iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Farm Boss 029 cutting out again ??

Started by tstex, November 27, 2010, 12:00:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tstex

Happy Thanksgiving to All,

Been awhile since I have been on the boards, hope you all are doing well.

My 029 starts ok, a little boggy the first 3-5 sec's, but then starts performing normally.  Then after 3-5 minutes, it's like it runs out of gas and dies.  Cannot restart at all regardless of how many times I try.

Filter is pretty clean, s-plug good, gas might not be totally the best, but the 023 gets the same age/type/kind of gas and never has the same problem and always keeps operating.  Have had the 029 for about 12-13 yrs.

My usage is very sporadic at best and may not be used for months, then 1-2 times one weekend or a lot one weekend when I start cutting for firewood.

Thank you very much for your advice and pls let me know if you have any questions?  I really look forward to getting the 029 back-up and running fulltime.

Best Regards,
tstex

pineywoods

Fuel pickup hose inside the gas tank is a known problem with the  029. I think the goofy thing is temp sensitive, gets limber and opens up a crack when it warms up. Mine has an additional funny. takes 5 pulls to start it, every time. Runs good once started.

Welcome back 8)
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Al_Smith

It can only be two things.Either it runs out of spark or the fuel delivery is bad .If it dies on the vine give it shot of mix right down the carb.If it fires you have carb problems,if not likely the coil is getting funky .

As old as it is most likely the carb needs a rebuild .It should have a Walbro model HD which is pretty simple .Just follow the directions on Walbro's web site .

tstex

Guys,

Thank you very much for your responses.  I will be out there again this Wednesday and will try to troubleshoot.  If there are any specific instructions I need to follow or if someone has some steps/diagrams, it would be appreciated.  ie, Does anyone have a link to the applicable Walbro HD website?

Finally, I am avoiding the final option of taking the 029 into a shop, due mainly because I really like the sense of satisfaction of finding the real problem and then getting the right parts to fix it.  If I do need to take it in and have a carb overhaul, does anyone have a general price range on what that should cost from an honest service dealer.

Again, thank you very much for your support, it is appreicated.

Regards,
tstex

Coon

There could also be one other problem not mentioned.  The fuel system may not be venting properly and air locking.  Simple solution to test out... run saw until it quits on you and when it does open your fuel cap and close again.  If there seems to be a vaccuum when you open it the system is not venting.  I am not sure what type of venting system is on your saw but on the huskies there is a vent that goes directly into the fuel tank, if I am correct.   
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Thank You Sponsors!