iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help with red pine log cabin

Started by chasenabby, April 12, 2012, 02:02:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chasenabby

All, I could use some advice. it seems a small fort for my children has now turned into a 12 x 12 red pine log cabin.
The crew I have is all under 15 with 3 girls and 1 boy. We are learing alot and it keeps them from texting and facebook!
My wife thinks we're all nuts!
I read on here that the best thing to do is to cut the logs, remove the bark and place on the wall.
We are in this processs and have 5 rows of logs stacked using the butt and pass method.
We intend to get the logs all put up and then frame a roof and add a tarp to keep the rain off.
Then we plan to let the logs dry to September and finish the cabin in the fall.

I have the following questions that maybe you all can help with.

1. Do I have to treat the wood while it is drying?
2. Is 4-5 months enough time to let the logs dry?
3. Using the butt and pass method with 7"-9" logs how far apart do you drill and install re-bar? the logs are currently nailed with 12" spikes on each end ond once in the middle.
4. Can we put the roof on while the logs are drying and omit the tarp?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
We are in Northern MI.

beenthere

Welcome to the forum.

As to the questions,
1. Don't know what would be a good treatment. For the life of the cabin and the time the kids will enjoy it, I'd leave it (as you have the bark off).

2. That time period will be good enough, and the logs don't need to dry before putting the roof on. Just realize that over time the logs will get dryer and shrink some in cross section.

3. I would't add any more "rebar" but figure the nails you are using will do the job.

4. I would go ahead and put the roof on. Save a step.

Any chance of some pics as you build?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

chasenabby

Thank you beenthere!
We plan on finishing the cabin before the snow flies.
I will try and get some pictures up later this week.
Now all we have todo is figure out how todo the roof and the floor.

chasenabby

Day 3
We are making progress.
Can't decide if we want to cut more trees to keep log diameter the same or finish with smaller logs.
I lay awake each night excited and trying to figure out the how to's.

samandothers

That is really fun and a great project with the kids!  I can remember building one with a friend as a kid.  It was great fun!

Thank You Sponsors!