iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Our operation is underway!

Started by OlJarhead, March 07, 2011, 12:00:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hilltop366

Nice! Thanks for the tour, my wife suggested that maybe we could trade a few nights at each others cabins, its only a 53 hour drive. :o

OlJarhead

Hey!  Has it been that long?  I was thinking of posting my latest and was searching for offgrid and I found this old thread LOL so what the heck!

For those who haven't seen my YT channel here is my latest cabin vid:
We've Got Too Much Snow On The Roof! Off-Grid Cabin In Winter. - YouTube

Meanwhile I've ordered some 120AH 24v LiPo batteries to install in the heated back room and then I'll move the offgrid solar stuff back there and get it off the porch.  I'm stoked about this as I've wanted to do it for a long time but the cost of getting LiPo's was holding me back.  Now, at $3300 give or take they were reasonable enough since I was looking at around half that for FLA's that I'd need this spring/summer anyway.

So, I'll be getting those installed and even though I'm replacing a 660AH battery bank with 360AH's in reality I'm getting a LOT more reserve capacity!  Since with Lead batteries you really only use about 20% max before you start to sweat (because you will reduce life cycles by going much lower) that means I really could only use a max of 132AH before I had better get the generator running vs now I could use 288AH before sweating and even then, not really.  You see these batteries have 4000-5000 cycles at 100% DoD (Depth of Discharge) so about 10 to 14 years of life vs something like 27 years if you don't draw them down below 80% DoD and since I'll likely keep them between 15 and 40% I should have them for as long as we are at the cabin :D

It also means less space, nothing on the porch anymore (and not in eyesite) and no more worrying about Hydrogen gas or water levels :D  Woot!
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

OlJarhead

https://youtu.be/TlcZp3flr7E
Here's the start of our next cabin adventure 😀

Peter Drouin

So much work and so little time. And the older I get, I think what the hell am I doing, making more work for myself with projects. ;) 
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

OlJarhead

I hear ya lol my sister told me she was laughing at me for saying I didn't have to do anything in one breath and then pointing out all the things I planned to do  ;D

Then said " but I know you and you and Darci just always work hard because it's what you do!"

OlJarhead

Our new batteries arrived this weekend!  Cant wait for good weather to get these up to the cabin!

Dewey

Quote from: Magicman on March 07, 2011, 07:39:31 AM
Looking  :o good with your sawing.   :)

Quote from: OlJarhead on March 07, 2011, 12:59:14 AM
Then we'll plane it and mill it into T&G or Shiplap (still deciding there).

T&G, V groove is another option.  While emphasizing the cracks the V seems to minimize the appearance of any expanded cracks.

This is a V groove ceiling.
Nickle Gap is another option....  I sell tons of it

OlJarhead

beenthere

This forum getting 5% for this marketing of a product? just curious.. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

OlJarhead

Southside

The post you had about using your influencer code to get a "special deal", you know exactly which post I am referring to. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Jeff

I got a cabin, maybe I should get the really really special deal for the promotion eh?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

OlJarhead

Quote from: Southside on March 14, 2023, 09:35:37 PM
The post you had about using your influencer code to get a "special deal", you know exactly which post I am referring to.
Ahhh, I didn't think it posted and had decided to not post it but it was gone so I thought it was just for the better as I recalled posting about selling my LT10 and there being a rule about sales etc.

When you posted I was confused because I didn't think the post was there so I asked.

It must have been deleted.

I meant no harm and frankly as a member is good standing who has literally advertised fir thus site on many videos and social media posts I'd hope someone would give me the benefit of the doubt.
I've been a member since 2010 and have always tried to play by the rules but frankly it's hard sometimes to remember them all between the many sites I post on.  So if I forget once in a while, I'm sorry, no harm is meant

Southside

Word salad? Really? 

I didn't ask you anything, I waited hours after deleting your post from which you would receive compensation, without following the same rules everyone else does here, and then I called you out on it. 

At first you were pushing the boundaries, now you're giving me a case of the ass. 

I expect better. 
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

OlJarhead

Actually I was at work, excited to share my new venture,  shared it in a few places where I post about my cabin build adventure and as I was at work and on my phone, did t really have to time to look or respond much.  When I saw your response I was confused because the post wasn't there and I thought, as in the past on my phone it didn't go through.

I was confused genuinely.

As for compensation lol sure I might make a few bucks, true, but it amounts to pennies a d I was just happy to share the 10% discount code.

As for my word salad I was trying to communicate that at least as a long standing member I could have received a pm saying something like "hey, don't forget the rules or something".  

I'll not make that mistake again.

Jeff

Erik, because of your longtime standing here, we do give you leeway on promoting your adventures that others might not get, but in your excitement for what you are doing and accomplishing, you have really stepped on some rules here of late while doing so, and saying you forgot the rules or where you were at, especially with your tenure, is well, lets just say not the best of excuses and not a good look. For what ever the reasons, you did, and that is why we got the reports.

Your post was up for almost 3 hours before it was removed, and the admins were directed to it from several directions because a lot of eyes saw it and some reported it. We get millions and millions of page views a month, and honestly, in the referrals, there are only about 3 members here that when they make a reference to the forum somewhere, we see a blip in membership or views. Many many of our members, old and new tell others about the forum and promote it because they know it is worthy. In absolute all honesty, and I do appreciate the efforts you make in telling about the forum, but I can't say I have ever saw anything in a reason for joining, or a http referral from a website or video link that told us, hey, oldjarhead sent this guy, but even if you sent 100, it would not change the rules for you.

Okay, lets just say mistakes were made, and not by the admins, and be done with it.    I appreciate you Erik. I do and as far as I am concerned I would just a soon forget about it.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

OlJarhead

My apologies.

I re-read the rules (it's been a long time) and I do see the comment about sales and hadn't connected those dots with things like affiliate programs but it makes perfect sense and I'll be sure to remember that.

I read them a couple times to be sure I don't run afoul of them again in the future!  I've always enjoyed the site and enjoyed sharing what I've learned and my enthusiasm and unfortunately in this case posted, figured it didn't make it through (like when you post and someone else posted before you and the site gives you a warning -- often I am moving so fast I think it posted and move on only to realize my post didn't actually go through) and just wasn't on long enough to see what occurred after I posted (I often pop in and out as you probably noticed).  So completely missed it.

Sorry about that!  And my apologies to Southside, my confusion obviously came across poorly and contributed to my later rather poor response.

OK, moving on.

Southside

JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Thank You Sponsors!