer yes.

While I do appreciate the advice on going big, I still think there is the niche market for the small truck in my area if I set up right.
Just trying to give you ideas of some things i have seen that did not work. A wheeler with loader might be best for you for what you describe. Trying to circumvent the cdl law might not be good either as there is a lot of debate on that.
You may check out but you will never leave

jocco

Also did i mention hose trailers with a loader from patu, medevac etc??? If you have a dump truck one guy bought a loader (licenced as a crane) and used the dumptruck and just loaded with the crane. Just an idea
You may check out but you will never leave

ahlkey

I have a F650 rated at 26,000 lbs and also pull a custom tri-axle trailer with a 1400 Metavic loader.  Overall combined rating is 40,000 lbs which allows me to pull 3-4 cords of sawlogs for my own use.  However, when doing full pulp or firewood truckloads I always have it hired out.  It just is not economical for me nor is it worth the liability risks.

treefarmer87

that metavic is one great setup :) nice rig
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

Thank You Sponsors!