iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Building my Retirement Home or "My First 5 Year Plan"

Started by Weekend_Sawyer, March 23, 2016, 08:43:11 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scsmith42

That's looking great!  Keep the pix (and progress) coming!!!
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Raider Bill

I'm reliving building mine watching you! Thanks! :)
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Don P

Quote from: DWyatt on August 20, 2019, 08:15:05 AM
Planing that much lumber down in that heat with a lunchbox planer is an impressive feat! Things are looking awesome!
It sure is, we let the magic blue smoke out of my 15" a couple of weeks ago planing oak siding on a very warm day. Looking very good!

Weekend_Sawyer

I asked Jim to move this thread to the Timber Framing section.
I have contracted with a timber framer from Vermont named Dave Sills to build the frame. He built another cabin in our valley and it's a beautiful place. I am looking forward to working with him.

Thank you Jim Rogers
and thank you all for your positive input!
Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Roxie

This is so much fun to watch.  I'm so happy fr you. 
Say when

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: Weekend_Sawyer on August 21, 2019, 07:09:27 AM
I asked Jim to move this thread to the Timber Framing section.
I have contracted with a timber framer from Vermont named Dave Sills to build the frame. He built another cabin in our valley and it's a beautiful place. I am looking forward to working with him.

Thank you Jim Rogers
and thank you all for your positive input!
Jon
Actually we need to thank Jeff for the move as I was not able to do it correctly.
Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Weekend_Sawyer

Weekend_Sawyer

Last weekend I picked up enough 1x8 tongue and groove knotty pine for the underlayment of the ceiling. They are 16' long and wrapped in bundles of 5. I never saw it wrapped like that before.

Luckily the Poole brothers stopped by just as I was starting to unload.

thecfarm

Lucky for you,unlucky for them. :D
I have a friend that helped me put up full 2x10x12,hot of the sawmill. He did not show up for a month after that. ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

richhiway

Woodmizer LT 40
New Holland 35 hp tractor
Stihl Chainsaws
Ford 340 Backhoe

Weekend_Sawyer

Here's the first beams cut for the cabin.
Were getting closer. We plan on standing the timber frame up starting the 23rd of this month.

Stephen1

I'm impressed. Goodluck
I am just about to embark on a similiar project. The gears are turning and I will know in a month or so
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Weekend_Sawyer

Here's another whack of beams for my house.
They will be loaded on the truck and on Monday the 23rd start heading from Vermont to West Virginia. Man it's getting exciting!

Roxie

Say when

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Weekend_Sawyer

It's been an incredible couple of weeks!
We had 2 experienced timber framers, 3 local contractors, 1 crane operator and 6 more people that helped and did not get in the way. No one got hurt, and we all had a great time. This has been a very positive experience and my retirement home is really taking shape.

On Wednesday morning the 23rd the truck and crane showed up on time. Now that's a great start. We unloaded and got the truck out in about 1/2 hour.

Here's the first bent going up. What a moment!

The 2nd bent going up.

I got to run the Hammer a couple of whacks.

and sometimes you can't wait for the crane and just got to set the post yourself.

kidding aside the professionals were a pleasure to work with and allowed us novices to help and learn.

Here's the last pic I took as I was leaving to come back home and to work.

My general contractor is still on the job buttoning it up. Once it is enclosed it will sit for the winter while I do little things around it and rebuild my finances.

I am very happy with the progress and the way it looks.
I have had the plans on my desk and poured over them for a while but being there while it came together is an amazing experience.
Jon

Raider Bill

Jon,

Just by your button suspenders anyone can tell you got class!! [I wear them too! :D :D :D :D}

Great progress!
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

SwampDonkey

Great progress Jon! Looks great. You'll soon be in'er. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

This is Amazing.  Thanks for sharing your joy Jon.  thumbs-up
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

tule peak timber

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

sawmilllawyer

Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

samandothers

Wow what progress!  Great job!
Looks like it was fun too.  Nice to accomplish all this with a fun group to work with.  Look forward to additional updates.  

Weekend_Sawyer

Quote from: Raider Bill on October 03, 2019, 02:09:45 PM
Jon,

Just by your button suspenders anyone can tell you got class!! [I wear them too! :D :D :D :D}

Great progress!
well, without them it would be a whole different show!

Don P

That first pic of the crane under the lines sucked my belly button up, he must have been a good operator. It looks great, and looks like y'all had a good time :).

Thank You Sponsors!