iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Frozen Puter

Started by Wes, December 19, 2003, 08:12:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wes

Does anyone else have trouble with their woodmizer accuset or setworks in cold weather?
 Last winter I had trouble with mine whenever it got below 20 f , couldnt push the buttons,and slow or no readout. I called my WM rep. he said the puter was good for -20f , then I spoke to a local equipment mechanic and he told me that the puters on his equipment are only good to 20f .
 Id rather not mill when its that cold anyway but the payments wont wait for warm weather, last winter i solved this problem by heating myself and the unit with a fire barrel but id like to solve this more permately. I was thinking of looking for some type of 12v heat tape or something to wrap around the unit.
 Any suggestions??
 Wes

BBTom

Wes,
Sounds like you need the setworks upgrade.  It isn't perfect in real cold weather, but it is a wack and a half better. Talk to your woodmizer Rep. they should be able to take care of getting that ordered for you.  
2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

ADfields

What about a clamp on lamp with a 12 volt RV light bulb clamped to the control box?

Like this one in the link below but they are around 10 bucks at Walmart, bit over priced hear.
http://www.emilysplants.com/My_store_pages/dayspotclamponlight.html

Radient heat is what you want I would think and you can find 12 volt heaters that are for cars now.
Andy

Neil_B

Hey Wes, if you are close to a power source, you could use one of those magnetic oil pan heaters for cars. WM setworks box is metal isn't it? Mine is fiberglass so it wouldn't work for me but I like the light bulb idea.
Timberwolf / TimberPro sawmill, Woodmizer edger, both with Kubota diesels. '92 Massey Ferguson 50H backhoe, '92 Ford F450 with 14' dump/ flatbed and of course an '88 GMC 3500 pickup.

Wes

Some good ideas, yeah the remote operator station is metal and the mill is only 2 years old, the heating system has to be powered by the mill. that reminds me, I was also thinking of hooking some 12v lites on the mill.
 Thanks for the ideas.
 Wes

Wes

BBTom, I just checked out your web site, I am thinking about taping a fiew maples this season, do you also sell taps ect. or know of a good site where I can find this equipment?
  Wes

Jason_WI

You will want to regulate the heat from any source that you use. It would be very easy to melt wires or overheat the LCD, and related electronics.

I have yet to see any LCD work to -20 F. There are extended temp range LCD's but I believe only have a range to 0 C or 32F.

Now if Wood-Mizer engineers were smart :>) they would use VFD (Vaccum Flouresent Displays) displays like they use in gas pump displays. Futaba is one company the makes these. Very easy to read in direct sunlight,  dark and has an operating range down to -20F.

Jason

Norwood LM2000, 20HP Honda, 3 bed extentions. Norwood Edgemate edger. Gehl 4835SXT

Minnesota_boy

That's a good idea, Jason.  But what will us guys that like to work in the cold do?  :o

I find that at -20 F, other things do not sork so well either.  I keep tripping the circuit breakers on the feed and the height adjustment and the fuel pump on the engine will not keep up with the engine's fuel requirement.  Guess I'll limit myself to -15 F or warmer.  ;D
I eat a high-fiber diet.  Lots of sawdust!

ADfields

Minnesota_boy I'm glad I live in Alaska where it's a balmy +20 outside.  ;D   I hide by the wood stove when it's below zero out!!! ;)
Andy

Bibbyman

I don't know if I'd use one of those megnetic clamp on heaters for fear of what the megnetic field would do to the electronics.  ???

We've not ran our WM many times below 20 but I can't remember it not working when it was cold.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

BBTom

Wes,
Sorry for the delay, I didn't get back to the puter for a day or two.  Yes, the people I deal with have their web site up and running.  it is athttp://bascommaple.com/.  The new health spouts are great, and do so little damage to the tree.
2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

Jason_WI

Bibby,

Magnetic fields shouldn't hurt elecrtonic circuits. The only time something might happen is if you use Hall effect sensors.

EMC is a different storey though.....

Jason
Norwood LM2000, 20HP Honda, 3 bed extentions. Norwood Edgemate edger. Gehl 4835SXT

Wes

Im not looking to mill in sub zero temps. but I would like to get started first thing in the morning before it warms up.

Ive worked in -30f before rite here in jersey and if I have a choise I will stay inside next time.It kind of hurts your nose.

How about mounting a lite bulb or heating element inside the control box?

BBTom, Thanks for the link, I like the used equp. section.

Thanks for all the input guys.

Wes

Thank You Sponsors!