iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sawing Project 2024

Started by customsawyer, December 06, 2023, 06:57:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mfrost459

Jake, thanks so much for hosting the project again!! It is impressive to see how much everyone cares about this profession. Thank you for investing your time, effort and resources into this group. It always amazes me how much I learn at this event. Tips on sharpening blades, quarter sawing logs, learned more about skip-tooth chains, muscle cramp remedies, advantages of using 1-1/2 - .055 blades on my mill, how to market our scrap wood, and the simplest of all using pvc pipe to pass strapping bands under lumber packs. Oh and the stories you hear are amazing. The project is one of the highlights of my year.Thanks again Jake, Robert, Nathan and all in attendance !
Wood-Mizer LT50 Wide 2021 - LT-40 - 1992
EG-200 board Edger - New Holland Skilsteer - Kubota SVL95-2 skidsteer
Nyle L53 Kiln -  Nyle L200S Container Kiln

Have a great day milling!

YellowHammer

I looked and felt like a bunch of the butternut I've sawn, but it seemed to be a little heavier than I am used to.  Other than that, it was a dead ringer.   WV Sawmiller says butternut is not uncommon in his area, so it seemed to be a good fit. 

It also highly reminded me of some of the Kentucky Coffee I have sawn up, which also looks a lot like butternut except for the bark, and is slightly more dense, but I wasn't sure if there is any in that locale as it is very rare.   

As I mentioned, I am only familiar with the species I have in my region. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

customsawyer

I don't have either of those in my area, so I'm not familiar with them. I'll call it whatever you want me to as long as it belongs to me.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

customsawyer

For those that think the area on the chute side of my mill is a great place to watch it. This happened just this morning.

https://forestryforum.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=353566

https://forestryforum.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pid=353567
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

beenthere

That could leave a mark.   no_no

Best wear a cup..
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

That is always a wake-up call  :shocked2:  and I have had it to happen several times.  I hate that I did not have a camera during my 1st six years of sawing.
DSCN0291
IMG_0562.JPG
IMG_1244.JPGIMG_1245.JPG
Once even punched a new hole through the metal chute.

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

RichTired

Thank you Jake for hosting this event and  allowing us to see your operation.
I am amazed at the talent and skills of the members of this forum.
To all those that helped and made presentations, thank you!
Wood-Mizer LT15GO, Kubota L2800, Husqvarna 268 & Stihl 241 C-M chainsaws, Logrite cant hook, Ford F-150 Fx4

Richard

TimW

In A&P school, we were taught to never stand in the plane of rotation of anything under power.  Propellors, jet engine compressor and turbine blades are a few that come to mind.  Stand off to the side and in front of or behind whatever is turning high rpm.  So you would be basically at a 45 degree position.  Oh yeah, don't walk into the exhaust of a jet. smiley_thumbsdown
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

WV Sawmiller

Jake,

Since Tom is so excited about the butternut go ahead and scrape some of the mud off the cookie I left on top of the board and go ahead and sell that to him for $5. That would be a "fair" price for him to pay for it. ffcheesy
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

123maxbars

Just posted the project video on YouTube 
Hope I did it justice 

Sawmilling: EPIC Massive Oak Log! Never Seen Anything Like It
https://youtu.be/2OAGRpBoO2I
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

esteadle

Quote from: TimW on April 24, 2024, 03:45:44 PMOh yeah, don't walk into the exhaust of a jet. smiley_thumbsdown
Or the intake. ffsmiley

TimW

The warning marks, at the gate, were about 15 feet, for an idling engine.  Full power you need around 40 feet in front.  When we trimmed engines, we were at takeoff power and you approached from the side and you leaned over real low or crawled under the cowling to the fuel controller.
I had a coworker get sucked in an inlet during an engine trim run.  Lucky for him it was a -200 with a Pratt and Whitney JT8D-17 with inlet guide vanes before the compressor blades.  Those guide vanes saved his life.
Mahindra 6520 4WD with loader/backhoe and a Caterpiller E70 Excavator.  My mill is a Woodmizer LT40HD Wide 35hp Yanmar Diesel. An old Lull 644D-34 called Bull

Magicman

Quote from: 123maxbars on April 24, 2024, 07:57:22 PMJust posted the project video on YouTube 
Hope I did it justice 
Thank You Nathan.  ffcool
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

customsawyer

Nathan you knocked it out the park. Thank you my good friend.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

YellowHammer

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Jeff

That was so much fun!!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

caveman

I enjoyed both videos.  I have watched the videos of previous projects many times and the time was well spent.  
Caveman

customsawyer

Robert yours is a home run too. Dang both you guys done good.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

doc henderson

Very nice Robert.  Thanks.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Old Greenhorn

Both videos are great! Thank you for including us poor unfortunates who could not make the trip. Geez that QS WO came out super!
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Bruno of NH

Thanks for the videos Robert and Nathan
It looked like a great time
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Magicman

RefHawk

The videos are excellent! Thanks guys!
Colossians 2:7
Woodmizer LT 40,

Stephen1

Thanks for the videos! Great job! Its  almost like being there except no brown pops at the bonfire.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Magicman

I did not see nor hear anyone speak of Purple Drank ??

Thank You Sponsors!