iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mourning Doves

Started by Jeff, November 30, 2000, 06:49:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kevin

Dan, I`m a cable repair tech for Bell Canada.
I work in and around town and have about 200km of cable,carrier and fiber to maintain northward along the trans Canada two track.
It`s a little on the buggy side up here right now and if that doesn`t frost your tropicals we`ve got bears up to our ying yangs.

RobK

Well, I've learned something new. I figured that phone and power lines would be tougher than that. I certainly didn't mean to imply that I condone shooting at wires. I'd certainly never heard of it being a problem. While I have been tempted a time or two to try and take some doves off a line, I never have and never would.

Thanks for the welcome!
-Rob

Cedar Eater

I think the whole wire issue is a red herring. Shooting doves on wires is like shooting upland game birds before they fly. Hunters who do that in the presense of others are laughed at. The sport is to catch them on the wing. We all know that some hunters will do anything to bag their prey, but other hunters shouldn't have to forego their hunts just because some spoilsports give them a bad name.

As for doves eating at bird feeders, if you watch them long enough, you see that they can be just as ornery as any other bird. Doves are just birds and when we let emotions decide policy, we always lose.
Cedar Eater

DanG

I don't think that people shooting sitting birds is the problem. Sometimes, the birds fly near the wires and cables, causing the hunters to accidently perforate said conveyors of power and conversation. All I'm saying is that you should be careful, and try not to hit them. :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Cedar Eater

But that's just DanG good common sense. The same could happen with pheasants and ducks, but they don't roost on wires. The decision on whether to have dove hunting or not should be based on the assumption that the society should guarantee the individual liberty if an overwhelming societal need doesn't exist. The benefits of allowing dove hunting seem to overwhelm the negative effects.

Cedar Eater

Kevin

On the subject of birds, what`s a good non lethal woodpecker deterrent?

DanG

"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

CHARLIE

Kevin, check a few of these for ideas:

www.critterridders.com/birdrepellents.htm
www.birdbarrier/Site%20Pages/ScareProducts.htm
www.paulnoll.com/bird-feeder-Woodpecker.html
www.users.qwest.net/~lhutchins/flickerfacts.htm

I basically did a search for 'woodpecker deterrent'.  There are a lot of sites on this subject :P
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Kevin

WSJ

A good dove shoot is a quality hunting experience and just as sporting as you care to make it.  What isn't a good or sporting dove hunt (and probably illegal to boot)?  Shooting them off your bird feeder (or baited field) or off a powerline.  You can't legislate ethics.

As for eat-ability, they're pretty tasty and, as one of my old wildlife professors said, "They're bigger than a shrimp."

Wish there was a season in NY.  I miss South Carolina!  
-WSJ

Thank You Sponsors!