iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Board and Batten material?

Started by Brad_bb, July 13, 2015, 06:38:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

Trying to decide on siding material. Vertical B&B left to gray naturally, rough sawn on a house and garage/workshop.

In central Indiana. Some are telling me EWP will work well, cost is good, easy to install. Others saying Easter White Cedar is the way to go.

Pro's for EWP - lower cost, easier installation, stable.
cons for EWP - Pitch will bleed in direct sun, not rot or insect resistant. Will Rot be a real problem on siding or will it dry quickly and last a long time? Will insects really attack it? There will be 18 inches of stone from the ground up before the siding starts so you won't get splashing at the ground.

Pro's for EWC - More rot and insect resistant, no pitch bleeding
Con's for EWC - Cost 2-3 times more than EWP so I'm being told. I've already priced EWP at .90/linear foot in 12".

Any experience help appreciated.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

beenthere

Did you move to Indiana?

Siding will be...
On a house?
Painted?
B&B ?
Horizontal?
Rough sawn?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WDH

Many buildings over the ages in the US have been sided with pine.  Given the rock foundation protecting the siding from contact from the ground and preventing wicking up moisture, I would not hesitate to use it. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

4x4American

Boy, back in my day..

razor

Well i've used both, as well as WRC for B&B on various buildings. No real problems with either one. They all perform equally well. If you have good air circulation and good ground clearance as you say it will last for decades, even the pine.
The key, in my opinion, to long lasting B&B in addition to the ability to dry is proper installation. The boards need to be nailed in a way that allows shrinking and expansion. One nail in the centre of boards 8" wide or less and 2 nails at the 3rds in wider boards. Leave a 1/4" gap between and drive one nail in the batten through the gap. Done this way, everything can move seasonally without splitting due to constrictive nailing
I've sawn my own B&B for years and always saw my boards a full 1" thick and the battens 3/4". I like the look better than 1" thick battens which make the siding look bulky IMO.

Brad_bb

Razor, what type/size of nail is preferred?
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

beenthere

For what it is worth, I use deck screws rather than nails.

Nails work themselves loose over time, due to wood movement. Screws stay put and the deck ones do not rust and cause a dark streak.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

razor

3" galvanized ardox, the extra length works for the battens cuz you lose an inch there. I suppose ring shanked stainless would work also but i have no experience using them.
I've really not had an issue with nails working themselves loose, maybe I've been lucky. I have considered screws but i just don't like the look of the screw heads with the B&B. Seems to clash with "old school" look i like. But that's just me.

thecfarm

I like galvanized nails. I guess lumber, nails and weather is different here in Maine. Those galvanized nails in the horse run in don't work themselves loose. No black streak either. But has only been up about 10 years too. Ever try to pull a galvanized nail out? I myself do not build anything with regular nails, galvanized only. Now if I plan on taking it apart, regular nails, or sheet-rock screws is used.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

thechknhwk

I was thinking about using exterior trim screws on the batten to minimize the appearance of the head....

petefrom bearswamp

Pine should be fine pun intended.
I have 2 buildings, one sided with pine, the other Hemlock, but both are stained.
the pine is lap siding the other B&B.
No appreciable movement with the B&B after 9 yrs.
the Hemlock was partially air dried when but on.
Nails are Ardox, no loose ones.
Razor, I like your batten idea, may try that for my customers.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Brian_Weekley

Quote from: petefrom bearswamp on July 15, 2015, 07:24:05 AM
Pine should be fine pun intended.

A pun would be fun, but I'll give you a dime if it's more than a rhyme.
An Ardox nail will withstand the hail, but those board and bats take a lot of whacks.
I hate to stain—what a pain, but if it looks good I probably would.
When you're done with that pine, you deserve some fine wine.   :D

Sorry, I didn't sleep well last night... ::)
e aho laula

Thank You Sponsors!