iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

winch controller issue

Started by treefarmer rick, January 05, 2013, 01:44:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

treefarmer rick

hello I recently rebuilt my controller (it is for a gearmatic 19 ) and bled it out but still have a problem. When I release the winch it goes to over center like it is supposed to. Now the problem is I can only do this 3 or 4 times before it gets really "hard" to a point that I cannot overcenter the controller.I have taken all the bands out made sure everything is free. Im overlooking something and that were I am stumped. Was wondering if anyone here has ran into this before. thank you for any input.

lumberjack48

Have you bled the slave cylinder on the winch ? Sounds like a air issue
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

treefarmer rick

yes Iam pretty sure we have gotten all the air out it is running clear. we have probably close to1/2 a gallon of break fluid thru . the bands are opening the winch is releasing just cant get it to over center after 3-4 times,unless you crack the line.

lumberjack48

Try it real easy with the cover off the controller. the vent might be plugged 
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

loggah

If you cant move it at all you are trying to compress fluid.Sounds to me like all the fluid is not returning into the master cylinder,each time you pump it it leaves just a bit more fluid in the slave cylinder. you are probably bottoming the rod on the spring so it wont go over center. when you winch the first time and you pull the lever up to stop freespooling hold the lever up just a bit not far enough to winch just enough let all the brake fluid return to the controller and see if this helps. Don
Interests: Lombard Log Haulers,Tucker Sno-Cats, Circular Sawmills, Shingle Mills, Maple Syrup Making, Early Construction Equipment, Logging Memorabilia, and Antique Firearms

John Woodworth

Check that you didn't put the pistons in the wrong ends, the one with the hole in the center go's to the brake, the solid piston goes to the clutches(bands) also the short piston shaft to clutches,long to brake.
Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

Ed_K

If the rods were switched, you may have the replace the housing.been there.
Ed K

treefarmer rick

thanks for the info. last night I pulled the "piston/cylinder" out of the top of the winch for the 4th time ,took it apart again  and upon close inspection I discovered a hair line crack in the aluminum "puck" that goes against tha push rod that realeases the brake. Replaced it and so far it is working a ok. must have been binding under a load? well see. thank you.

Thank You Sponsors!