iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A Forestry Forum snake hunting trip

Started by WV Sawmiller, Today at 02:40:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

trapper and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

WV Sawmiller

Tom (Old Greenhorn), Howard (WV Sawmiller) and Doc Henderson decide to go on an adventure safari of sorts. It has been a long cold winter and Tom suggests some place warm and not too expensive as he spent too much money buying and outfitting his box truck and the shows have been pretty slow.

Howard suggests they go to the Everglades and go python hunting and with the money they make catching snakes they can off-set the cost of their trip and maybe even make a little money. Doc is not too sure that is a good idea but he figures he can get a new Nature Badge for is Scout Master Uniform.

They meet outside Everglades city and go to their Air B&B and unpack. Doc is a little uncertain about the B&B when he sees the Vultures roosting in the dead live oak in the yard. Tom asks about the big tracks and drag marks in the mud in the back yard leading up to the porch but Howard assures them it is nothing to worry about. He brags on getting such a good rate on the place because the last customers kept complaining about skunk-apes and such in the woods nearby.

They get a semi-good night's sleep with the owls hooting, bull frogs (or was that gators) bellowing and a funny odor from the woods nearby get up the next morning and Howard fixes a big pot of grits to fuel everyone up for the day ahead. Doc is a little dubious but admits they aren't too bad. Tom's comments can't be repeated here on a family site.

They climb aboard the swamp buggy that came with the B&B and Tom's experience with equipment comes in to play and they finally get it started and head off into the swamp. A few miles later Doc spot a hammock or patch of high ground and opines that looks like a good place to start hunting so they park the buggy and have a quick team meeting.

Howard grabs a couple of pillow cases he brought from the B&B because they forgot to pack any catch bags for their trip. Tom asks what a python looks like. Howard says they are different shades of brown (Which will almost certainly look purple to Tom anyway) with some black lines. Tom asks how you catch them and Doc says on all the shows he has watched they look around till the spot movement then lunge in and grab it by the tail and pull it out till they can get the head then put it in the bag.

Tom says he thinks he understand the concept and they spread out and start walking through the palmettoes and sawgrass. Tom yells out "I think I see something moving by a big log over here. Howard replies for him to grab it quick before it escapes in a hole or something. Tom makes a quick grab and gets a secure grip. He says "I've got him but I'm having trouble pulling him out of the bushes." Howard replies "Just hold tight and he will get tired and come free. Hold on, we're coming to help"
Tom yells "I think he's slipping. I should have him any minute. It's a big one!" Howard and Doc arrive to the scene below:

IMG_4012.JPG
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

barbender

Too many irons in the fire

doc henderson

OK Howard, check the weekly organizer and make sure you have had your medication.  Is that one of your benches in the lower right-hand corner?  OMG OGH!
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Magicman

I notice that my initials are penciled in just in front of the snake's business end, and I deny everything.  :lipsrsealed2:
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

And what happens next? 
I kinda expected it to have 2 legs.  ffcheesy
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: thecfarm on Today at 05:12:25 PMAnd what happens next?
I kinda expected it to have 2 legs.  ffcheesy
Ray,

This is where you and other members pick up this thread to continue it. :wink_2:
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

doc henderson

Its art man, up to each individual to interpret.   ffcheesy ffcheesy ffcheesy
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Thank You Sponsors!