iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

harvesting knots

Started by mrbrb, October 16, 2013, 03:05:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mrbrb

Hello, New here, opening with a question:

What species of wood has the greatest concentration of consistently sized knots? I am creating a kind of 'wood product' whose surface is covered with hundreds of inlaid knots. I have been cutting each inlay individually with a chisel but this has become too time consuming (about 10 minutes per knot). Inlays are from 1/8 to 1/4" deep, averaging about 1" square.

What I'd like to do is use a router and jig to cut all of my inlay holes at a fixed size, and then inlay knots of a fixed size. My problem is that knot size varies drastically (Im getting most of these knots from the scrap bin).

So, I am looking for any suggestions for a densely knotted wood, with consistently sized knots.

I have a band mill I built recently, which I plan on using to mill knots out of my slabs etc. But I am looking for a more streamlined way of approaching this whole process.

Thanks and all the best!

Ianab

Interesting question, usually we are looking for wood with LESS knots.  :D

But to answer your question, probably some of the softwoods like pine and cedar. And what you will want is open grown trees, or the top logs (with lots of branches left on them). Think about those open grown pasture cedars and that are nuisance trees in many places. That's probably what you should be looking at.

Trees growing in a forest will usually shed their lower branches early in their life, and grow more clear, knot free wood in the lower trunk. Open grown trees will retain more branches, and hence more knots.

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

thecfarm

mrbrb,welcome to the forum. Must want this to be on a wall in your house,coffe table??
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WDH

White pine has knots in whorls, and is the traditional pine for "knotty pine paneling". 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

john_bud

Chinese elm has lots of side branchings too.  It's a soft wood that is concidered a nuisance or weed tree.
280 acres of tree farm

mrbrb

Thanks for the suggestions-
Here are a few photos from my last attempt at this- as you can see I randomly spaced the inlays. This time, I would like to place them in a grid, with all knot - squares being the same size.

What you see here are mostly EWP and 'white cedar' knots. Not sure where I could get chinese elm-  I'm located in connecticut.

Will post some more pictures as the project gets under weigh.

GAB

Mr brb:
You wrote: "So, I am looking for any suggestions for a densely knotted wood, with consistently sized knots."
Based on my sawing experience the size of the knot(s) is related to the size of the branch and is variable based on the tree specie, and the angle that it met the saw blade.  Do you know anyone who might produce veneer that might be interested in, or would allow you to con him (or her) into veneering a piece of spruce, or balsam that had a lot of branches. 
Welcome to the forum and wishing you the best in your endeavors.  Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

mrbrb

GAB:  The veneer option sounds pretty good. Ill look into some mills in the connecticut/ mass area. I wonder what happens to all of those knots that get chopped out of plywood stock at the plywood factory... that could provide an endless source of consistently sized knots. Do they rout out the knots, or do they just cut them out with a punch?

Thanks.

Ljohnsaw

Mrbrb,

The knots taken out of the plywood veneer is done with a cookie cutter thing and a press (saw it on "How Its Made").  What they are doing is not necessarily cutting out knots, but imperfections (holes, dropped knots, other damage).  So, the cut out piece might not be a knot that you would want.  Have you thought about routing circles or ovals with a template on both your knotty "donor" board and your "recipient" board?  Seems like that would go real fast.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

mesquite buckeye

Most any wood from the central core of just about any tree will be very knotty. If you could hook up with a portable sawmill guy in your area, I'm sure he could thin cut the central core any way you wanted to give you your knots.

Especially knotty in the middle- eastern redcedar, pin oak, shingle oak, cherry, elm.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

mrbrb

Right on.. I'd use my own mill but am waiting on a new engine.   

Weekend_Sawyer

Wow, those are some very cool looking boards!

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Kansas

I think ERC would be the ticket. Get down in the wood aways on a good log, it turns into smaller knots.

Jeff

What is the structure in the last photo? Sculpture? It's awesome!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

thecfarm

I want to know what that is and how it was made,what kind of wood?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

jueston

it does look like an awesome sculpture... if it was a little smaller i could put it in the middle of my living room...

beenthere

QuoteWhat I'd like to do is use a router and jig to cut all of my inlay holes at a fixed size, and then inlay knots of a fixed size.

With this in mind, have you considered just cutting cross-sections of limbs? Remove the bark if preferred or not, and get the knot effect. Vary the species as desired.
Could even size the limbs on a lathe and use a hole saw (or router and template) to make the corresponding size hole to drop the limb cross-sections in about as tight as desired.
Just a thought....
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Jeff on October 16, 2013, 01:19:47 PM
What is the structure in the last photo? Sculpture? It's awesome!

No, you can't put a Deer Stand on it.  ;D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Jeff

I was thinking more like slits in it to hold antique chainsaws collection. Just stick the bars in random places.  Actually that is a lowbrow use for what looks like high end art to me. :)

doctorb

I'd leave it just as is.  A wonderful and, to me, original, work of art.  Really cool.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Do any of Y'all remember playing JACKS, with the little ball?
It reminds me of a Jack.
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

WmFritz

Quote from: mrbrb on October 16, 2013, 12:31:32 PM
Right on.. I'd use my own mill but am waiting on a new engine.   

That three-man pipe wrench makes a handy Peavy.  :)
~Bill

2012 Homebuilt Bandmill
1959 Detroit built Ferguson TO35

mrbrb

Thanks for the knots ideas.. going to mine a bunch of pine slabs tonight.

Here are a few images of the process of making those sculptures - tetrapods- based on wave dissipating blocks used in coastal engineering.

You can see how that pipe wrench was being used...

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: mrbrb on October 16, 2013, 07:10:01 PM
<<snip>>

Here are a few images of the process of making those sculptures - tetrapods- based on wave dissipating blocks used in coastal engineering.

<<snip>>

I thought those were the anti-landing craft blocks used during WW2...
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Cedarman

I am getting ready to send 4000' of cedar cants to a veneer mill. I am sure they would sell some veneer.
Let me know and I will PM you the company.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Ken

mrbrb

Very nice looking projects.  Hats off to you.
Lots of toys for working in the bush

LeeB

Wow, some drill bit you got there. Did you make it yourself?
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Jeff

Okay, do I have to be the first to ask about the giant duck on a pallet?

thecfarm

Maybe it went to Wilton ME. I think there are a few around town like that. They are all diffeant painted.

mrbrb

thanks for the kind words- 
regarding the drill bit, it is just a standard 1" metal cutting bit, welded to a 9' piece of rod. Figuring out how to drill that 9' hole straight took a lot of trial and error. Barefoot auger wandered way too much. Step bit was straight but slow. With this metal cutting bit, it took about 20 minutes per 9' hole.
regarding the duck, it is carved from a block of brownstone.

so now that I've got about 400 knots, need to figure out how to dry them without too much warping.
Thanks for all of the suggestions.

beenthere

That was quick.
From last evening to this morning, you now have a bucket with 400 knots.

From where did you collect them? They look to be about 1/4" thick.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Cedarman

Looks like you made a lot of knot holes.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

jueston

I can't believe how centered that hole was after 9 feet.... wow...

beenthere

Likely staying in the soft juvenile core wood at the pith center is not that much of a problem if started right.

I'd think plugging up the bit with drilled wood means several withdrawals to clean it out.

That is quite an indexing rig used to make the different face cuts. Leaves some slabs that might be reassembled into some other form of art, but I don't know what it would be..   ;D
south central Wisconsin

RynSmith

Quote from: beenthere on October 17, 2013, 02:24:01 PM
Leaves some slabs that might be reassembled into some other form of art, but I don't know what it would be.. 

We should hook up mrbrb with that artist (I think she was a she) who was looking for slabs not too long ago!  ;D

Roxie

Quote from: Jeff on October 17, 2013, 08:22:45 AM
Okay, do I have to be the first to ask about the giant duck on a pallet?

That is one really awesome duck!! 
Say when

Magicman

You certainly have some very interesting projects and ideas mrbrb, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

I do not know how to harvest knotholes, but my company name is Knothole Sawmill.   :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Thank You Sponsors!