iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

another idea that I will never follow through with.

Started by hackberry jake, January 20, 2012, 01:53:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hackberry jake

I have a very good friend that is a logger. He says he culls a lot of logs because thay are crooked. I was thinking about getting a lumbersmith type setup and milling banana logs for benches or live edge archs etc. Just put the log on a concrete pad, secure it, and push the saw around its curve. Just a thought. Like the topic says, I'll probably never follow through on half my wacky ideas. Maybe one day when I get a slabber I'll be able to use the crooked fellars  ;D
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

terrifictimbersllc

Once milled a crooked log, 45 degree bend, guys wanted it for boat knees, by letting it pivot as I sawed through it slowly.  Started with one leg facing the blade straight, then as the blade went through it brought the other end around.  Didn't really have a plan at the beginning thought i would reposition it in the cut  but it did it all by itself.  Think I had a 2x3 on the left side. The first cut was so good I just flipped it over and end for end and with the flat down it was no problem.   Probably couldn't do it again if I wanted to.  Sometimes I look at a log and tell the customer I'm not a magician but that day I was feeling quite light headed
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

morgoon

I see all kinds of interesting trees that would make great benches and tables

I saved the "y" trunk of a birch cause I thought it would saw into the neatest end table, and last year a saved a huge slab of poplar that had insect damage/trails in it for a bench, that would get that heavy resin bar top finish on it.

I like the title of this thread...I will get around to it... I think :)

I think we are always looking for another way to be creative and make money too :)
Homemade bandsaw, made by my mentor and dear friend Unto...who turned 85 this year

And I just made my first longbow...awesome

hackberry jake

Any other wacky ideas are welcome on this thread as well. I have also daydreamed of rigging up a vehicle that is extra wide with plenty of ground clearance for salvaging trees that wash down the river. Wait til summer time when the creek is low and drive down cutting logs out of trees and hauling them home. The best walnut tree I've ever cut came from the creek (who knows whos land it came from). Wonder who actually owns those washouts?
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

jueston

Quote from: hackberry jake on January 20, 2012, 04:47:26 PM
Wonder who actually owns those washouts?

well i am no legal expert, but i think if we refer to the case of Finders Vs. Keepers, we can find the answer.... :D :D :D :D

but now a days everything is owned by someone, and if there is any money it, someone will prolly sue you....

Don_Papenburg

I would think that if you were willing to remove it from the creek the land owner would be greatful as long as you did not get hurt and sue him.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Hilltop366

Quote from: hackberry jake on January 20, 2012, 01:53:13 PM
I have a very good friend that is a logger. He says he culls a lot of logs because thay are crooked. I was thinking about getting a lumbersmith type setup and milling banana logs for benches or live edge archs etc. Just put the log on a concrete pad, secure it, and push the saw around its curve. Just a thought. Like the topic says, I'll probably never follow through on half my wacky ideas. Maybe one day when I get a slabber I'll be able to use the crooked fellars  ;D

Wondering how hard is it to remove the saw from the rails on the mill you have now, if you don't want to run your rollers on the floor you could get some larger wheels and rig them up to bolt on so they are lower than the rollers.

just an idea to stir the pot.

Paul_H

Jake,this is a old pic but it's a beam we cut 10 years ago with a Mobile Dimension 127 and a alaskan mill.The beam is 16' across and 13" thick.It was milled on 3 sides and the other side was left live. It was eventually sold for a bench on a large deck on a custom home.Somebody else got the heavy slab but can't remember where it went.

Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Thank You Sponsors!