iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Milling the backstop

Started by AnthonyW, December 11, 2013, 09:05:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AnthonyW

Has anyone thought about adding a guard that could be slid into place when you could possibly mill the backstop?

As I was using my new-to-me mill, I noticed the tape measure on the tower has a yellow section that corresponds to where you might mill into the backstop. I haven't looked at it yet, but I was thinking about trying to add a guard that could be slid into place to protect the blade from the backstop (or the backstop from the blade). It might be similar to the blade guard and guide roller support from the other side.
'97 Wood-Mizer LT25 All Manual with 15HP Kohler

Deese

I have an EZ boardwalk Jr mill and it has a guard that you are speaking of...and it has saved my  :-X many times.
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

AnthonyW

Quote from: Deese on December 11, 2013, 09:20:43 AM
I have an EZ boardwalk Jr mill and it has a guard that you are speaking of...and it has saved my  :-X many times.

I don't know what that section of the LT25 mill head looks like. I'm dying to get home and look to see what is there I can bolt to (preferably without drilling any holes). Any chance of a photo from your EZ mill?

Any chances someone has something similar on a WM mill, with photos?
'97 Wood-Mizer LT25 All Manual with 15HP Kohler

thecfarm

I saw a mill once,that there was a piece of metal that would hit the stop and tip it out of the way. Reason I noticed it, there was not a saw blade mark on his stops. I asked him about it and he showed me why.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sprucebunny

My mill has a 3/8" diameter bar that sticks out and down from the fixed guide bearing mount. The bar would contact a backstop first...only have to avoid the dogs  ;)
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Deese

Quote from: AnthonyW on December 11, 2013, 09:24:34 AM
Quote from: Deese on December 11, 2013, 09:20:43 AM

I don't know what that section of the LT25 mill head looks like. I'm dying to get home and look to see what is there I can bolt to (preferably without drilling any holes). Any chance of a photo from your EZ mill?

Any chances someone has something similar on a WM mill, with photos?

I will be at the mill this afternoon and I will try to remember and take a few pics of the guard, maybe it will be helpful for ya.
2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

diesel pap

i have the ezboardwalk 40 and has the stop also. very simple but works for sure.

bandmiller2

Before I changed over to store bought roller guides I had a piece of steel that would push the backstop out of the way or stop the carriage now its all up to me.On my mill I'am safe down to 12" Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Thank You Sponsors!