iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

tires gumming up blade

Started by addicted, July 12, 2019, 10:19:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

addicted

Hey Guys
 I cut up a good sized spruce tonight.  On the last cut, knowing that the blade is nearing its last cut before sharpening, it started to sound like pitch build up on the blade but the usual white ish spots were not showing up on the blade.
 I finished the last cut and noticed the gummed up blade was from the tires! The ez boardwalk 40 is 7 years old. Why would the tires leave rubber on the blade? 
I use a mix of water, pine sol and diesel in my lube tank. would this mix react to the rubber?

Thanks for any help
Rusty

Southside

If your blade was dull and getting hot enough it could melt rubber.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

caveman

Diesel does a great job cutting the pitch but will shorten the life of belts used as tires on the bandsaw mills (the rubber belts will start to feel slimy).  For what they cost to replace, it probably should be factored into the cost of doing business when sawing sappy species.
Caveman

YellowHammer

Any petroleum product will eventually break down or cause rubber to swell.  The rubber could be a little soft, the band could have gotten hot, etc.  Are they a little sticky?

I just order a couple of bandwheel belts every few boxes of bands and routinely swap them out. 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

addicted

Thanks guys
I guess I over estimated the blades ability to finish the log. Now how to clean rubber gum off the blade before sending it in for sharpening.

The tires on the band wheels have changed as well. Since new, they were somewhat loose on the wheel. Now they are very, very snug. Has anyone ever had a tire shrink because of excess heat?  I purchased a new set of B56 v belts and they too are very very tight. I seam to recall at least one saw manufacturer stating that a loose band wheel tire/belt will aid in cooling and help rid itself of saw dust build up. However my EZ Boardwalk came with a loose v belt and the paper work says to use a B56 as a replacement. That replacement size is very snug.
Any Boardwalk owners with guidance in v belt replacement?
Thanks
Rusty

YellowHammer

The LT40 class Woodmizer comes with B57 bandwheel belts, which is intentionally sized to be sloppy loose.  This helps keep sawdust from packing under the belt.  It looks a little odd, but works fine.  Same with my LT70, the belt is about one size too big "loose" but works fine.  It also makes them much easier to put on and take off.  

Maybe one of the Boardwalk users will chime in.  
YellowHammerisms:

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Oddman

I've got the boardwalk 40 as well, bought in November of last year so it may be an updated design. My belts/tires are a fairly snug fit, I wonder if the newer ones are speced out with tighter belts than yours was?
I don't have any experience changing them out yet so can't help you there.

ladylake

Quote from: YellowHammer on July 13, 2019, 04:16:29 PM
The LT40 class Woodmizer comes with B57 bandwheel belts, which is intentionally sized to be sloppy loose.  This helps keep sawdust from packing under the belt.  It looks a little odd, but works fine.  Same with my LT70, the belt is about one size too big "loose" but works fine.  It also makes them much easier to put on and take off.  

Maybe one of the Boardwalk users will chime in.  

In over 14000 hour I have never had 1 bit of sawdust under the B56 belts, there is no way it can get  under the belt.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

YellowHammer

Sounds like the old joke about the guy who was grilling burgers for a friend, in his backyard.  Every time an airplane flew over, the guy's dog would start barking like crazy and running from one end of the yard to the other, looking up at the airplane.  The guy's friend asked why the dog was doing that, and the guy remarked it was "to keep the planes from landing in the yard."  The friend said that was stupid, and the guy said "Well, it's worked so far.  We haven't had one land in the backyard yet." :D

Maybe it's the same with belts, either way works, it's whatever works for you.  
YellowHammerisms:

ladylake

There is no maybe about B56 belts, they don't get sawdust under them. Maybe the B57 belts work but I'll never use them.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Thank You Sponsors!