Started by woodmills1, November 07, 2011, 08:20:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodmills1

from now on

Woodmills will in fact charge $34 per nail hit

no longer one blade free

just so you know a change in long term policy will now be in effect

the amount of metal contacted by 7 degree $34 blades has brought this change

thank you for you repeated business but we need, though regret this change in billing
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Dan_Shade

are blades really $34 now?

I only give a freebe on a small job.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

red

thats what it costs after no electric for a week
Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

Bodger

If you don't charge for blades it takes away the customers incentive to look for nails.
Work's fine for killing time but it's a shaky way to make a living.

Chuck White

I charge $5.00 for a nail hit!

Most don't do a lot of damage, so it's just an early resharp.

If I ruin a blade in a customers log, it's $25.00!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

T Welsh

I charge $30. regardless! they dont need to know that usually all it takes is a $7.50 sharpening. This is one of the first things I tell customers when I am cutting, I have even given a blade to a guy to hang on his garage wall because of a drywall screw. Tim

tcsmpsi

Even though a blade might be a matter of a 'small resharp' to bring it back after hitting objects in the wood, what of the time and energy involved from the time the blade hits, until that blade is sawing again?  Or, even until a new blade is sawing again?  And, the time to remove/find the object(s), cut around them, or discard the log?  How much more cutting could one have done with that blade as the set up was going?
As a mill operator/owner, what would one consider a fair hourly wage for their service?  Every aspect of operation has risen and continues to rise in cost, and certainly shows no reprieve in that regard.  Qute the contrary.   Whether we like it/agree with it, or not.
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Magicman

A flat $25 per nail hit.  That covers sharpening and my down time changing the blade.

I normally let the customer dig the offending nail out.  When he misses seeing that second nail, it's another $25.   :-\
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

zopi

It may seem a little inequitable, but there is overhead in blade maintenance...time and equipment, shipping to amd from...think of it as factoring in equipment replacement cost in charging for equipment use on the job...some jobs get a litlle slack and some jobs catch it...
Smart thing to do is to put a clause in the policy that it is the sawyers judgement as to whether to charge for the blade...one tooth jacked up is not a big deal especially in a blade nearing the end of its life, however...hitting a ceramic insulator with a brand new blade...yeah...not gonna eat that one.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Bodger

I very seldom try and resharpen a nail damaged blade.  They always seem to develop a 'hop'.  I will, however, leave the blade on (if it'll cut) to finish knocking off the bark just in case there is another nail hidden in there somewhere. 
Work's fine for killing time but it's a shaky way to make a living.

woodmills1

no blade that hit ever comes back to normal

my change is for customer logs, for my own I eat the blades as a cost of doing

have heard so many times

O no metal here, then zip

done deal
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Thank You Sponsors!