iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A case for old Vintage Homie & Mac saws vs. new home owner grade saws..

Started by weimedog, November 16, 2013, 07:08:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

weimedog

Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

sawguy21

I enjoyed that, a good day in the woods. In all fairness to the Poulan, it was at a considerable disadvantage due to power and chain restraints but is very typical of the average consumer purchase. I currently have three saws, two Homelites and a Husky, with a total investment of $75. Just need a fireplace so I have an excuse to fire them up, neighbours here would complain.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

weimedog

Thanks for watching and the comment....of course that's the point.. :) It is about the bang per buck assuming the skills are there... 8)
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

mmartone

Cool video, I'm still looking for a big old saw but how about some safety glasses please
Remember, I only know what you guys teach me. Lt40 Manual 22hp KAwaSaki, Husky3120 60", 56" Panther CSM, 372xp, 345xp, Stihl 041, 031, blue homelite, poulans, 340

msjdgman

New guy here...thanks for the vid with the old saws.  That was cool.  I`m just starting a project using 2 JD 80EV`s to hopefully have one good runner when I get done. 
Stihl MS250, MS290, MS391
JD 80EV

AdkStihl

That awesome. Looks like you and Spike had a good time. I wish I coulda seen that root ball flop!!
Next time bring extra batteries  :D
J.Miller Photography

Al_Smith

Nice job Walter .Those old classics came from a bygone era when things were built to last almost forever .Perhaps a time that will never again be repeated .

Those old saws aren't for everyone but they bring delight to a few of us I'm sure, myself included . ;D

beenthere

Thought maybe I'd see an old Homelite EZ-6 showing up at that sugar shack. Recall those days, and thought it was a pretty good saw at the time. Then the EZ auto and super EZ auto showed up. Macs too, but never ran a Mac much myself.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Al_Smith

Oh some of them are boat anchors but then again they came from an era of a lot of boat anchors . Later maybe mid 60's there were some that can hold their own with a modern chainsaw .

Unfortunatly poor old Poulan takes the rap for inexpensive under powered saws .At one time they had some very powerfull pro models that can still be impressive .Most people have never seen them .

Al_Smith

McCulloch and Homelite were once the leaders in the better grade of saws .Their demise can about be parrelled to the US auto industry with comparrison to Honda and Toyota .

Mac and Homie died on the vine simpley because they did not  modernize their designs until it was basically too late .They became complacent ,too comforatable because of the past of being top dogs .

On that though they themselves made some less than desirable saws .

It's a history lesson in a way of how things can go awry .If you don't mind the store in enough time you won't have a store to mind .

Ianab

Those old brand names where just bought up to be able to put a "label" on some cheap mass produced saw. A bit like Black and Decker tools. I have an old (~50 year?) B&D electric drill, made in England. Weighs a ton. Has an 18" bar out the side side so you can hold on to it and not have it twist out of your hands. It's a 2 hand drill anyway, or it mounts in it's own drill press.  Compare that to any modern B&D branded tool, and they are junk. It's the equivalent of those old saws, weighs a ton, no soft starts etc. But if you need to drill a 1/2" hole in a piece of steel, it will do it.

Ian

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Bret4207

To me, if you know how to fix them and your body will take it there's nothing wrong with old quality. New to me is 1980's anyway. I've got a Mac 1-50 that's as old as me that is still a runner. But then I'm still farming with tractors older than me too! My body is just not up to lugging those old heavy saws uphill all day anymore though.

HolmenTree

Quote from: Al_Smith on November 17, 2013, 04:08:47 AM
Unfortunatly poor old Poulan takes the rap for inexpensive under powered saws .At one time they had some very powerfull pro models that can still be impressive .Most people have never seen them .
It wasn't all that long ago when Poulan had a good lineup with the 8500 leading the pack. Mid 1980's before Electrolux bought out the company around 1987, Poulan was one of the last of the 100% North American product when they merged with Weed Eater.
My brother has a 8500 which will still put a smile on anyones face.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Al_Smith

Poulan did have some pretty good saws at one time .For example the S-25 series .

bandmiller2

Very good video,with much truth.I run mostly old saws two of my favorites are 031,and 041 Stihl.Also a Sacks Dolmar that is one fine saw.Never put down old men and old machines they put out.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

HolmenTree

Walter and Bob, that was a real nice visit with you two "in person" for the first time and the excellent demo you put on there.

The video makes the distance between Manitoba and New York State a whole lot shorter...... :)
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

mad murdock

I second that! Thanks for putting up this video and comparison.  It is a no brainer for me.  I have a newer Husky 372 XPW (bought new in 2005), but I prefer the older saws, as they dont hardly weigh any more than the newer pro saws of similar displacement, and they are real go getters.  I think my Promac 700 is pound for pound the same as the husky, except it has better balance, and it has more grunt than the Husky in big wood. Not many saws make a sweeter note than a 10-series Mac, IMO.  Poulan had some very nice saws in their day, as did Pioneer.  Always good to see old iron brought back to service and put to good use!  I have several 10-10's the PM700 and I recently came across an SP81E.  Cant wait to get that thing going!  the 82cc 10 series were some great saws.  If i have a particularly large job I do keep the 075 at the ready for when the occasion requires :)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

67L36Driver

And, you can amass a sinfully large collection for cheap.

About half shown. ::)
Over 40 old magnesium runners.  Plei Trapp Valley Duck!!! Club.

Spike60

Yeah, they do have an angry snarl to them.  :) You're right about the weight. Most folks equate old with heavy, but that's not the case with these saws. That ProMac 60 I was running was light and hooked up pretty good. A run off against a Husky 555 would be interesting.

The 82cc saws in this family are a favorite of mine. I've had a PM850 for several years, and just yesterday scored a PM800 in great shape. 24", full wrap and it's a fairly light and well balanced package.

Quote from: mad murdock on November 22, 2013, 02:56:42 PMNot many saws make a sweeter note than a 10-series Mac, IMO.  Poulan had some very nice saws in their day, as did Pioneer.  Always good to see old iron brought back to service and put to good use!  I have several 10-10's the PM700 and I recently came across an SP81E.  Cant wait to get that thing going!  the 82cc 10 series were some great saws.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

The Ripper

Quote from: 67L36Driver on November 23, 2013, 09:33:20 PM
And, you can amass a sinfully large collection for cheap.

About half shown. ::)

What Poulan model  is that? Love a good sounding Poulan ripping wood.They have a distinct exhaust pulse like Mopars. ;D

sawguy21

Therein lies the beauty in collecting old saws. It is an inexpensive hobby and gives us hours of pleasure tinkerin' and talkin'. ;D Some guys have ridiculous ideas of what their vintage cream puff is worth but with so many out there we can afford to be choosy. I like your Pioneers, particularly the 1074 (or is it a P-26).
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

67L36Driver

Quote from: The Ripper on November 24, 2013, 11:34:27 AM

What Poulan model  is that? Love a good sounding Poulan ripping wood.They have a distinct exhaust pulse like Mopars. ;D

Poulan 220, Craftsman 3.7/306A, and a 361.  Heavily outnumbered by the Pioneers. P-40, P-41, P-21, 1110 and 1200.

Skillsaw 1645/Power Machinery 340 is hard to see in the back.
Over 40 old magnesium runners.  Plei Trapp Valley Duck!!! Club.

Bret4207

The one place the new saws really shine is in AV reduction. My old 7-10 is a bear, so is my 250, 300 and 1-50, but man oh man! I don't think anything has that 7-10 beat as far as giving you "cutters curl"! I often wonder how much of my arthritis is connected to old saws. The weight I can take, the noise too, but the vibration is a killer.

Thank You Sponsors!