iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

MS193 won't rev, drooling gas when running

Started by sprucebunny, March 09, 2021, 06:21:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sprucebunny

It sat several months and now it doesn't want to play.

What should I look at first ?

Thanks
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

donbj

Probably needs a carb clean. Needle valve not seating properly and flooding is a possibility
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

sprucebunny

Thanks. I'll try that.

I use no ethanol premium gas and the Stihl Ultra oil ... I was relly hoping my chainsaw gas problems were over.

donbj

I run premium non ethanol too and always put seafoam in as well. It works well for me. I try to fire my saws up fairly regular as well and not let sit for months if I can help it. 

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

DHansen

Is it safe to add seafoam to the fuel on a 2 stroke?

Tacotodd

Not in place of regular saw oil. I would think that a SMALL amount, like 200-1, should be OK. Such a small amount shouldn't even require a "re-tune" of the saw. 

Well, maybe a tiny amount. But not much.
Trying harder everyday.

DHansen

I like Seafoam and it is a good product.  But it is a cleaning solvent and contains isopropanol.  So it is counteractive to the oil mixed with the fuel.  I could see a small amount not harming the engine.  But a steady diet? 

Tacotodd

Not steady, only occasionally. Otherwise, you'll be running ethanol fuel and it's related problems. Run it completely out of fuel when you're done with it . Otherwise, well, you've been here before ....
Trying harder everyday.

DHansen

I believe Seafoam has 14% Isopropanol.  So it comes down to how much you add to each gallon of fuel.  But it defeats the purpose of buying Non-ethanol blended fuels.  The Naphtha in the mix would be counteractive to the oil in the mix.    I could see running Seafoam in a 2 stroke if you were attempting to clean up carbon deposits in the combustion chamber or having a carburetor contamination issue, but at what ratio and is it worth the risk of lubrication failures?  Easy enough to remove and clean the carburetor.  Or inspect for carbon fouled combustion chamber.  

I'm not saying its a bad choice, but just trying to understand the pros to adding it to the fuel supply on a 2 stroke.

sablatnic

Drooling fuel? How, out the intake? How is the spark arrester??

donbj

Ethanol fuel at 10% is half a litre in 5 litres of fuel. The ratio of seafoam recommended added as stabilizer is almost insignificant in a non ethanol fuel. Just an opinion. I've had good results with it.

sprucebunny

The fuel is drooling out by the sprocket. The muffler thing looks slightly oily.

I did happen to put a half capful of Seafoam in it to try to clean the carb. Didn't run any better. I'll try it again this afternoon before I take anything apart.

The other saw just like it which is a year older has been sitting even longer but it started up and runs just fine so I can finish whacking alder before the ice gets weak.

Guydreads

That sounds pretty bad. Sounds like one of your crank seals is out. Probably clutch side. Maybe I'm not understanding you correctly

Tacotodd

Trying harder everyday.

donbj

Quote from: sprucebunny on March 10, 2021, 07:06:29 AM
The fuel is drooling out by the sprocket. The muffler thing looks slightly oily.

I did happen to put a half capful of Seafoam in it to try to clean the carb. Didn't run any better. I'll try it again this afternoon before I take anything apart.

The other saw just like it which is a year older has been sitting even longer but it started up and runs just fine so I can finish whacking alder before the ice gets weak.
Well that changes things. I assumed it was drooling out of the carb, darn assumptions :D

Tacotodd

Seafoam has to have time to "chemically" work. It slowly softens carbon which causes it to release upon vigorous and "excited" running, like in an engine piston. And in turn, combustion chamber. It also cleans out the fuel system by doing its best to keep everything spotless. But I still wouldn't run it all the time. Just about the capful once a year. 
Trying harder everyday.

btulloh

Good info on the seafoam. Thanks for posting that. 
HM126

sprucebunny

I've decided to replace all the gas. I don't like the looks of the one gallon container that is about full. Like it hasn't enough Ultra in it. 

Need to drive a couple towns away to get the no ethanol.

Used a Milwaukee cordless sawzall to whack alders today :)  It's not as fast at all but I don't have to wear chaps. Weight is about the same.

Guydreads

Um. Changing your gas is not gonna fix a leaking crank seal btw. Like bad gas isn't gonna just seep through the seal cause it is bad. Just saying, before more damage replace that thing.

sprucebunny

It was the spark arrestor. About 80% plugged up. Got that clean and new fuel and it runs fine again.

Thanks, @sablatnic and everyone else for your ideas.

sawguy21

:D The simplest things can drive ya nuts.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

sprucebunny

I knew my MS180s pretty well. The MS193 and 192 are a different format. I haven't had a bit of trouble with them until this so don't know thier little problems. 

sablatnic

donbj

Thank You Sponsors!