iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood-Mizer/Cooks

Started by LPitt, March 27, 2011, 06:03:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LPitt

I know there are a lot of Wood-Mizer owners on the forum, but how does everyone think the Cooks HD3655 compares?
Linn Lumber 1900 hyd, Bobcat T190 with grapple ect., Kubota MX 5100, Ford 555E backhoe, Sthil ms460, home made wood splitter, and more projects than I can count.

Magicman

There are also a lot of Cooks owners.  It's really a buyer's choice.  Look at the options, service, simplicity, set up, etc.  To make a real comparison, you would need to actually operate each, or at least see both in operation.  It may be hard to get an unbiased opinion.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

Are you asking because you are trying to decide what to buy?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

ladylake

i watched a Cooks vid on youtube, looks like a well built mill.    Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

tyb525

It's almost gotten to a Ford/Chevy debate, so it's really personal choice. Research them both, run them if you can, and decide what you like best.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

smwwoody

They are both great mills with great support and great customer service.  What size WM are you comparing it to? 

Woody
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

LPitt

I thought it was probably a ford/chevy type of thing. To me they both look like very good mills. I've got a stationary mill now and have been thinking of selling and getting a mobile mill. It will have to be hyd (to many miles behind me to go manual). Right now i'm still working but in the not to far future i'll be retired and need something to do. The only thing about the Wood-Mizer that bothers me is the single post. I've never heard of it being an issue. It just seems to me like it would have to move while sawing. If i'm wrong it sure wouldn't be the first time.   
Linn Lumber 1900 hyd, Bobcat T190 with grapple ect., Kubota MX 5100, Ford 555E backhoe, Sthil ms460, home made wood splitter, and more projects than I can count.

LPitt

smwwoody...   I have been looking at the LT50HD with a diesel if I can swing it or the Cooks HD3655.

LPitt

Chris Burchfield

Yea, it's like Ford, GM or Dodge.  Whatever one sells as the better mouse trap, the seller will tell you flaws of that other product and the plus associated with their own.  I saw purpose of the cantilever design on given logs that would cause problems for a four post head.  I've had no problem with the cantilever design and it is very ridged.  My mill has the 51hp cat/perkins I purchased as choice.  The price of diesel is up and I have no regrets over the engine I chose.  As stated above, run one of each.  It will be well worth your piece of mind.  Good luck.
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

Slingshot

Woodmizer isn't the only cantilevered mill. Saw this one on You-tube:
Has a vertical shaft engine. Seems to be all hydraulic controlled.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JsLDpzRP2Ek&feature=related

Brucer

Quote from: LPitt on March 27, 2011, 07:21:46 PM
... The only thing about the Wood-Mizer that bothers me is the single post. I've never heard of it being an issue. It just seems to me like it would have to move while sawing. ...

It won't.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

backwoods sawyer

I bought a well used Woodmizer LT-70 and later bought a Cooks AC-3662 as a second mill, it was also used and in sad shape. Both have chain log turners rather then the claw style. The big difference that I found is the Woodmizer handles the large logs with a lot more ease then the Cooks mill, and on the Woodmizer I can push the over sized logs up to about 42" with minimal chainsaw work. With the Cooks mill a 38" log can be a fight. Both mills will feed an edger with ease, but if you are not running the edger, it is much easier to edge on the Woodmizer then the Cook's mill since they clamp to opposite sides of the mill frame.
The Cooks mill is not as gentle on the wood and has a tendency tear the wood, however the double clamp dose hold the wood in place better then the single clamp on the Woodmizer, which is a big plus.
I tackle over sized logs on a regular basis, so I am selling the Cooks mill this week to a local tree service.
I also have both a Woodmizer and a Cooks sharpening system. The Cooks is a much heavier duty system then the Woodmizer system that I have and is the one I prefer to use.
Find one of each that you can see run and spend some time watching both, as they are two different rigs, and they do handle differently and are not quite as closely related as Ford and Chevy are :o
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

ladylake

I wonder why Cooks has the clamp and stops set up like that, my B20 is the other way. Logs load on one side lumber comes off the other side with no reaching.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

petefrom bearswamp

I'm sure both mills are good machines.
I am partial to Woodmizer, on my 3rd one.
Present mill LT40SHDD51 cat/Perkins.
The only problem I can see and it is a possibility not a probability is with the 51 HP diesel.
My friend and neighbor who saws a lot, has an LT 50 cat/Perkins and has had some minor problems, I have had none so far but only 350 hrs on mine
When I look on a certain used sawmill site I see quite a few mills with lots of hrs on the mill, but very few (comparatively) on a newer engine.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

kelLOGg

Quote from: ladylake on March 28, 2011, 06:22:26 AM
I wonder why Cooks has the clamp and stops set up like that, my B20 is the other way. Logs load on one side lumber comes off the other side with no reaching.  Steve

I think it is so that after one 90 degree turn you are cutting into a fresh face?
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

rbarshaw

Quote from: kelLOGg on March 28, 2011, 05:03:10 PM
Quote from: ladylake on March 28, 2011, 06:22:26 AM

I think it is so that after one 90 degree turn you are cutting into a fresh face?

I designed my first mill that way, it should extend blade life to not cut into bark as much as possible.
Been doing so much with so little for so long I can now do anything with nothing, except help from y'all!
By the way rbarshaw is short for Robert Barshaw.
My Second Mill Is Shopbuilt 64HP,37" wheels, still a work in progress.

ladylake

That makes sence but I'd take  easyier off loading and edging.  I rotate 180* 90% of the time so I would only be gaining on 1 side of a cant.   Steve

Banjo picker

The only thing that gets taken off the side is product to be edged...everything else gets the drag back arms and onto the roller tables...

You may not be able to tell from this photo, but there is a large roller at the end of the mill , the drag back arms get it to the roller and its free saling on the rest of the way...slabs go on that first rack there are two more for product...Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Handy Andy

I have the Cook MP 32, manual, and large logs are tough.  Especially if they have bumps, which on logs that are at the limit of size, have to be cut off if the carriage hits on them. I like to turn them up on the first cut and let the mill cut them off, but lots of my big logs have bumps on more than one side.  A 4 post has to straddle the log. And the cantilever can sometimes slide by and cut the bumps off on the top side of the log as you turn it.  That's the only advantage of the cantilever mill I can see.  My cook mill is built heavy, simple, and very trouble free.
My name's Jim, I like wood.

Thank You Sponsors!