iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Programming WM Accuset 2 - pattern mode

Started by Bibbyman, May 17, 2009, 06:20:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

willowrunlmbr

Woodsmills1

I would not reccomend smashin your accuset 1.  I have a '03 lt40 super with the accuset 2 on it and have been a little disappointed.  Now I am not bashin woodmizer at all, I know they have put a tremendous effort into the Accuset 2 and Marty Parsons and Jeremy from NY have proved to be very helpful in trying to troubleshoot some problems we have been having. I also know that some people have had no trouble at all, we just werent that lucky.  That said the only problem we had with the old accuset was that it occasionally lost its place in pattern mode.  This new accuset is faster but it is supposedly extremely sensitive to voltage spikes and we have been having some problems that have cost me a lot of money in downtime and lost/cancelled jobs.  I saved my old accuset and if we cant figure out how to solve these error messages (I have replaced just about everthing at least once, and torqued nuts beyond tight) very shortly, I am gonna put the accuset one back on, because even though it occasionally lost its place and was slower, it worked.  So even though you may not need it it never hurts to have a spare.
Super LT40G36, JD544B, NH LX 885, coupla stihls, sore back, and never enough time

backwoods sawyer

Quote from: willowrunlmbr on June 01, 2009, 06:30:31 PM
Woodsmills1

I would not reccomend smashin your accuset 1.  I have a '03 lt40 super with the accuset 2 on it and have been a little disappointed.  Now I am not bashin woodmizer at all, I know they have put a tremendous effort into the Accuset 2 and Marty Parsons and Jeremy from NY have proved to be very helpful in trying to troubleshoot some problems we have been having. I also know that some people have had no trouble at all, we just werent that lucky.  That said the only problem we had with the old accuset was that it occasionally lost its place in pattern mode.  This new accuset is faster but it is supposedly extremely sensitive to voltage spikes and we have been having some problems that have cost me a lot of money in downtime and lost/cancelled jobs.  I saved my old accuset and if we cant figure out how to solve these error messages (I have replaced just about everthing at least once, and torqued nuts beyond tight) very shortly, I am gonna put the accuset one back on, because even though it occasionally lost its place and was slower, it worked.  So even though you may not need it it never hurts to have a spare.

I can understand your frustration.
When I bought my mill it was on its fourth Accuset, and in the first two years, I went thru three more along with multiples of each of the components that connect to it.
In the process I brought in an electrical engineer and he redesigned a couple of the components and solved the over heating problems I was having with the mosfet module. Woodmizer Portland got a little hot under the collar over that but it cost me less then what I was paying for replacement parts. However, since the new Accuset 2 came along I have not had any problems. It has been like having a new mill.
I do not know if you are running the same alternator that I have on my mill, but while I was having all of the problems, I found that the wire from the alternator to the battery was maxed out with the distance it has to go. Therefore, I ran a second wire of equal size along side it to lighten the load and that took care of some of the voltage spikes that I had been having. I keep all of my electrical boxes tightly sealed and spotless in side, dust can be a real problem as well.
I hope you are able to solve your problems with the Accuset 2 soon.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

willowrunlmbr

backwoods sawyer,

thanks for the info, I have the original alternater on the mill, it has been tested by a local shop to be ok, but I believe I might try your reccomendation and see if it might help our situation. any help is greatly appreciated.  Thanks
Super LT40G36, JD544B, NH LX 885, coupla stihls, sore back, and never enough time

woodmills1

my accuset expeience so far has been just completly amazing, I am up to 245 bd ft per hr working alone using the mill and the edger separatley.  I can run fast enough to run them both at the same time.  When the 70 is used to cut a cant leaving the boards in place it is a thing of beauty.  It literaly flies through the cant, up, back and then down and forward and ready as I slow the speed to enter.  No more cigaretts while I cut cants for me.

It did get confused once.  It was raining and I was trying to program a pattern and it put the little < sign on all of the numbers.  I turned it of waited and then back on it was fine.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Bibbyman

Advanced trick with Accuset 2...

Maybe you've already figured this out but just in case you haven't..

I've found that I can turn the ignition switch from "Run" to "Accessory" real fast and the Accuset 2 will stay booted up and still in the mode it was in.   This may not be off much importance to you guys with engines but for us guys with electric motors tend to turn our mills off and back on a lot, it can save time.

The way this helps is;  Say you're sawing a beam and have to make some measurements to make sure the heart is centered, etc.  You saw through and then you want to turn off the engine/motor while you're turning and making your measurements.   You can quickly turn the ignition switch from "Run" to "Accessory" and the Accuset is still active.  Pull the slab.  Make your turn.  Make your measurements, level your log and anything else you need to do.  Then adjust the head to your next cut.  Fire up the mill and start cutting.  About 6' down the cut, and the Accuset will be booted up and ready to go but you're already sawing.  You didn't have to wait for the Accuset to boot up and then move the head to the next cut, etc.

Another way I used this same trick is when I've made my last cut.  I'll set the Accuset to "Go to 12".  As soon as the blade clears the cant, I'll bump the Up switch and I'll disengage the motor with the AutoClutch.  When the AutoClutch has completed its cycle, I'll turn the ignition switch from "Run" to "Accessory".   The head will continue to rise to the "Go to 12" mark as I bring it back home. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

backwoods sawyer

When I fire up the mill it usually stays running until lunchtime or later. But along the same lines as what you are doing. When I have just a few of an odd size to cut, I will program in the changes and not save them. When I am finished milling them, I turn the switch off and back on and the accuset goes back to the settings that were there before the changes.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Magic Smoke

willowrunlmbr,
Are you still having issues? If so, what kind of error messages are you seeing?

lakeview lumber

we installed simple set set works this winter i  like it sure beats trying to read the scale  and my lumber is turning out nice and even
but after some weeks now it sometimes just fades away
and i can not move the saw  up or down
the motor still starts and it is not a short
i open the panel and checked some wires  and then it works again
has anybody else run into that
lakeview

DR Buck

Sounds like you might have a loose connection in there.   I'd disconnect the battery and tighten all the connections in the box.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Bibbyman

Sawing since '94

bugdust

Great info Bibbyman! When Marty installed my Accuset 2 he explained in detail the set ups, but for me a picture is worth a thousand words. Until now I've never really understood this setting and greatly appreciate your input. Just completed sawing out Hemlock material for my church's 24'X40' picnic shelter. Now that this project is completed I'm looking at 70-2"X8"X12' for a customer. After the long WV winter it sure is good to be making dust again.
Since I retired I really like work: It fascinates me. I can sit and look at it for hours.

Magicman

Welcome to The Forestry Forum lakeview lumber...... :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Magic Smoke

Have you guys discovered this neat hidden feature with Accuset 2; while in the manual mode, if you hit the "Down Arrow", the head will move to the nearest whole number...sounds trivial, but kinda nice if you want to get to a whole number without bumping the head back-and-forth trying to get it right on the number.

Bibbyman

Quote from: Magic Smoke on April 17, 2010, 09:41:12 AM
Have you guys discovered this neat hidden feature with Accuset 2; while in the manual mode, if you hit the "Down Arrow", the head will move to the nearest whole number...sounds trivial, but kinda nice if you want to get to a whole number without bumping the head back-and-forth trying to get it right on the number.

I use it real often.  Comes in handy when we're sawing some old cants like 7x9 RR ties down to 2x6s.  When you don't want to go and make a program to saw out a few. 

What would be nice .... if pushing the DOWN arrow would make it drop to the lower whole number - no matter if it was above the half mark.  And then program the UP arrow to go UP to the next whole number. 
Sawing since '94

Bibbyman

Note to self....  If you're going to make another video where you're hands are up close all the time, clean your fingernails!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S1mzRYJ1vHQ

I made a video of a bit of the features of the Wood-Mizer Accuset 2.  How it works and a bit of how to program and use it. 

It's L O N G....  But it's just the tail of the elephant.
Sawing since '94

Thank You Sponsors!