iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

log spacing for a porch rafter?

Started by surfsupinhawaii, April 02, 2007, 10:26:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

surfsupinhawaii

I sent this message to my Engineer yesterday, but have not heard back from him. I am trying to do the corrections on my plans for my log home and came across this problem. I am wondering if maybe some of you out there know what the spacing would be for an 9.5'' d/fir log at 10' supported at 8' at the porch girder. I am a G. Contractor, but have never really worked with logs. It is a wrap around porch with hips on each corner. I was first wondering about how to attach the log itself to the side of the house. My Engineer on the plans said to put a 2 1/2'' x 6'' ledger, but Just wondered if I should maybe scribe it into the top log somehow, and on the hips where the jack rafter (9.5'' log) meets the hip, what type of connection to make there. I was thinking of maybe some sort of mortise and tenon joint.  I put the email I sent to my engineer on here also, if that helps. Thanks a lot for all the help :)

I sent this to my Engineer.
I am dealing with the eaves that go around the house that cover the decking. The plans say the rafters are an 8'' D/Fir log with 2''x 6'' T&G  decking roof covering . Two sides of the house have a porch eave that is supported by a 10' long 8'' log. The log is supported at 8' by a  9.5'' girder with a 2' over hang past the girder. On  the other side there is an 8'' log that is 12' long supported at 10' by the same 9.5'' girder. They are all attached to the side of the house with a 2 1/2'' ledger support. My question is what the spacing would be on a log of this span and length. The snow load is 78. The plans say that they are spaced at 32'' o.c. but that seems a bit close to me.

Don P

This might help or not.
http://www.iccsafe.org/cs/standards/is-log/3Draft_3.pdf
I have a more recent draft on the old computer, if it is of help I can email it. It is the draft of the proposed log code. it does have design values for round and sawn surface round beams that could then be used in a beam calc. This is not code but the numbers are recognized.

Myself, I'd try to mortise the top of the hip into the wall. No notching of the hip is allowed in the center third of its span. I've done a small porch by scribing the jacks to the hip and countersinking a lag thru the opposite side of the hip into the jack, that isn't much. I'd like to hear what the engineer comes up with.

surfsupinhawaii

Thanks a lot Don for the suggestions and the help. I really like the idea about the jack rafters to the hip. My Engineer is a really nice guy, but does not have too many ideas for  some of the things I have had to do. I usually get an idea or come here or read books and then draw something up and show him. I will think about what you said and draw something. Thanks a lot, great idea and that's why I came here for a new Idea! :)

Thank You Sponsors!