iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stacking Boards – Vertical or Horizontal?

Started by luby492, January 29, 2012, 06:10:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

luby492

Hello all.  I am in the process of moving my shop due to expansion (I'm still very small) and I would like some input on the best way to stack wood.  I primarily sell grade boards to local cabinet shops, hobbyists, and the occasional retailer.  My stock is random widths and generally 8' and 10-12' stock.   I have about 5-8 species.  This is all dry wood.

So what is the best way to stack and present the lumber??  Does anyone have any pictures of their stock rooms or plans of stacking methods?  I am leaning towards vertical stacking smaller quantities in the "show room" and then horizontal stacking the larger quantities in storage.  I would like to build the storage only once, and right the first time....

All input is appreciated.  Thanks!

Kansas

I think that is a good approach. Put the fanciest, figured, etc. up against the wall, where it shows off well. Put the regular stuff in stacks horizontally. We have sold quite a few slabs for coffee tables, etc. over the years that someone on the mill thought was pretty. We stack those up on end.

dgdrls

Red Oak I just purchased from local Hardwood Shop was stacked vertical. 5/4" 12' planks

DGDrls

jim king

QuoteRe: Stacking Boards – Vertical or Horizontal?
« Reply #1 on: Today at 06:35:04 pm »QuoteI think that is a good approach. Put the fanciest, figured, etc. up against the wall, where it shows off well. Put the regular stuff in stacks horizontally. We have sold quite a few slabs for coffee tables, etc. over the years that someone on the mill thought was pretty. We stack those up on end.

I agree 100%

WDH

Forum member Scott Smith has the best system that I have seen.  Hopefully, he will chime.  I have seen a pic of his approach.  Maybe it is in his gallery.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!