iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need a farm saw

Started by fball1208, March 17, 2021, 11:24:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

samandothers

Lots of opinions on saws!  I too have one.  I have 2 Echo to saws as well as trimmer/ pole saw.  The never been an issue with starting and cut great.  I would suggest the Echo 590 too. The 400 is a nice saw but maybe be a bit smaller than you want, good 'second' saw. 

ladylake

Quote from: Spike60 on March 19, 2021, 08:53:38 AM
Quote from: ladylake on March 19, 2021, 08:23:25 AM
Quote from: Tacotodd on March 19, 2021, 08:16:35 AM
The only BIG problems (if you want to call them that) is they aren't noticeably as fast (unless side by side) and they are a little heavier than a like sized displacement of saw. But the price seems to overshadow that fact for everyone but a professional that is doing it for production #'s.
The Cs590 will be faster than farm and ranch saws from Husky and Stihl,  really close to their pro saws when tuned right.   Steve
And this claim is based on what?
Here's a vid. Plus running them    Steve
  Comparison of the Echo CS-590 Timberwolf, Stihl MS 271 Farm Boss and the Husqvarna 455 Rancher. - YouTube
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

hedgerow

I pickup a 261 late summer early fall and it has become my go to saw on the farm and the 461 sets in the trailer a lot more now days. The 261 is going to be a little more than your five hundred budget close to six. I would buy another one.  Echo does make good saws and I do have a smaller one I use in my bucket trailer. 

btulloh

Lot's of good suggestions, but as usual no consensus.  That's because all the saws mentioned will do a good job for the OP.  So that's a good thing.  I'd choose based on having a good servicing dealer close by.  Take care of the saw, don't leave gas in it (use some of the canned super gas or non-ethanol with stabilizer), and keep the chain sharp and in good shape.

I do think a pro-saw is better when the budget allows.  They've got better power/weight, better balance, and are made to be maintainable.  Stihl 261cm or the Husky XP 50cc saw are pro saws.  The Stihl 291 is the farm/ranch equivalent of the 261cm and also does well for it's owners.  Just a bit heavier, balance not as good, etc. but still quite good.  Same with the Husky equivalent. I'm not personally familiar with the Echo saws, but everybody says they are really good and a good value.  So it all comes back to budget, and more importantly - having a good dealer close by.

Good luck with your choice.  I use a ms170 for limbing and light chores and it's pretty amazing for what it is, but you'll really appreciate what one of these good 50cc saws will do for you.  
HM126

weimedog

The problem with video's is u can make any point you want. Best is to see things in person. AND that will also help u pick a dealer. If having a dealer doesn't matter to u? Well then there is Tractor supply company. :) AND a Husqvarna 460 runs quite a bit stronger than a 455. Why I mentioned those over the 455. But in reality all those saw would work. We don't have an echo dealer here that actually stocks parts and saws.....and I have looked. The Stihl brand has three dealers that do. Husqvarna as two dealers and then the box stores. So because of the support in my area Echo isn't even a factor. And both Stihl & Husqvarna are good saws. 
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

trapper

I have had 3 echo saws a 310 which i just sold and replaced it with a 3510  and in the past had a cs620 , which I lost off the back of my truck and  never found.  They all started and ran very good for me.  In sept if  they have the logging congress in michigan I plan to buy a 590.  they normally have a very good price on them there.  First I will ask my local dealer for his best price and at the logging congress they will have to beat him by a good amount to buy it there.   
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Eng208

Just my two cents, I cut for a small business clearing and grading. My tools consist of an old Husky 36 for limbing, Stihl 251, and an Echo CS 590. I had a Stihl 034av but lost crank and bearing. Never could get it running right again. I bought the Echo because I needed a saw in a hurry and it was available. Best decision I made for a saw. All of mine have been tuned and have a muffler mod but nothing else. They all run great. The Echo really runs well in big wood. 

fball1208

Im heading to the local dealer in the am when i get off work to check them out. Ill see what happens but have a feeling the Echo maybe coming home with me. 

Spike60

I had seen that vid Steve. That 455 needs the vaccine or something; should have shown better. And a 460 will run right with a 590. (I've compared them myself).

Honestly though, I pretty much agree with the argumant that Echos are well built saws that not enough people pay attention to. A little lacking on the pro side, but in the segment being discussed in this thread they should sell as good as the big boys. For the farm/ranch/firewood market you can get a pro-construction saw at a homeowner price. They are particularly strong in the small saw segment. (much of that coming from the Shindaiwa merger) One problem though is the apparent advantage of their pro construction is kind of overstated for this segment because the plastic/clamshell saws hardly ever fail in that world. The 455/460 just about never brake. And whether Husky or Stihl, failures due to that plastic/clamshell design are rarely seen by anyone. And the cylinders do come off BTW.

Echo also has an advantage in top handle saws that I tried to exploit myself. Yes, I tried to sign up with Echo a couple years ago. Wanted the toppers and small cc rear handle saws. Wouldn't have gone bigger than the 590, but could certainly have sold some trimmers and blowers as well. But then we get to Walt's point of why there are no Echo dealers in most markets. The distributor, who we also avg $450,000 a year in with Exmark had a little too much to say about how our showroom had to look. Wanted more feet than we had left of wall space. Insisted that we buy their 4ft display sections which is impossible due to concrete pillars on the walls. Micro-managing the inventory to the point of counting things like trimmer heads. So, we just laughed and said forget it. And there's not another Echo dealer within 40 miles.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Tacotodd

@Spike60 it kinda makes you long for the days of garage dealerships in a way.
Trying harder everyday.

Magicman

Regardless of the brands, I wonder how a meaningful comparison video can be made between advertised; 59.8cc, 55.5cc, and 50.2cc saws?  smiley_headscratch
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

DHansen

Brand selection can get you only so far.  Some users are more the type that want all the equipment with the same brand.  To me it is model selection that is most important.  There are gems in Stihl, Husqvarna and Echo.  There are good features and bad ones.  I know what I like in a saw and I know what I dislike.  My new Echo 6 months and 12 tanks of fuel is a well though out saw.  Lots of plastic, but it is holding up well.  There are good recommendations in the posts above.  I have a 550xp Mark II and that would be a great fit for your needs.  The Stihl 261 seems to be another great option, but I have never owned one.  

weimedog

ditto what spike said, we have a dealer. Has no stock either in parts or saws. He told ma "If people want one bad enough, I'll order one" perfect. Same for parts as well. And for those comparison video's. I don't get into that because it's just too much weight on a spot performance to really mean anything real. I've had two 455's over the years, and never saw a Husqvarna "255"...which is your first clue how that was going. And the wood , bar & chain & operator all those things can make a big swing in the results that are somehow supposed to be deal makers and breakers. I don't go there and sort of wish instead of these cookie things a "life with a saw" type video was the priority for those trying to inform. BUT folks want simple answers and numbers. So that's what you get on YouTube to satisfy that demand. AND there is No risk to the YouTube because no matter which of those saws a person "pitches" and some one bites...it's going to do a good job. I have no doubt Echo makes a good saw, but so does Stihl and Husqvarna. I honestly have never seen one made in this decade in my area. Point? Dealer. That should be a major consideration. Support , parts, actual knowledge of the saw should you have questions.
Husqvarna 365sp/372xpw Blend, Jonsered 2171 51.4mm XPW build,562xp HTSS, 560 HTSS, 272XP, 61/272XP, 555, 257, 242, 238, Homelite S-XL 925, XP-1020A, Super XL (Dad's saw); Jonsered 2094, Three 920's, CS-2172, Solo 603; 3 Huztl MS660's (2 54mm and 1 56mm)

Old Greenhorn

I have a 450 Husky, which I bought new from @Spike60 about 5 years ago (that reminds me, I need to bring it back for a quick tune after 4 or 5 tanks ;D, is it too late for that?) Anyway, I love the thing except that I have never been able to tweak the carb just right because I suck at it. I am currently running a 20" bar on it but will likely got back to the 18" soon. It is, IMHO, the perfect firewood saw for me. No issues at all. Keep it fairly clean, replace the air filter once in a while and run a ton of wood under it. I also have a 372(clone) I use for the occasional big stuff, it doesn't get much use and is fine for me.
 I did work on a 455 that came out of a box store. The first owner tossed it in a dumpster, said it never ran right, the second owner took it and 'fixed it' but had all kinds of carb problems with it racing then not holding full rpm, etc. After he messed with it, replaced the carb and was ready to toss it, I took it and found the problem was no tension on one of the carb screws allowing the screw to dance in and out. Also found other small issues and fixed those. He has been running ever since with no issues. What I learned though is that the 455 out of a box store seems a whole lot different  than one coming through a dealer. One of the reason's I don't know Spike that well is because I have had zero issues with this saw that aren't simple routine fixes. Now my son on the other hand is in Spike's shop routinely for all his lawn equipment that gets run like crazy. :D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

fball1208

Well the Echo made it home with me. Great saw so far runs great cuts great. Dealer was knowledgeable about it and had parts in stock. Ran two tanks through it and did not skip a beat. I'll try and post picture of it and the log I was cutting up. 

Spike60

Well, I suppose for FF members the free tach check can be extended til whenever. Come on in. Call ahead cause we're in and out all the time. I don't know if Peter brought all his stuff in yet or not. Place is jammed already.

Those 450's don't like to run fat. A little too rich and there's a miss that almost sounds like it's the ignition. The 455 problem wasn't because it came from a box "store", just that it came out of the box. They really don't run well without being adjusted. I wonder if that floating adjustment needle got wrecked from someone trying to adjust it with the wrong tool?
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Spike60 on March 20, 2021, 09:03:56 PM
Well, I suppose for FF members the free tach check can be extended til whenever. Come on in. Call ahead cause we're in and out all the time. I don't know if Peter brought all his stuff in yet or not. Place is jammed already.

Those 450's don't like to run fat. A little too rich and there's a miss that almost sounds like it's the ignition. The 455 problem wasn't because it came from a box "store", just that it came out of the box. They really don't run well without being adjusted. I wonder if that floating adjustment needle got wrecked from someone trying to adjust it with the wrong tool?
Ah you figured me out. I don't know where Pete's gear stands, he may have brought it in the end of last season for all I know, it's his business not mine. ;D I just co-signed the loan.
 As far as that 455 goes, who knows. A pair of weekend warriors working on it. I kept hearing the Monday morning complaints in the shop and for two months and just said, "well when you get tired of messing with it, I'll take a look at it for ya". They put an AM carb on it, did some other 'stuff' then were ready to put it back in the dumpster before they gave it to me for a laugh. I had it for 2 weeks before I threw it up on the bench one Sunday. Found the 'floating' tension spring, found another in the junk drawer that made tight, adjusted it, ran it for a bit, did some cuts. Tired it again cold the next morning then brought it back in and gave it back. after 6 months they still had no complaints is all I know. I think I put 15 minutes in it all told. figured there was more to it, but no, that was it. Moving on.
 On my 450 I have a bad habit of not running it WOT, the problem is it cuts so good even at lower rpm's. On full wood just bucking it cuts like a dream with a good chain, and I keep my chin good. Love seeing those chips come out in a stream and pile up. ;D (My neighbor has a Stihl I call the 'dust buster' he thinks it's a compliment. :D ;D I asked him once if he ever sharpened it, he asked if he needed to do that more than once a year? Yeah, seriously. I walked away.)
 Yeah, I should get me a tach. I have no ears anymore, never really did. My Dad did, but I didn't inherit them. I always used his and he is gone 6 years now. I'm lost. Getting busy now. I have a tree job tomorrow and 2 consults on Monday. Folks are talking about spending their stimulus money now and slowly even a little guy like me is getting calls.  :)
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

Spike60

Geez, if it's runnijg that good we shouldn't mess with it too much. But would still be curious to see where it tachs out.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Old Greenhorn

The only issue I have is when I bury it in a decent log, then it seems to like 'hunt' and goes up and down, never could figure that out or how to adjust it while it is buried in a full log. ;D

Thank You Sponsors!