iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodmizer

Started by KDEC19, December 21, 2011, 09:01:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KDEC19

Did mizer stop putting the cat motors on the mills. ie cat 51   and if so I was wondering if anyone knew why.  where they to heavy....thanks...
gonna do it again......

Mo

That is correct, we only carry Yanmar now. We had both for a long time but, that makes for a expensive inventory so we opted to drop one, and since Yanmar was a tier 4 engine and Catapiler was not we chose Yanmar.
Happy sawing,
Mo

cypresskayaksllc

what happened to the kabota?
LT40HDDR, JD950FEL, Weimaraner

Peter Drouin

whats a 4 tier engine ?
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

dgdrls

"Tier 4 refers to a generation of federal air emissions standards established by the U.S.
Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) that apply to new diesel engines used in off-road
equipment. Essentially it requires manufacturers to reduce the levels of particulate matter
and oxides of nitrogen (NOx) to a level that is 50-96 percent lower than existing generation
of diesel engines"

www.aem.org/PDF/DTF_Tier4WP_FIN.pdf

DGDrls

beenthere

We desperately need to get rid of EPA, and its regs over the last 20-30 years.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Peter Drouin

thanks dgdrls. Im glad I have my cat on my lt 40 it runs well . tier 1 or 2 ? I don;t know :)
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

John S

beenthere,
I agree with you 100%.  Farting outdoors will soon be illegal, unless it already is!
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

red oaks lumber

how does this math work? my skidsteer has a tier 3 diesel motor yr 2010. my old one yr 2007 had the same size motor everything, the new one burns 2x amount of fuel but, the epa says this newer motor is cleaner emissions how does that math work? twice of anything is more no matter what :P
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

JP135

Quote from: red oaks lumber on December 22, 2011, 07:17:39 PM...how does that math work?

Facts divided by politician opinions multiplied by government bureaucracy = whatever EPA wants it to be.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

I heard the EPA was gonna be one of our sponsors starting 2012. :D :D :D :D :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

ladylake

Quote from: John S on December 22, 2011, 05:51:51 PM
beenthere,
I agree with you 100%.  Farting outdoors will soon be illegal, unless it already is!

And they'll put a tax on it.      Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

NMFP

What diesel engines are people using to replace worn out Lombardinis?  my mill has about 4000 hours on the second engine and starting to show signs of wear, especially blow by.  I do like the Yanmar engines and Lombardini but are there any other options you guys like?

cypresskayaksllc

Too bad theres not a solar powered woodmizer. Emission free sawmilling. I like the EPA and its mission
LT40HDDR, JD950FEL, Weimaraner

Ohio_Bill

Quote from: NMFP on December 22, 2011, 09:13:26 PM
What diesel engines are people using to replace worn out Lombardinis?  my mill has about 4000 hours on the second engine and starting to show signs of wear, especially blow by.  I do like the Yanmar engines and Lombardini but are there any other options you guys like?

If I am looking at Woodmizer's Web site right  , they still offer the Lombardini  as a option and it is 2K cheaper than the Yanmar .
Bill
USAF Veteran  C141 Loadmaster
LT 40 HDD42-RA   , Allis Chalmers I 500 Forklift , Allis Chalmers 840 Loader , International 4300 , Zetor 6245 Tractor – Loader ,Bob Cat 763 , Riehl Steel Edger

Magicman

Quote from: NMFP on December 22, 2011, 09:13:26 PM
What diesel engines are people using to replace worn out Lombardinis?

For $4900, I will replace it with another Lombardini.  I have no idea how many hours are on mine.  The second hour meter shows 5700 and counting.

I change the oil/filter every 125 hours.  I had the valves checked/adjusted at 2680 hours and had the timing belt replaced at 4150 hours.  My shop guy said the valves were not out of adjustment and the timing belt looked good.  I had the alternator rebuilt this Summer and the starter rebuilt this week.  I'll pick it up from the shop tomorrow.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

eastberkshirecustoms

Instead of pushing for cleaner running diesel engines, I think the EPA should be pushing for cleaner running diesel fuel, instead of the No. 2 crap being forced on us in this country. Most countries across the world run No. 1 and don't have the emissions problems.

Kansas

Quote from: cypresskayaksllc on December 22, 2011, 09:59:10 PM
Too bad theres not a solar powered woodmizer. Emission free sawmilling. I like the EPA and its mission

If you want to go greener, you might consider switching to biodiesel. We did at one point for blade lubrication. Lot more friendly to the offbearers. We quit because the stuff gels so bad, plus was a pain running and getting it. Where your in Florida, you shouldn't have to worry about the gelling problem.

On another note, I thought number 2 diesel actually got better fuel mileage than number one, which I would have guessed means lower  emissions. Only time I ever run number 1 is when the very cold weather hits. Diesel guys around here would know more than me about it.

submarinesailor

Quote from: eastberkshirecustoms on December 23, 2011, 07:22:08 PM
Most countries across the world run No. 1 and don't have the emissions problems.

With all due respect.  From what I can find and have been trained on, #1 is Kerosene, not diesel fuel.  And quoting Wikipedia:

The allowable sulfur content for ULSD (15 ppm) is much lower than the previous U.S. on-highway standard for low sulfur diesel (LSD, 500 ppm) which allows advanced emission control systems to be fitted that would otherwise be poisoned by these compounds. These systems can greatly reduce emissions of oxides of nitrogen and particulate matter.

Because this grade of fuel is comparable to European grades and engines will no longer have to be redesigned to cope with higher sulfur content and may use advanced emissions control systems which can be damaged by sulfur, the ULSD standard is increasing the availability of diesel-fueled passenger cars in the U.S. In Europe, diesel-engined automobiles have been much more popular with buyers than has been the case in the U.S."

Summarizing what is stated above;  The USA uses 15 PPM and the European standard is 10PPM.  To put this in perspective;  China and several other counties use 2000 PPM fuel with no limit in parts of Argentina.  The Russians in some places are using fuel that has a MINIMUM of 5000 PPM.

Most of the time the diesel fuel manufactured within North America is outstanding.  It gets to be junk when it is not cycled though the storage systems.  Where it becomes contaminated with water and this water allows stuff to grow in it.

So in my trained opinion, the US may not have the best diesel fuel in the world, it is as good as the Europeans and a lot better than most of the world.  BTW - who has the best (CLEANEST), the Swedes.  Their new standard is 0 to 3 PPM.

One more thing;  don't forget that cleanliness or the amount of sulfur and other contaminants does not change or determine the grade.  It's the viscosity and BTU content the sets the grade.

Bruce

MartyParsons

Hello,
Lombardini was purchased by Kohler. So it would be a Kohler Diesel Engine designed by Lombardini.
Thanks
Marty
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

Magicman

Thanks Marty.  That is an interesting tidbit to know.  I assume that WM will continue to stock these replacement engines.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

eastberkshirecustoms

Quote from: Kansas on December 23, 2011, 07:45:30 PM
If you want to go greener, you might consider switching to biodiesel.

I run a WVO/kerosene mix in my diesels, not to be greener necessarily (well maybe my pocket). It is time consuming to filter and thin but drops my fuel price to about $1.50/gallon. It sure smells nice though, kinda makes you hungry. The down side is it does have a tendency to gel quicker in the cold, but heated fuel filter housings help offset the frigid temps.

eastberkshirecustoms

Quote from: submarinesailor on December 23, 2011, 07:57:13 PM
With all due respect.  From what I can find and have been trained on, #1 is Kerosene, not diesel fuel.
I do agree with many of the points you made, however there is still a difference in the fuels. The differences between Kerosene, No.1, and No.2  are the hydrocarbon chains that are separated and concentrated during refining and the additives applied to each. K-1 Kerosene, No.1 diesel, and JP4 jet fuel  are closely related to each other.  No.1 and JP4 have higher allowable sulfur than K-1. No.1 is also a shorter hydrocarbon blend and has better solvent properties than No.2. Yes, No.2 does have a higher BTU rating and should produce more power and better mileage.

I was actually referring to European countries in my previous post, not countries like China. Thank you for clarifying ;)

Thank You Sponsors!