iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

TK 1220 towing package tire size

Started by Gary_B, January 26, 2009, 08:21:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gary_B

I am in the process of making my 1220 mill mobile, and was wondering what sizes of tires do they use with the factory towing package? And has anyone made up there own axles and tongues?
                   Thanks
                  Gary

sawmilllawyer

Can not help you with the tire size but have built a number of trailers from scratch. Usually use either 2" x 3" or 3" x3" square tubing for the tongue anywhere from 1/8th to 3/16 thick. Since the mill should'nt weigh that much. Also check out the removeable torsion axles under the Norwood mill. I think they side into a 4"x4" square tube and then are cross pinned. Neat set up. Have seen torsion axles for sale in northern toolhttps://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?action=position"> Note:Please read the Forestry Forum's postion on this company catalog but they have plates welded to them. Hopefully, some more experienced and informative members will show up and enlighten us.
Stihl MS-361, MS-460 mag, Poulan 2150, 2375 Wildthing.

Piston

According to the (one year old) price list I have from Timberking they use 12" highway tires in their transport package for the 1220.  How do you like your 1220? 
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

kelLOGg

When I tow my mill over wet terrain the tires will sink in ruts because they are narrow passenger tires. Under the same conditions my truck does fine because the tires are wide. A week ago on my own property I had to use both truck and tractor to pull the mill out. Now I'm looking at replacing the mill tires. Just something to consider.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Gary_B

I really appreciate all the input, Ive been looking around lately for a boat trailer or a small flatbed style trailer, something I can remove the axle and springs, tongue, and buy the pieces of channel I need to complete the job. I looked at pictures and diagrams of the 1220 tow package and it would be really simple to make one up, the main thing is being able to locate the springs on the axle at the correct location on the frame of the mill, without having to cut the axle tubing and welding it back with a splice. and the tongue is prettty easy to install. I just wasnt sure of the tire size, they use, so the jacks would be able to reach enough height to pull axle assembly out.
    As far as the mill I bought it new about 4 years ago, when it was delivered a TK rep. set the mill up for me, we sawed a 24 inch log, then he turned it over to me, to do the same. I cannot say enough about the TK support, anytime I have had a question, they have been there with a answer. I dont saw for a living just for my own projects, but with the economy, and possible job lost, I am looking at all options, one of the main reasons I am trying to make my mill mobile, just to help out living on unemployment and getting by.
      Gary

SamB

Gary, why not let people bring their logs to you or get a trailer to haul logs to the mill. I'm afraid trying to make the TK1220 a mobile mill is going to cause you a lot of frustration and don't think you can be efficient enough with it to make any profit. I have a TK1220 that I've moved three times and I won't move it again unless I sell it. Now if you're going to saw thousands of board feet at a site maybe you can make it work. IMO I'd go after the niche market of the guy who has a few logs to be sawed and can bring them to you. Or get a trailer that can haul a few logs, offer to pick up the logs and deliver the finished product. Do it all on an hourly basis.
Oh, I'm not at all dissatisfied with my TK1220, it serves my needs very well, but if I was going to go into the mobile sawmill business I'd get a different mill. :)

Gary_B

Well Sam you have some good points, I know I could not make a living with a 1220 mill in the area I live. I was thinking more on the lines of extra cash, Id like to be able to pull my mill out of the mill shed and bring it up to my garage and do maintance work, adjustments, seems like it would make the slight up keep abit easier. And at the same time most people I know that have a few logs to saw, dont have any means of loading and delivering the logs, and if I could just pull the 1220 up to the log pile and start sawing, Id have less time spent loading and unloading logs. Theres different times Ive had logs given to me and it would have been easier to just saw them there and load the lumber into the truck.  I figure I will be able to build the towing package for around 350.00 and that would be for new axle, springs, fenders, steel channel. Do you still have the towing package for your mill? If so are you interested in selling?

SamB

Gary, I did not get the towing package, my moves have all been disassembly/reassembly. The comments about the frustration of operating a TK1220 mobile were mostly based on a thread in different web site. Although I do have some experience in moving the mill and setting it up to saw.  ;D
As for moving logs I hear what you're saying that can present a problem. I guess I'm forgetting that I'm using a tractor to handle the logs on my end. Good Luck with your project. :)

Thank You Sponsors!