iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Alaskan sawmill curvy flitches

Started by astevens, February 06, 2019, 12:58:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

astevens

I have a question about cutting curvy limbs with an Alaskan sawmill. I am in need of curvy oak flitches and was wondering if there is a rail system for the first pass that would fit on a curvy/oddshaped log?  After that it will be straight forward. If this has already been covered then let me know but I couldn't find much on the subject. Thanks

mredden

1. Ladders CAN work. All depends on how curvy.

2. You can build a cutaway frame around/above the curved log or limb to get your first cut. Plywood, jigsaw and 2x4 scraps. Just be careful on nail/screw placement.

3. Now, I'm just free-flow thinking here but it might be doable. Instead of thinking of using the mill traditionally from top/down, think of cutting from bottom/up. Make "sled shoes" for the bottom "feet" of the CSM that  (1) cover the bolt heads on bottom of the mill, (2) raise the powerhead above ground level, and (3) provides a slick, low friction surface. Sawdust might help. Push the mill through the log on a smooth, VERY flat surface like a paved driveway. Wedging will be even more important. Sucky knee work for the first cut. - I gotta' look at my mill tonight and see if this is a legitimately idea or just a brain fart. ;D

offrink

This is how we do it. We had a custom rail made out of 1x4 solid aluminum. The cross braces are parallel to the ground with holes drilled in them at set spaces. Then we can take a bold and jam nut it at whatever legnth we need to make it level and solid across the log. Once cut remove the bolts and use like normal. 

astevens

Thank You Sponsors!