iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

air drying time for 6x7 syp for cabin construction

Started by drobertson, March 03, 2014, 09:56:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drobertson

Been sawing logs for a customer, he and I not sure how long before he can realistically use them. 
david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Den Socling

Too many variable here. What species? And for what use?

drobertson

thanks for the response Den, these cants are Southern Yellow Pine, 10' to 16'  6x7"  they will be stacked in 7" vertical courses if I understand correctly.  He plans on air drying then later this summer beginning the build.  I did some study, and am thinking this may not be long enough.  Just hanging around the house and thought I would pic some brains on the subject.   thanks for your time,       david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

A little bit of drying...several weeks of good drying, will reduce the MC so that mold will not grow on the surface.  But syp is prone to warp, especially side bend, bow and twist when drying.  So, if they dry in use, the wall can have a serious problem with twisting and bowing.  Therefore, with syp, very thorough drying is essential to good performance.  I would suggest that with a roof to keep rain off, good air flow, up off the ground, you would be fairly good in three warm months and better in four months.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

drobertson

thanks Gene, these are some great straight logs, tight growth, with no signs of stress as many have while sawing.  The last D shaped cabin I sawed, keeping heart centered has shown great results without warping or twisting.  But one never knows with wood.  I will relay this info on,  thanks again,    david

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Indeed, slow grown warps less...much less compression wood in my experience.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Thank You Sponsors!