iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sick puter

Started by LeeB, July 13, 2008, 06:13:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bedway

I have the payed for avg version. About a week ago the system started telling me my anti virus and spyware was outdated. I tried to update and its not working. The screen shows its in the update mode, but its not downloading anything. I emailed tech. support last week and still waiting for a responce.

Warbird

FDH, just did a quick google search and THIS is what I found.

Clicking on the first link in that search and following a couple of other links, I got to this post which seems like it might be helpful.  Also, it seems like they say removal might be to "AVG Delete" the file and not trying cleaning it?

Hope you find something useful and get 'er taken care of.

Fla._Deadheader

Did another scan with AVG 8.0 and did it with system restore not activated. Didn't come up with the Trojan. Re activated System restore, and might try the long hard road this evening, when I can get downloads quicker  ::)

Thanks for all the help.

Hope some of this helps LeeB.  ???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Fla._Deadheader

Did some investigation of my programs, and, seems that the Trojan I had, was connected to Adobe 8 somehow ???

I removed that from my computer ???

Will this eliminate it ???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Tom Sawyer

Quote from: BillG on July 14, 2008, 12:35:52 AM

I agree with maestro, the reason Macs don't get "sick" (as often) is primarily because there aren't that many people writing bugs for it (yet).  For now though I love my Mac....

I have been hearing this every since I went Mac 3 years ago.  So far it has simply not proven to be true even though Apple is now the #3 computer company in the world in sales and sells 66% of computers over $1000.  And please don't tell me that Macs are so much more expensive.  It has been shown over and over that there is no price difference between a Mac and a comparably equipped PC.  I don't want to cause a fight here ::), but so much of the information about Macs that I read comes from people who don't use Macs and is simply not true.

Let the rebuttals begin ;D ;D

Tom

maestro

This has nothing to do with the price of the machine, it's more to do with the challenge of cracking Microsoft's code.  Microsoft is the industry standard, it's the biggest big fish in the pond.  It's simply the preferred target because it's considered more "corporate" and Mac is considered more "rebel".  I'd switch to Mac in a heartbeat if I could play my games on it without a bunch of hullaballoo.  I'm not a Windows freak, just a gamer who uses the machine that is easiest for me.  I've talked to hackers and script kiddies over the years, was a closet coder myself during my misguided youth, and Microsoft just "is" the target.  No rhyme, no reason...just "is".  I guess they represent "the man" so to speak.   Since I had to grow up and earn a living, I've also become "the man".  Sigh....
For in the true nature of things, if we rightly consider, every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold and silver.  Martin Luther

maestro

I would also like to remind everyone that Mac/PC is like apples/cucumbers, both good to eat but you wouldn't substitute one for the other.  Apple Corp. makes a system, hardware AND software.  Microsoft makes software ONLY that has to be compatible with dozens of other hardware platforms.  Apple is more stable and secure because they are in control of everything, Windows has to be more general to work with all the other PC makers.  The Mac/PC commercials are misleading because Microsoft doesn't MAKE its own hardware but Apple does.  One of the biggest weaknesses Microsoft has is because it needs to be more generic across the board in order to work on IBM, Dell, HP, Acer, etc...Mac OS just needs to work on a Mac.
For in the true nature of things, if we rightly consider, every green tree is far more glorious than if it were made of gold and silver.  Martin Luther

Warbird

People target MS systems because there are more of them.  It is plain numbers.

maestro, you can do a BootCamp installation of XP on an Intel Mac (which Apple does not make, obviously).  Then you simply hold down the option key while booting, select the Windows partition and it will boot Windows natively.  Plays games *very* well this way.  It does not play games well if you are running the Windows installation as a VM through Parallels. 

Tom Sawyer

LeeB

Thanks to all and dogged peseverance an my part, I think I am about to get this bug whupped. I managed to keep it occupied long enough by opening several different tabs that i was able to download AVG. Seems to have mostly kicked it's butt. Not gonna hold my breath, but at least I can get online now. Thanks for all the help from every one.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Warbird

May I ask why you don't do a format and reinstall of the OS?  If your system really was that heavily infected, you could have a key logger installed or something else icky.  Don't want to sound all doom and gloom but I always like to err on the side of caution once a system is known to be infected/compromised.

LeeB

cuzz I don't have a disc. at some point I upgraded to XP pro, don't remember when or how, but now I don't have a disc to reload with.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Thank You Sponsors!